G.A.L.S (Gastropods)

blackbetty

Also known as Giant African Land Snails...

I cannot find these in the US..Only the UK..but I was inquiring..If a breeding pair were acquired, could their babies be used as Cham food? I am not sure how big the eggs are when they hatch..but I read that one snail can lay 70-100 eggs...

Here is a video for anyone wanting to see these guys.. They are pretty friggen neat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtM0Y3YihAU

GTFO...... I want one!!!!!!!!!! or 2:cool:

Where did you find those? Thats a trip. I have never seen a snail that big!:)

Who is up for a group buy?:eek:

-Nacho Libre

Yes but it says they must mate with another, just depends on if they decide to be the male or the female..

Illegal!? Why? They are pets in the UK.

I came across when I was doing a search for Snails

edit: answering my own question:
Why are giant African land snails a concern in Michigan?
Giant African land snails are illegal in Michigan and the continental U.S. because they are highly invasive, and can cause extensive damage to important food crops and other agricultural and natural resources. These snails can also pose a risk to human health.

Illegal!? Why? They are pets in the UK.

Ask the USDA.
There is quite a long list of invertebrates that are kept in other countries, but are illegal here.
ie: All stick insects.
Most of these are species that could pose a potential agricultural threat.

-Brad

Stick..Like praying mantis/walking sticks? Thats weird..

Shucks..these things rock..id be afraid it would suck my brain out though..

And Im sure the USDA has time to answer my question ;)

Stick..Like praying mantis/walking sticks? Thats weird..

Shucks..these things rock..id be afraid it would suck my brain out though..

And Im sure the USDA has time to answer my question ;)

Not praying mantis. Those are pest predators and protected in some states, but not illegal to keep in most.
They will not only answer your question, they will send agents to visit your home if you are suspected of harboring any illegal insects ... no kidding.
Additionally, they are regularly monitoring this and other forums.

-Brad

Dude those things could level a forest in no time flat, even moving at snail speed! Unless they're carnivorous, in which case -- hey, where's my dog???

Dude those things could level a forest in no time flat, even moving at snail speed! Unless they're carnivorous, in which case -- hey, where's my dog???

Most snails (particularly ones of that magnitude) are not too discerning about what they eat.

Seriously..You think the USDA trolls forums like this? That explains a lot...

Yea but if you kept ONE in captivity, and say, got a license for it and registered it or something..Whats the harm? Id even be willing to microchip it.

Did this happen to you?

2raidES1804_468x520.jpg

Yea but if you kept ONE in captivity, and say, got a license for it and registered it or something..Whats the harm? Id even be willing to microchip it.

Yes they do.

And keeping these animals is pretty involved.
You have to have institutional laboratory conditions, with security measures (double doors, etc to prevent escapes)
A hobbyist cannot get approval.

-Brad

There are two giant species, those are the largest of the two and usually are unavailable. The Eastern Giant African Land Snail is more common and you can probably find some. There is a colony up here for 35$ each at a pet store.

And yes, you can feed the small ones to any of the larger chameleons.

They are neat, but they can pose a threat to agriculture, so be responsible with them! Never throw away substrate because eggs could be in it.

They are very cool. This is Sherman. As you can see, the EGALS are a bit smaller than the GALS

P4100341.jpg

They will not only answer your question, they will send agents to visit your home if you are suspected of harboring any illegal insects ... no kidding.
Additionally, they are regularly monitoring this and other forums.

-Brad
I had the fish and game department come to my past job inquiring because we had "illegal frogs". We purchased them in another state and someone reported them. I had no idea they were illegal until we got threatened with jail and fines. It's always good to do your research with any new species. :)

ETA: Always love Brock's pictures. :)

I retract my first comment...:eek: I don't need huge man sized snails!

The thought of Jail time...Bubba...and Salsbery steak, just doesn't do it for me.;)

I do agree, Brock has some of the best pictures.:)

Ew Kenya! Those are definately NOT as awesome as the Gals! Ick!

De:Nope, hasnt happened to me but the Po have awesome checkered hats..;)

Brock, Ill meet you at the Border! LOL.:)

Back
Top Bottom