Getting my chameleon used to me

Kelseylineberry

My chameleon is really mean. He always hisses at me when I come near it. I've been told to keep his cage open and let him get used to me but how will opening his cage get him to like me?

If you allow him to climb out on his own on to a tree or plant he may be less defensive. He is in a cage, he can't get away so he is defending his territory.most of the time if I put my hand in for my guy to climb out he just stares at me. If I let him climb out on his own and then put my hand in front of him he climbs right on. He may never be completely comfortable with you but he should be easier to approach if he doesn't feel trapped and backed into a corner.

They are very territorial in their cage, but once they are out they aren't so tough because they are in your territory. I never thought my veiled would become friendly but one day I opened his door and let him climb out and sit on it. Ever since then when he sees me in front of his cage, he wants out. He knows that being out of his cage is fun and the only way to get out of his cage is with me.

Everything helps, rubbing them under the chin can help, even having your hand in his cage just waiting there can help, the best thing to do is to hand feed him treats like wax worms.

Hope I helped :)

Last edited:
My chameleon is not walking out is cage and I always leave it open when am home but he never seems interested to leave his cage

pointing out that this is an old thread from 2015. If you want some tips about your chameleon you can either make a new thread or use the search tool to find similar threads that might help :)

Back
Top Bottom