Getting my first veiled Cham today!

Chamglam

i was originally going to hold off and get a panther, but I met this guy and I couldn't resist. He's 3 years old and quite decent for handling. I have prior reptile experience: 1 ball python, 1 diamond python, 7 whites tree frogs, 2 African dwarf frogs and 1 Nigerian uromastyx. I figured I'm a pretty good candidate for chameleon ownership. I've got the 36x18x36 screen Exoterra for him. I've installed a mist king system and I put I good sized croton plant in the enclosure. I have a thin layer of coco fiber on the bottom tray along with some vines and wood. I'm using a 75 watt bulb for his basking spot, and I just have to pick up a UVB bulb today. I'd like to add more greenery, any suggestions for a vine type of plant? I'll likely be putting some pothos and broms in there by I really like the look of ivy. There is so many different kinds and I know not all are safe, so if anyone has insight on that please let me know. Does this sound like a good setup, am I missing anything? I'm picking him up later tonight, can't wait!

Congrats!
I am also a new cham owner, and I am very excited.
I will let the more experienced guys chim in, but just to make sure, it a male?
There is a looong list of safe plants in this subforum. If I can find it, I will post the link here.

I'd lose the substrate, but otherwise sounds good. I use Arcadia lighting and have been very pleased. Veiled chams are awesome, they have such a personality.
Post pics of your new guy!

I'd lose the substrate, but otherwise sounds good. I use Arcadia lighting and have been very pleased. Veiled chams are awesome, they have such a personality.
Post pics of your new guy!
I've read that a substrate isn't needed, but I also noticed that a lot of people on here use it. He's doing great so far, exploring his new enclosure. He was kept in a pretty little cage for the first 3 years so he's a little overwhelmed right now lol. Once he settles in a bit ill post some pics of him and the enclosure.

Yes, he is a male.

Should I offer food to him tonight or wait until tomorrow? I got 2 juicy hornworms for him because I heard they're his favorite

He won't be on the floor of the cage and it is easier to clean the bottom without a substrate. Not saying a substrate will kill him, you'll have to decide what works for you. I'd leave him alone tonight and give him his hornworm treat in the morning.

Thanks guys. He's fallen twice now. He's acting okay and they weren't long falls, but I'm not sure two falls in such a short amount of time is healthy.

I think his growth might be a little stunted, or a mild case of Mbd(as mild as mbd can be). I purchased him at my favorite reptile store. The owner of the store had taken him in because his owner didn't want him anymore. He came in quite a small cage, about a 20 gal and I assume he was kept in those conditions for most of his life. He eats well and is very alert, but his balance and ability to hold himself up is poor. He has fallen quite a few times now and I've caught him grabbing at his legs. Since I'm new at this, I'm not sure if chameleons can climb on screen or not? Gus as I have called him is unable to grip the screen. I've added more branches for him and it's helping his climbing abilities. His little pinchers can clamp on good and strong, but he seems to loose his footing, slip, and cannot hold himself up as well as he should be able to. I've taken a picture of him and the enclosure.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 126
Sorry to be pushy, but I really need some replies!! I have some liquid calcium, I'm just not sure how much I should give him.

You want to do:
calcium WITHOUT D3 every feeding
Calcium WITH D3 once every two weeks
Multivitamin once every two weeks

A lot of people do calcium w/o 6 times a week and the on the seventh day, call it every Sunday, they alternate between calcium w/ d3 and the multivitamin

I think your enclosure looks pretty good, most call for a 48" tall enclosure for adults, I'm not sure if the extra width makes up for it or not. You can get bendable vines at a pet store or on Amazon, the are good to help give your Cham a lot of space to move around. I just zip tie them to the branches and screen.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Last edited:
If we could see more pictures of him we may be able to tell if it is MBD or not. either way putting more branches/ horizontal sticks in the enclose will help him catch himself with the falls and using floral wire, push pins, and zipties all work well securing them in a screen cage.

