gagging?

Rockalita

Our 4 month old panther chamelon ingested a piece of moss while catching a cricket on the base of his pothos today and now he is puffing up and opening his mouth and it almost looks as if he is gagging, he has never done this before today although we have only had him about 4 days. What can we do to prevent impaction and does this behavior have anything to do with ingesting the moss piece?

It very well could be from the moss. Rule is no substrate on the bottom of the cage and nothing in your potted plants that can be injested either. you have to be really careful. Remove the moss immediately. Get some very LARGE rocks if you wish to cover the dirt. Nothing your cham can pick up with his tongue. Hopefully he will be able to digest the moss if he can get it down.

we picked out all the pieces that were in the dirt that the pothos was planted in so that this cannot happen again and were just wondering if we can do anything to aid in the digestion of the moss piece or if that behavior even had to do with the ingestion.

how many days should we wait with no feces to be worried? he is 4 monts old, should they be going every day?

From what I gather anything over 10 days and you should start to worry.

Just as long as his eating habits and activity don't change drastically.

the piece was less than an inch long and about the diameter of a piece of spaghetti so it was long and skinny, I will deff be looking for feces than tomorrow or the next day

From what I gather anything over 10 days and you should start to worry.

Just as long as his eating habits and activity don't change drastically.

You didn't really mean that waiting 10 days to see if it goes poop it a good idea did you? You don't usually make mistakes so this one just sort of surprised me.:eek:

He pooped!!! We will sill keep our eye on him to make sure that he does throughout the next few days but it deff maked me feel better seeing that!

Back
Top Bottom