Veiled Cham with MBD

MoldyBread

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Moldy Bread is a Veiled Chameleon, Male, approx. 7 months old, weighs 33 kg. 2-3 months of age when purchased 09/03/17.

• Handling - Daily, he will climb onto my hand.

• Feeding - Currently we are feeding .50 ml 2x Daily of Oxbow carnivore care provided by our vet. Before that we were feeding banded crickets gutloaded with fluker’s high calcium gutload(which I’m reading is probably garbage and we should’ve provided additional supplements as well). We occasionally fed hornworms as well.

• Supplements - Currently giving .03 ml calcium Glubionate daily with oral syringe. Rep-Cal ultrafine calcium with D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite, and we were given Nekton Rep multivitamin (for use weekly) by our vet for Dusting when he’s back on solid food.

• Watering - We have a dripper, and we mist 3 times a day, we do see him drink however he is currently having problems swallowing, but he does drink. We also have a humidifier that runs 24/7.

• Fecal Description - Negative for parasites, he is currently pooping every other day, his urate was peach colored before the vet visit but is now completely white and very liquidy.

• History - Diagnosed with Metabolic Bone Disease at the vet Monday, 1/29/18. He remained at the vet where they flushed his eyes (eyes were swollen and had debris), gave him a calcium injection, subcutaneous fluids and calcium with D3, we picked him up Wednesday, 1/31/18 and giving Carnivore Care, Tramadol for the pain, and Calcium Glubionate.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - We had him in a mesh cage 30 x 18 x 30, but since he is having trouble moving around, we have placed him in a smaller spare cage that is mostly glass, although we leave the top screen wide open and when we are in the same room we leave the side door open as well. We have placed washcloths in the bottom of the cage to keep him from hurting himself, and we have a vine that he has an easy time gripping around the bottom of the cage, and I have taped some foliage to the walls of his enclosure to give him some shade.

• Lighting - Dual Deep Dome Light Fixture with 100w ceramic heat emitter and Repti-sun 10.0 UVB light. We switched to a ceramic heat emitter because we were worried it was too cold at night and we were concerned about his eyes as well.

• Temperature - 60-80. We are concerned that he is getting too cold sitting on the bottom of the cage with the wet washcloths. He is currently not moving around his cage at all, so it is up to us to help him try to regulate his body temp. Since his bowel movements have slowed I am thinking he is too cold, and I’m running the ceramic heat emitter at night as well as during the day.

• Humidity - Humidity levels are between 50 and 80 everyday. We had live plants in his large enclosure as well as a dripper and we mist him by hand daily.

• Plants - two Golden Pothos were in his original enclosure.

• Placement - He is positioned upstairs in the quietest room of our house, he is in the back corner of the room about 3 ft off the ground. There is a small fan near him to increase airflow while he is in the glass enclosure.

• Location - Illinois.
We are very concerned about helping him recover from MBD. We are aware that it was our husbandry that caused it and he is in a lot of pain, and we feel so awful.

I’m trying to focus on what I can do to make him as comfortable as possible as well as getting him on the fast track back to health. We are going back to the vet tomorrow to get his eyes flushed again and will go over any concerns we have with her as she is very experienced with Chams, but I wanted to use every resource available to us. I will include several pictures of Moldy Bread, as well as his enclosure.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Our main concern right now is that he is not moving around his enclosure and therefore not thermoregulating, which I know is very important to his recovery. His back seemed arched, his back legs very weak and when he tries to climb the vine, he often tips over and falls onto his back. Since we picked him up from the vet he has been keeping his mouth open, and his tongue pushed forward. He does still have some strength to his bite though. He spent a lot of time today drinking water, and allowing the water to flow down his face and he started drooling pretty heavily while doing so. He only drinks when we place him in front of the water. He had been trying to eat hornworms, but started having problems swallowing so we stop attempting to feed him live insects for now.

I’ve been reading just about everything I can about MBD, and about the D3 cycle and how they process calcium and I want to ensure we are doing everything possible to give Moldy the best chance of recovery. I’m planning on asking the vet about switching to a T5 HO light fixture and whether we should be using 5.0 or 10.0 UVB lights, as well as getting ¼ inch banded crickets and small silkworms to start him off on solid food again.

Any information about MBD recovery and what we can expect these next few weeks is really helpful. We are concerned that his energy level and balance has decreased since we brought him home, and we know it will be a tough recovery but we want to do everything possible to ensure he’s on the right path.

IMG_2853.JPG
This is Moldy Bread the day we brought him home.

IMG_3006.JPG

Few days after bringing him home, included for size.

IMG_3860.JPG

This picture was taken in November.

IMG_4492.JPG

This picture was taken the day we took him to the vet. He had not been eating, and we were concerned about his eyes, bone breaks visible.

IMG_4517.JPG

This is the enclosure we had him in.

IMG_4526.JPG

This is the first day he was home from the vet, here he is still using his back legs, but was tipping over so we switched out that vine with foliage for one we know he has an easier time gripping.

