Glass or screen cage

Thanks much. I had my heart set on the flap neck. Although I consider myself to be a quick learner I respect your opinions. How about the panther below? I really like the color but the pic below isn’t of the actual Cham they’ll be shipping.They hatched in September and will be ready November /December, which gives me more than enough time to get my terrarium up and ready for the Cham. Until then I’ll still be searching for other options regarding which Cham to go with.
View attachment 249330
https://chameleonsonly.com/collecti...alia-hatched-september-2019-ready-est-nov-dec
That's a beautiful Nosy Be Panther chameleon right there.

Last edited:
Hello again, how about the Cham below? It’s a Blue Apache (nosy be)
is It considered a panther?or Veiled?or other?thanks much.chammy007

Last edited:
Thanks much. I had my heart set on the flap neck. Although I consider myself to be a quick learner I respect your opinions. How about the panther below? I really like the color but the pic below isn’t of the actual Cham they’ll be shipping.They hatched in September and will be ready November /December, which gives me more than enough time to get my terrarium up and ready for the Cham. Until then I’ll still be searching for other options regarding which Cham to go with.
View attachment 249330
https://chameleonsonly.com/collecti...alia-hatched-september-2019-ready-est-nov-dec

I think a panther would be a good call. I personally like them more than veileds, but they are more expensive. The issue is not so much whether or not you're a quick learner and more that if you get an import they may have underlying disease that will manifest later, regardless of your husbandry. It may also be difficult to recognize subtle signs of stress and/or illness if you don't have pre-existing experience with an animal that was not stressed or ill.

I love the Nosy Be panthers. Maybe I'll get one at some point down the line, but in the meantime I'll just have to be envious of the ones I see online.

I’ve decided I’m going with a Nosy Be Panther Cham, if I can find one. Before I commit to a cage should I get, for lack of a better term, a humidity meter first? thanks much.chammy007

Last edited:
I’ve decided I’m going with a Nosy Be Panther Cham, if I can find one. Before I commit to a cage should I get, for lack of a better term, a humidity meter?thanks much.chammy007
You'll want the cage, lighting, mister, and supplements setup before you bring home the little one. And remember only the males show that blue color. Do you have around $1,000 to purchase the necessary things and the chameleon itself? The Cham can cost anywhere from $300-500 itself.

You'll want the cage, lighting, mister, and supplements setup before you bring home the little one. And remember only the males show that blue color. Do you have around $1,000 to purchase the necessary things and the chameleon itself? The Cham can cost anywhere from $300-500 itself.
Hi thanks for the reply. Before I purchase the cage, I’ve read that you should check the humidity to determine whether or not to go with a glass or screen enclosure. That’s why I’m asking if I should go with a humidity meter first. Just making sure. I don’t want to get technical but I’ve got the funds to care for a Cham. Thanks again,chammy007.

I’ve decided I’m going with a Nosy Be Panther Cham, if I can find one. Before I commit to a cage should I get, for lack of a better term, a humidity meter?thanks much.chammy007

I would go with something like this for now to start tracking how your house (the room you plan on using for the cage in particular of course lol) fluctuates day to night. It's pretty cheap and fairly accurate. Of the 3 I've had they were all within 1°f and 1% rh to each other and within the same tolerances when compared to the other measuring devices in my house.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Di...MIkc3S5OO15QIVF3iGCh3TGAdSEAQYAiABEgLDR_D_BwE

As to the cage style, either will work really. I'm in Florida and use both styles myself but, how my house "runs" helps with using glass here along with a muffin fan to "even out" day time humidity in them. Tbh though, I prefer the glass cages over the screen cages.

I would go with something like this for now to start tracking how your house (the room you plan on using for the cage in particular of course lol) fluctuates day to night. It's pretty cheap and fairly accurate. Of the 3 I've had they were all within 1°f and 1% rh to each other and within the same tolerances when compared to the other measuring devices in my house.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Di...MIkc3S5OO15QIVF3iGCh3TGAdSEAQYAiABEgLDR_D_BwE

As to the cage style, either will work really. I'm in Florida and use both styles myself but, how my house "runs" helps with using glass here along with a muffin fan to "even out" day time humidity in them. Tbh though, I prefer the glass cages over the screen cages.
I just got back from Lowe’s. They didn’t have the exact humidity monitor as described but I got one similar. Serves the same purpose.
https://www.acurite.com/digital-humidity-monitor-00309.html

Now to get the humidity reading which should take 24 hrs.
Chammy007

From my studies that’s what I was was thinking. Figured I’d get a humidity reading first just to make sure.chammy007.
I love in Colorado and i can assure you our humidity is relatively the same. Cold dry air from the elevation. I use screen enclosures but will be blocking off sides this winter.

Another option is buying a screen enclosure and blocking off sides with a window film kit. I just bought one myself yesterday. Plan to block off a couple sides on each of my enclosures next weekend. Saves money on an enclosure and weight.

Another option is buying a screen enclosure and blocking off sides with a window film kit. I just bought one myself yesterday. Plan to block off a couple sides on each of my enclosures next weekend. Saves money on an enclosure and weight.
Hello, what exactly is a window film kit. Where to find them?Cost?

Back
Top Bottom