You want to do:
calcium WITHOUT D3 every feeding
Calcium WITH D3 once every two weeks
Multivitamin once every two weeks

A lot of people do calcium w/o 6 times a week and the on the seventh day, call it every Sunday, they alternate between calcium w/ d3 and the multivitamin

I think your enclosure looks pretty good, most call for a 48" tall enclosure for adults, I'm not sure if the extra width makes up for it or not. You can get bendable vines at a pet store or on Amazon, the are good to help give your Cham a lot of space to move around. I just zip tie them to the branches and screen.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Yes, I am supplementing him and gut loading his feeders. I have read that to treat mbd i will need to also supplement him with liquid calcium every day.

If we could see more pictures of him we may be able to tell if it is MBD or not. either way putting more branches/ horizontal sticks in the enclose will help him catch himself with the falls and using floral wire, push pins, and zipties all work well securing them in a screen cage.
So sorry for the crappy pics, but I managed to get a few of his legs and arms. His arms seem a little flabby to me, but as I'm new to chams I don't know if I can judge that accurately. I'm working on getting more sticks set up for him, I know it's a little bare right now!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 150
Yes, I am supplementing him and gut loading his feeders. I have read that to treat mbd i will need to also supplement him with liquid calcium every day.
Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I don't know enough knowledge yet to have meaningful input on how to treat MBD, sorry. Good luck though!

It sounds like he could have the start of MBD. If he continues to struggle climbing and stops eating you'll want to take him to a vet. He can go downhill quickly. They'll be able to tell you his calcium levels. He doesn't look all that bad and while MBD isn't fully reversible it can be stopped. I recently took in a Cham with MBD. She's getting two feeders with two small drops of calcium injected into them. I would recommend taking him to a vet if you feel he has MBD. In the end it's your call and do what you think is in his best interest. Good luck!

Do you every notice when he's using his arms and legs a type of flailing or a lost misdirected sense in them if that makes sense

Do you every notice when he's using his arms and legs a type of flailing or a lost misdirected sense in them if that makes sense
Yes, he often tries to grab onto something but seems to be making it difficult for himself. With his back legs he grabs for his belly or his front legs too. Sometimes he sort of sways, but not typical chameleon-leaf swaying. When he tries to grab onto a branch or vine, his pinchers cannot seem to get a good grip which results in slipping and often falling. He has fallen 3 times today that I know of. He likes to climb and explore but it looks so hard for him to participate in normal Cham behavior. I'm going to talk to the store owner today and see what he thinks. I think I might get some superworms for him too and inject one or 2 with the liquid calcium I have. From what I can tell, he has early mbd signs but hopefully I can quickly stop any further progression.

Yes, he often tries to grab onto something but seems to be making it difficult for himself. With his back legs he grabs for his belly or his front legs too. Sometimes he sort of sways, but not typical chameleon-leaf swaying. When he tries to grab onto a branch or vine, his pinchers cannot seem to get a good grip which results in slipping and often falling. He has fallen 3 times today that I know of. He likes to climb and explore but it looks so hard for him to participate in normal Cham behavior. I'm going to talk to the store owner today and see what he thinks. I think I might get some superworms for him too and inject one or 2 with the liquid calcium I have. From what I can tell, he has early mbd signs but hopefully I can quickly stop any further progression.
If you got him from that store, chances are the gentlemen who you got the chameleon from may not know the proper care for them if he's got MBD. I would listen to the members on this forum. Many of which have kept chams for 20+ years. May I suggest large crickets instead of superworms? They're easier for him to digest and have more nurtitional value. For the calcium inject 2 small drops into a single feeder once a day along with lightly dusted calcium feeders as well. And then carry on giving him D3 twice a month and multivitamins twice a month. Again if he doesn't show any signs of getting better a vet trip is recommended. IMO you should bring him to the vet, they can tell you more of what's going on with him.

Back
Top Bottom