Giant Day gecko care

prettykttkat

Established Member
ijmccollum here is a video I did on how I care for my Giant Day geckos. I just uploaded it, so it is still processing and should be available in a few minutes.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. It's kinda hard to say everything in under 10 minutes, lol!

Did you ever think about getting different types of days?
Like peacocks, lined, golddust's, standing's etc?

Thanks, that was great! They are so sweet and so calm.

My lil' one is doing well now. I moved it from the hospital tank to an 18x18x24 exoterra. I have not been able to find hollowed bamboo and am just using bamboo root, vines and plants. Even though it did loose toes, it is able to climb about for thermoregulation. Currently though, it does not suspend on the glass above 3''. That may change over time as the toe pads get stronger and regenerate however much they can.

I am using the liner 5.0 UVB, 60 watt bask lamp, mist twice daily and run a reptifogger periodically for humidity. I feed a homemade nector mix, grested gecko diet, and dusted crickets (~2 every-other day). Fecals have been healthy but the only way it will eat the nector, as far as I know, is to lick it from my fingers. The nector is in a shallow lid on the floor. Do I need to suspend it in some manner for it to eat it independently? Or am I just being paranoid?

By the way, love your videos. You have a talent -- thanks for sharing.:):)

Oh! And by the way, my son requested the name Reptar, Syn seconded it, so its name is Reptar.:)

I used to have a little lined day gecko which was my daughter's pet. It was very cute and we loved him very much! I have so many reptiles right now that I do not want to get anymore except for a few I really really want. I have about 50 at the moment and expecting babies.

Thanks I'm glad you like the vids! I'm happy to hear she seems to be doing better:) Reptar is a cute name.

I would put the feeding dish higher up like mine is. I put mine up there because they rarely go to the ground.

I got my bamboo at a craft store and then cut it up so it would fit in the cage. Try looking at some craft stores in your area they might have some too.

I don't know yet:) First I have to stop being lazy and seperate them so I get eggs. The male eats her eggs as soon as she lays them:( I couldn't figure out for the longest time why I saw them mating but never found eggs until one day I happen to walk down and see him eating them! I was so mad! After that I started asking around and a few breeders told me this is common.

All I need to do is put the male in a spare cage till after she lays eggs and then I can incubate them. Are you seriously interested? I will seperate them if you are so I can hatch out some babies for you:)

The male eats her eggs as soon as she lays them:(

Are you seriously interested? I will seperate them if you are so I can hatch out some babies for you:)
Doesn't that normally mean they are infertile?

As for being interested... yes! I just don't know if I can keep them where they need to be for humidity.
The house is more jumpy for humidity during the winter, and the "humid room" is full! LOL

Still waiting for a CKAnole. :D I saw one at the local pet store they'd sell for like $25? But as they took him out, he, well, chomped down like there was no tomororw.

I would put the feeding dish higher up like mine is. I put mine up there because they rarely go to the ground.

I got my bamboo at a craft store and then cut it up so it would fit in the cage. Try looking at some craft stores in your area they might have some too.

Many thanks for the info, will check the the local craft stores. Might be a bit of a challenge to figure out how to get the nector up higher -- may take some creative problem solving.

Wow. I can NOT believe how tame those two are. I have a cbb subadult that is very, very skittish but will jump onto my hand if I'm holding food. A few days ago she sat on my wrist for maybe half a minute which was a record. Do they become more like your two as they get older? Absolutely amazing! :D

ballin, with Tokays it is normal for the males and sometimes the females to eat infertile eggs. I was just asking if it was possible. :)

ijmccollum take a plastic cup and cut it so it's only 1 1/2-2 inches tall, punch 2 holes in the upper side next to each other. Get a plastic coated twist tie and put it through the holes so both ends are sticking out and then wrap it around a branch (higher up) and twist it tight so it doesn't move. The gecko will climb on the branch and hang upside down and lick it out of the cup:)

Syn the eggs are fertile. He just eats them while they are just laid and still soft. I have a Cuban Knight anole that does this too. The geckos retain sperm so I can take the male out and she will still lay fertile eggs a few clutches.

My geckos were both wild caught adults and were very skittish in the beginning. I tamed them like I tame all geckos. All you do is never grab them and hold them open handed. At first they would try to jump away and on to the walls but I always took my time and moved slow and gently coaxed them back onto my hand. I held my other hand in front to catch them if they would try jumping again. Once they realize you are not going to hurt them they stay on your hand. Always move slow at first, no sudden movements. Get some natural apple sauce and put it on your finger and let them lick it off while you hold them in your hand. They love this! After awhile put them down on a table and let them walk around with you standing there watching them. They will get curious and start to slowly walk around licking things. They like this because they are curious. They like to explore and it makes them like to come out because 1 they think they are getting applesauce and 2 they will get to be put down so they can explore. Do this every day for a few months and they will become so docile just like mine. Mine stopped trying to get away from me after the first week. I held them for about 15 minutes at least every day. I never ever grabbed them and I don't regularly try to pet them. I can pet them, they will let me, but I don't very often because I know they don't really like it. They do like to be stroked under the chin though. Most reptiles do.

i
Syn the eggs are fertile. He just eats them while they are just laid and still soft. I have a Cuban Knight anole that does this too. The geckos retain sperm so I can take the male out and she will still lay fertile eggs a few clutches.
You learn something new every day. :)

ijmccollum take a plastic cup and cut it so it's only 1 1/2-2 inches tall, punch 2 holes in the upper side next to each other. Get a plastic coated twist tie and put it through the holes so both ends are sticking out and then wrap it around a branch (higher up) and twist it tight so it doesn't move. The gecko will climb on the branch and hang upside down and lick it out of the cup:)
Thanks for the tip. Will need to do a little rearranging but it is worth it just to see her upside down.:)

It may be that with Reptar being slightly handicapped, having just gone through a traumatic shed, she seems really docile as well. Very curious -- likes to watch me when I am in the room and sits calmly on my hand, licks nectar from my fingers... Being a rescue I don't know how how old she really is but giving markings I assume < 2 yrs. I think kat is on to something with the trust approach...pretty universal.:)

Back
Top Bottom