Gecko in really bad shape...

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
This poor little leopard gecko was dumped on the doorstep of Petco (of all places) overnight last week. They brought it to me with the usual allotment of other sick critters they're trying to sell. The poor gecko was severely emaciated, dehydrated, fractured forearm and rubbery jaw from obvious MBD, had retained shed constricting off half her toes, and I still can't tell if one eye is ruptured or just really infected. After explaining what bad shape it was in the store manager decided she should be euthanized because they couldn't handle that kind of rehab care (ya think?). I've seen some miraculous recoveries so instead I had them relinquish her to me. She was started on calcium glubionate, force feedings of critical care, pain meds and antibiotic drops for her bad eye. After soakings and her living almost 24/7 in her very humid warm hide for a day or two I was able to get off almost all the retained shed (just two more toes left) and the poor toes underneath were red and painful and some were already shortened.

full

full

It's only been 5 days and her turnaround is already amazing! She is able to hold her body up off the ground now and she doesn't look like a little gecko skeleton and she's trying to hunt crickets! Poor thing can't really because her jaw is so soft that she can't hold them in her mouth yet. But she's trying. Her bad eye isn't oozing pus anymore. I thought her spine was permanently deformed but she's already holding it straighter so maybe she just didn't have the strength before. Her fractured leg is a bit worrisome because it's pretty mangled, but we'll just have to see. After at least two weeks on calcium I can try to splint it gently but if her bones are still super weak that could just make it worse...

At least the people that did this to her had to good sense to realize they should not have her anymore. It's a shame they didn't just do some simple research to prevent it, and that they thought Petco was a haven...oh well. She's mine now and she needs a name!

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor little thing. She's so pretty, too. It just breaks my heart that someone couldn't be bothered to properly care for her. It wouldn't have even taken that much effort. Thanks for giving her a second chance! I really hope she pulls through.

Since she's a little slack-jawed from the MBD, would calling her "Brandine" be too cruel? :D

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Brandine_Spuckler

Awww, thats absolutely awful. Poor little gecko. So glad you are helping her now! I have a friend who recently took in a gecko that had needed vets treatment for an eye problem for few months but the owner had no funds to take her. Poor thing had a bad eye that was also bunged up with sand. The other eye is non-existant. This poor little gecko is doing really well now thanks to the dedication of my friend and the care she is giving it. Good luck with your rescue Dayna!

Poor baby. :( I am so happy that you are working with her. She is in good hands now and with treatment and your loving care, I see a new pet in your future. ;)

Poor little girl, she looks so much better! I'm glad she's in your care and getting a second chance.

Congratulations! I suggest 'Grazie', or 'Grazia', because she is so incredibly thankful and grateful. And she has beautiful Italian eyes!

Thank you all for your kind words! She's shedding today and seems less than pleased by it. But there's some color underneath so it'll be interesting to see what she really looks like when she's healthy.

Ataraxia - nothing should ever be named Lucky! Pets named Lucky are guaranteed to have something terrible happen to them. I say this from meeting many doomed Luckys.

Wow, that little girl certainly is lucky to have you take over her care, and boy she's looking much better. How about Buttercup for a name?

Dayna, I am so glad you are taking care of her and nursing her back to health. It is just maddening the way some people treat their pets. I am sure you see it so much more than the average person unfortunately. Good luck with her and keep us updated on her progress. I love seeing animals make turn arounds with love and proper care. It is heartwarming.

poor thing- but her eyes are so pretty , and I just know she will do well with you , you are AWESOME !! :D and to the rest of ya- she should move to Ohio - :p ( not really - lol I can't wait to move from here to someplace warmer :rolleyes: )

thank you. That's just the story I needed to read today, as a reminder that there are good people in the world.
Glad you are able to try to help that poor creature.
Gratitude or Mercy or Reiko might be appropriate names. Or Persy (for perseverance)

Shes so cute!

I knwo you will work with her and get her to a 100% of what she can be.

ANd i disagree with you both, flchammom and kinyonga, she needs to move to MD and be MY vet.

:D

I like the name miracle for her though, miri for short.

Good luck and keep us posted!

What a turn around. Shame on whoever left her in that state. I'm so glad she found you.:)

Back
Top Bottom