Garden people, suggestions for outdoor enclosure

Those plants on the above list are small circumference branches too. They are good for flowering. However they would not workout for (Assuming) Calumma parsonii parsonii movement throughout the enclosure. The enclosure would require plants/tree's with a majority of larger circumference branch species of plants for the chameleon to effective move throughout the enclosure.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Most of my local nurseries don't know their heads from their elbows, at the very least the best you can hope for in my case at least is that a majority of the plants are matched to the state. Anything else is a shot in the dark.

:)
James does not have to go through the nursery for information. All that has to be done is make a list of the plants that good for the enclosure and research the plant species toxicity at home on a home computer.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Those plants on the above list are small circumference branches too. They are good for flowering. However they would not workout for (Assuming) Calumma parsonii parsonii movement throughout the enclosure. The enclosure would require plants/tree's with a majority of larger circumference branch species of plants for the chameleon to effective move throughout the enclosure.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Well hosta sends up tall flower stocks, so in theory the animal can bin the bugs from his perch.

Yeah these plants are more for luring insects into the cage vs being a chameleon dwelling.

As for flowering shade trees, I know Oak handles shade very well, and flowers but im unsure how popular their flowers are.

Sugar maple as well, generally has generalized bug activity throughout the year, but may flower too early for the cham to get the bugs

Well hosta sends up tall flower stocks, so in theory the animal can bin the bugs from his perch.

Yeah these plants are more for luring insects into the cage vs being a chameleon dwelling.

As for flowering shade trees, I know Oak handles shade very well, and flowers but im unsure how popular their flowers are.

Sugar maple as well, generally has generalized bug activity throughout the year, but may flower too early for the cham to get the bugs
Oak is a slow growing tree for the most part. He could plant Quercus species, however the development of the enclosure would be slow. Another one to consider that is faster growing is the genus Salix or the willows tree's? They can handle light to middle light area's.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Oak is a slow growing tree for the most part. He could plant Quercus species, however the development of the enclosure would be slow. Another one to consider that is faster growing is the genus Salix or the willows tree's? They can handle light to middle light area's.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Native willow species may work for housing, but I wonder if they flower too early to fulfill the insect lure function. That said I see more dogwood in shady areas than willows up in my state.

Dogwood would likely be a good choice.(Housing)

Also thanks to you another idea hits, spiraea,(Spirea) a bug magnet and very shade tolerant. Fulfills both housing and bugs

Native willow species may work for housing, but I wonder if they flower too early to fulfill the insect lure function. That said I see more dogwood in shady areas than willows up in my state.

Dogwood would likely be a good choice.(Housing)

Also thanks to you another idea hits, spiraea,(Spirea) a bug magnet and very shade tolerant. Fulfills both housing and bugs
Willows in my Mother Lode area of California have got bugs on them all warm season (spring, summer and autumn) with or without flowers. Riparian plants would be a great choice for a montane rainforest species of chameleon.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Okay. Isn't there a way to make sure it gets full sunlight as long as there is enough foliage for the chameleon to get out of the sun and heat?? Like around the edges of the enclosure? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm also learning from this

The environment the enclosure is located in is near full shade, only tree removal would change that. :)

But basically we are trying to find the plant species that tolerate or thrive in such conditions as well as attracting bugs, as your finding out, it's a surprisingly complex process

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I really appreciate the thought out responses! I just got off work and it's late so I'll have to get back to this thread tomorrow.

The hanging baskets can come in for the winter that's fine, I was talking about things that I could plant. I do have some hostas I think on the shady side of our house, didn't check if they flowered. Our bushes around our driveway get little flowers too. My mom has lavender at her house, and my wife loves it, but I don't think it'd get the sun it needs. There are also these hairy/fuzzy whiteish green plants that have spread through my mom's yard, they shoot up purple flowers that the bees love, but I think they may need the sun too.

I had some thornless bramble, but it died for some reason. Passion vine would be really cool, but I figured they'd die over winter and if not don't they need loads of sun? Blueberries would be cool simply for the blueberries, never tried to grow them, do you get a lot? @snitz427

We have what I think is honeysuckle taking over half our woods, I tried to plant some last year, but It died over the winter.

Haven't tried growing clover, would have to look into that.

Still not sure about adding a tree/shrub of some sort for the cham to actually utilize, open to ideas.

We have a lilac in our yard, I feel like it blooms for a week and goes back to being a big green blob for the rest of the spring/summer😕. We also have the hibiscus that grows around here, thoughts on that? Would it bloom in mostly shade?

Overall I'm not too concerned with toxicity, my guy doesn't bother with vegetation. The toxicity in some fruit trees would be a little iffy though

Hibiscus tends to want more light for best flowering, though it will survive in part shade. Blueberry wants full sun, and needs very acidic soil (though you can add soil acidifiers/amendments) or it will get very sickly and eventually die. Corylus (Hazelnut) species will do well in deep shade to part sun, and Hamamelis (witch hazel) species can do full shade to part sun. Hamamelis virginiana flowers late in the fall and holds their blooms into winter as well (though that probably doesn't mean much for your cham). Amelanchier (Juneberry/serviceberry) species do well in shade, flower, and have yummy fruit; there are several species (and cultivars of those species) that only get 4-6 ft tall (Regent, Pumila, Cumulus-10') as well, or you could get a larger one and plan to prune.

Hey you'll probably want to double check its light requirements but I have a Chicago fig tree I got from a coworker as a cutting and it's done well both on a fairly shady apartment porch and now in my backyard. I think htey mostly just grow faster with full sun. But specifically the Chicago fig tree withstands the winter, especially if you plant it in the ground. Figs are fertilized by wasps so hopefully it would attract some insects, the cicadas around me loved climbing on it. It's not super tall yet but the leaves are awesome for dappled sunlight for the chameleon, she loves going in her outdoor enclosure and hanging out there.

Hey you'll probably want to double check its light requirements but I have a Chicago fig tree I got from a coworker as a cutting and it's done well both on a fairly shady apartment porch and now in my backyard. I think htey mostly just grow faster with full sun. But specifically the Chicago fig tree withstands the winter, especially if you plant it in the ground. Figs are fertilized by wasps so hopefully it would attract some insects, the cicadas around me loved climbing on it. It's not super tall yet but the leaves are awesome for dappled sunlight for the chameleon, she loves going in her outdoor enclosure and hanging out there.
Funny you mention that I have a chicago hardy fig on my porch right now. Even has some figs popping out when it's under mostly shade. Definitely a possibility for an enclosure tree! Thanks

Funny you mention that I have a chicago hardy fig on my porch right now. Even has some figs popping out when it's under mostly shade. Definitely a possibility for an enclosure tree! Thanks
Yup, I have only had it for around 2 years so still figuring things out, but my panther girl LOVES the tree. :D

Oh also I'm in Virginia to give an idea on the weather it's been doing well in.

I know I’m very very late but Magnolias are pretty legit. They’re expensive, but they’re beautiful trees. They’re also safe for chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom