Future Melleri or other large cham enclosure

VeiledChams

Avid Member
So after seeing Jessica's thread on her Melleris, Danny's baby melleri, and Laurie's baby in Daytona I have a new desire... Have one of my own Melleri. Since I took over the guest room, i am vacating the closet of all my mom's stuff and making a cage out of it. It measures 62.5x66x 22.5" (approx 401 gallons).

c6c9d926.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here is the rest of the cham room.
c3ed8eeb.jpg

From left to right: Sparky the Masoala, Herbert the Ambanja, Enano the Veiled and Enana his gf. I still need to make the drainage for the veileds.

ba98394d.jpg

Here are my veiled babies :)

Last edited:
that setup is awsome!!!!

and i hear ya on the mellers, they are great chameleons, just need the space.

goodluck in setting the enclosure, should be fun

and cant wait to see your new mellers later on

I seen the same post and I am considering doing the same thing! My closet is practically identical with the same doors lol (for now that is) :D

Who needs a place to hang clothes anyway!!! lol

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Whats your plan for drainage?

Alejandro you are getting serious about all of this. That closet should make a wonderful cage for a melleri. My little Rah won't need a cage that size for a good while then he has asked if he could free range, i just can't say no to that sweet face. Watch out Melleri are serious heart thief's.

that setup is awsome!!!!

and i hear ya on the mellers, they are great chameleons, just need the space.

goodluck in setting the enclosure, should be fun

and cant wait to see your new mellers later on
Thanks dude, i gotta finish this thing soon and then look for a nice mellers :) i'll be updating how this build goes.

I seen the same post and I am considering doing the same thing! My closet is practically identical with the same doors lol (for now that is) :D
Doo it! Lol

That will be AWESOME! Can't wait to see pics of the final result.
Thanks man, tomorrow i'm gonna be doing the lighting part..thats gonna be a pain..lol

Who needs a place to hang clothes anyway!!! lol

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Whats your plan for drainage?
I was looking throught this article and got a good idea for it.. Obviously some tweaking, but it'll be basically the same, it just wont go through the wall and out the house. It'll empty in a big rubbermaid container. I just need the mistiking and everything i need will be in my possession for the cage to be done:D

Alejandro you are getting serious about all of this. That closet should make a wonderful cage for a melleri. My little Rah won't need a cage that size for a good while then he has asked if he could free range, i just can't say no to that sweet face. Watch out Melleri are serious heart thief's.

Laurie, after seeing Rah in Daytona, my heart started to go in the melleri direction. Then i met Danny's baby and i was almost convinced. Then jessica posted her guys.. Now there is no other option :D i'm going to be asking you pleenty of questions

Laurie, after seeing Rah in Daytona, my heart started to go in the melleri direction. Then i met Danny's baby and i was almost convinced. Then jessica posted her guys.. Now there is no other option :D i'm going to be asking you pleenty of questions

You can always ask me questions, but you are close to my info source. I call Danny. He is a chameleon whisper. One of the very best keeper's I know. He puts me to shame, and he is always willing to help anyone. We need to clone him.:)

You can always ask me questions, but you are close to my info source. I call Danny. He is a chameleon whisper. One of the very best keeper's I know. He puts me to shame, and he is always willing to help anyone. We need to clone him.:)

We definitely do. I was over his house today picking up some bean beetles.. His johnstoni females are gorgeous! I wish i could keep some of the species he has, but I have no room.. Except of course, for the melleri :D

When are you coming to florida againa? I'd love for you to visit

Nice! I'm envious at how organized your Cham room is! Mine is always a disaster - I'm forever making changes. I've also thought of making a closet into a FR - keep us posted on your progress!

I second that. You get one, you are stolen for life and I'm so not kidding. I started working with the melleri 6 years ago and since then, they've been my favorite. You will have a very hard time saying no to them. lol....

I second this also. This is one of the reasons that was offered one right away - I knew it would be in good hands. :)

Nice! I'm envious at how organized your Cham room is! Mine is always a disaster - I'm forever making changes. I've also thought of making a closet into a FR - keep us posted on your progress!
I cant stand not being organized, i haave to keep it clean.

I second that. You get one, you are stolen for life and I'm so not kidding. I started working with the melleri 6 years ago and since then, they've been my favorite. You will have a very hard time saying no to them. lol....

I second this also. This is one of the reasons that was offered one right away - I knew it would be in good hands. :)

cant wait to get mine :)

And an update.. I put on the doors, 80" tall, each is 24" wide. Made them myself :)
ce224945.jpg

im so jealous and your great building skills!!!!! :( i wish my mom would let me turn my walk in closet to a chameleon cage cant wait to see this finished!

im so jealous and your great building skills!!!!! :( i wish my mom would let me turn my walk in closet to a chameleon cage cant wait to see this finished!

Haha, i told my mom that iwas just going to take over the room..and did it..now i can do what i want:D

afdabe18.jpg

Done with the lighting. I will put in a basking light later on. The bulb is 48" and the fixture is from home depot. It sits above the wire shelf.

I am using gutters in the drainage. The water will fall to the gutter and then be taken to a waste water reservoir.
60fb3daa.jpg

fc512108.jpg

2c3073fd.jpg

Attached at the end of the gutter is this makeshift piece of tubing which will take the water from the gutter into the reservoir.
7ada5b25.jpg

5932dc3b.jpg

6d8895a2.jpg

be501888.jpg

9f112d3f.jpg

The reason I use the 2 different wire shelves is because the top one is completely horizontal and will carry the plants. The one on the bottom is angled towards the gutter and will carry the water towards it. It will be covered in plastic. The water will fall straight through the first shelf onto the second.
18d79274.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom