Glass vs Screen in the north

Gfort04

My wife and I are in the process of getting everything together for our first panther.Growing up in FL we have never have had to deal with reptiles in colder climates but thanks to the military we are moving South Dakota. I've been reading a few post on the subject but they are all a few years old so I was interested in some more up to date opinions.

Either can work. Somewhat depends on what humidity and temperature you intend to keep you hours at (assuming the chams will be inside)

Some people go with screen cages that they then cover on back and sides with plastic as needed.

I have wood-framed cages, with plexiglass front doors.

My wife and I are in the process of getting everything together for our first panther.Growing up in FL we have never have had to deal with reptiles in colder climates but thanks to the military we are moving South Dakota. I've been reading a few post on the subject but they are all a few years old so I was interested in some more up to date opinions.

Being in Washington our humidity is fairly similar, as well it can get freakishly cold in the winters. I use screen enclosures and have never had an issue keeping the humidity or heat up. If you keep them in a smaller room that is well insulated you should be golden. Just be sure to purchase an accurate thermometer / hygrometer, one with a humidity accuracy within -/+2% and -/+1 for heat.

Here is a thermometer/hygrometer you may want to purchase
http://www.amazon.com/XIKAR-Digital...1_7?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1378240721&sr=1-7

After 18 years using screen cages. I now only have Exo-Terra glass enclosures.
They aren't perfect, but I believe they offer certain aspects that are superior to screen cages.

Here is a few to look at.

click the image

the very largest exo-terra I've seen was too small for an adult panther.
but there are other makers of glass enclosures :)

Why would you say that?

The 36"x18" exoterra footprint has the same square footage as a 24"x24" which almost everyone thinks is the standard for adult Panther Chameleons. They may be shorter by 12" but healthy Panthers rarely hang out in the lower portion anyways.

Infact I would say the use of space is actually better for panthers and many other chameleons than a 2'x2'x4'. ;)

Do you think 20 degrees is enough of a temp gradient? From 70- 90? Sorry I don't know the Celsius...

That what I achieve and it's quite significant. When you come to the NWCKS on September 14. You can see with your own eyes.:)

yup that's entirely adequate gradient :)

I don't know if I'll be able to make it on the 14th :(

Thanks for the input everyone. I forgot to mention I already have a 18x18x36 screen cage left over from when we raised crested geckos. I just didnt want to set it up and then transfer everything over if I knew it wouldn't work out to begin with.

I live in Michigan, and have had both screen and glass terrarium enclosures.

In my experience with the bipolar Michigan weather (which also aids in the bipolar inside-of-my-house temperatures), I prefer to have a screen enclosure for a number of reasons.

I found that, even with top and front ventilation, I was constantly worried that my gradients were messed up. My chameleon was all-around less active while in a glass enclosure, and this is just my experience/opinion. In no way does this ensure that every chameleon will be this way. Perhaps my male didn't like his reflection.

I also like how my screen enclosure dries out in a reasonable amount of time (I have a clear plastic shower curtain covering 3 sides of this enclosure to keep in humidity a bit).

I was always cleaning much more with a glass enclosure with no drainage system. I love my screen enclosures.

Your screen cage will be a great starter cage for a juvenile. Do your panther a favor and stay with screen. You can live in alaska or even the deserts of nevada and successfully keep in screen. Not sure if the exo-terras have a drainage hole but thats something to consider. You will have to buy a special bit for glass or may have to have a hole drilled. Just stay with screen :)

Screens allow more versatility as well because you can add in a shower curtain to keep the humidity up or remove it whenever you wish. With a glass enclosure there is limited space, the cost is higher, and you can't just convert it into an all screen enclosure.

After 18 years using screen cages. I now only have Exo-Terra glass enclosures.
They aren't perfect, but I believe they offer certain aspects that are superior to screen cages.

Here is a few to look at.

click the image

Where can I find the plants and the little potters you have hanging that they are in. I have been looking everywhere since I saw one of your set ups when I first started. Your set ups are great and they seem to be very effective as well as nice on the eyes.

Glass has no tangible advantage over screen. Humidity with most chameleons is way over-hyped.

While for panthers and veileds, its not nearly as much of a concern, when you're talking about most other chameleon species, and when you're keeping inside with central air or in cold winters where ambient humidity is very low, I couldn't disagree more!

Chris

I started with a veiled and a glass exo. At 6 month old he started clawing at the glass.It was like he Wes confused and could not see it was a barrier.After trying various things,with no change I saw his health slipping downward.I went to a screen enclosure.It was instant relief!He was calm started eating again,and got very territorial over his new home. lived to be 7 yrs old.The glass exo was a large one too..So all I can say is my experience has steered me far away from glass exo's for my purpose's

Glass cages are easier to keep the temperatures up in during the cold weather and in airconditioned rooms. Even when the cages have only screen lids and one screen side its hard to keep the temperatures up in a cold climate so you end up with a chameleon sitting in the basking area most of the day.

However, with glass cages you have to be sure not to let water lay stagnant on the floor of the cage.

Both screen and glass have advantages and disadvantages.

Hopefully I can chime in here becuase I live all the way up here in Alaska :) I have only screen enclosures and have no problem with tempature or humidity. Both my boys are very happy and warm all the time!

Back
Top Bottom