G.A.L.S (Gastropods)

you shold see (well, touch) a slimy salamander. The stuff DOES NOT COME OFF.

I would not want the temptation for one of those giant snails. So easy to make a mistake and let them go. I'l just find something native and culture it..

I agree that having a GALS would be awesome, but it is way, way too risky for the environment. Non native species are a horrible thing to introduce to an ecosystem and I see snails as being a huge threat. If a slug or snail can crawl on something, then they will be tasting it. I could feel the scraping of the banana slug's radulas while holding them (feels like sandpaper!) and can see how they would obliterate a plant. I can only imagine the destruction to crops they would cause, especially after a few generations of snails are produced. This would potentially only take one snail, by the way. I am not sure if they are self fertilizing at all, but they can really store sperm for sure. That is how I got my little feeder snails.

About the banana slugs, they get HUGE. I found those guys in a sitka forest near the Oregon coast. I put them back after snagging the photos of them (oh man, I love slugs and think they and snails are adorable! Other gastropods, too!) and let me tell you, the slime does NOT come off. I had to wipe it on rocks and stuff. If you get it wet, it makes it worse. You have to wait until it dries and then rub it off. Snails on the other hand, don't produce slime like the slugs do. I will sometimes take my big snails out and let them roam around on a finger while I look at them with a loup and they don't seem to mind at all. My hands are perfectly dry and normal, even after they crawl all over them.

Funny thing about the banana slugs, raccoons will sometimes eat them and to combat the thick, defensive slime, they will quickly roll them around in dirt and then munch in on them. Slimy dirt covered spongy meat-tube, anyone?

It's a real gray area in terms of legality up here, I would never suggest keeping them if you can't trust yourself to be responsible with them though. They are sold in pet stores, so I don't think it's a big issue.

They are very forgiving too, and they just seal up their shell and go into hibernation if you don't feed or water them, and they can stay like that for a LONG time.

These guys (just one) can destroy a whole apple in a few hours, so yeah, if you live in Florida or something, it would be risky.

Banana slugs, however, are native to North America, and I'd see no problem in cultivating your own if you have the means to. Chameleons LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE slugs.

Back
Top Bottom