IMG_4546.JPG
Here is a picture of his enclosure modified for recovery. you can see the temp/humid. gauge there reading 80% humidity and 65 F temp at the bottom of his cage.

IMG_4547.JPG
Here is Moldy Bread drinking water Sunday. You can kind of see his thick saliva as well as some food in his mouth that he had trouble swallowing.

IMG_4550.JPG

This is Moldy Bread today, taking a break before taking a long drink. You can see that he is barely holding on with his back legs. His tail is pretty much always curled up like that.

He definitely has a bad case of MBD. Poor thing.

You said..."Since his bowel movements have slowed I am thinking he is too cold" and "he has been keeping his mouth open, and his tongue pushed forward"...muscles are affected by MBD too so it's not surprised that he's having bowel issues and digestion problems and can't keep his tongue in his mouth like he should.

This is another thing you can feed him for now...
http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

I have more I'd like to tell you but I'm off to an appointment in a few minutes so I haven't got time right now.

He definitely has a bad case of MBD. Poor thing.

You said..."Since his bowel movements have slowed I am thinking he is too cold" and "he has been keeping his mouth open, and his tongue pushed forward"...muscles are affected by MBD too so it's not surprised that he's having bowel issues and digestion problems and can't keep his tongue in his mouth like he should.

This is another thing you can feed him for now...
http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

I have more I'd like to tell you but I'm off to an appointment in a few minutes so I haven't got time right now.

When you have time I would love to hear whatever other information you may have. I’m aware that all the issues he’s having right now probably stem from the mbd, but I want to ensure that what I’m doing is putting him on the right path.

He only started holding his mouth open and having problems with this back legs when he got home from the vet, and he was able to catch and eat a hornworm (with help) his first day back, and then started having problems swallowing and having decreased energy and such. I’m hoping that this is only because of the tramadol that he is on, or that it is just taking a lot of time for our treatment to help him. The worst case scenario there being that the calcium isn’t helping enough, or our lighting isn’t enough or that it’s too much. Honestly I’ve made myself sick with worry and I’m second guessing everything that I’m doing. Any advice is really helpful.

Have you had the chance to take him out for some natural sunlight? I'd switch to a linear uvb bulb instead of the coiled bulb.

Have you had the chance to take him out for some natural sunlight? I'd switch to a linear uvb bulb instead of the coiled bulb.

It’s snowing and 20 degrees out for the next two weeks or I would have him outside everyday. As for the coiled uv I have seen people say to switch to the linear but I haven’t heard why. That is one question I definitely plan on asking the vet today, if I should switch to the t5 HO light.

Moldy Bread passed away this morning at the vet. He had been having trouble swallowing this past week and even though he was lapping food off the oral syringe this morning, he couldn’t swallow it and it blocked his airway. We rushed him to the vet and did everything we could to get him breathing on his own but he was too weak. I’m sharing this because I want to help others learn from my experience. When we first noticed he wasn’t feeling well we waited much too long to take him to the vet. He was very good at hiding his symptoms from us and I believe the mbd had affected his muscles too greatly for our treatment to have any affect. We know what we did wrong and we wish desperately that we could go back and prevent what happened. We really loved that little guy and this is one of the hardest things we’ve ever been through. Moldy Bread is at peace now and no longer in any pain and that is a huge relief.
I doubt that we will ever own a chameleon again, but we won’t let our experience diminish our love of them.

I sorry for your loss... Its never easy loosing a pet.

To answer your question about linear UVB bulbs vs coiled (Compact UVB) is that the linear bulbs produce a wider area of exposure. With the coiled bulbs, the UVB is concentrated in one spot so your chameleon would have to sit in that spot to get any benefit from the UVB.

MBD is every keepers worst fear. Use this experience as a learning experience and not a deterrent to getting into the hobby. If you decide to get another chameleon, I recommend reading everything you can about their nutrition and supplementation. It gets overwhelming with all the info and I was extremely confused when reading about the relationship between UVB, D3 vitamin and calcium.

Thank you for your condolences. This has definitely been a learning experience and I am trying to focus on the positive side of things. He was kept very comfortable and handled with a lot of care his last week and he’s no longer in any pain. They are doing a necropsy for us as well as for themselves to help future clients be better prepared. Moldy brought us a lot of joy and even though this past week has been one of the hardest of my life I wouldn’t trade it for the time I spent getting to know the little guy.

So sorry to hear that you lost him. Sometimes...well usually...there is a learning curve to keeping chameleons. We try to lessen the curve on here when we can....but we're not always able to do it fast enough. Keep him in your heart and if you really love chameleons read a lot on this forum in particular and try again when you have more knowledge about them.

So sorry to hear that you lost him. Sometimes...well usually...there is a learning curve to keeping chameleons. We try to lessen the curve on here when we can....but we're not always able to do it fast enough. Keep him in your heart and if you really love chameleons read a lot on this forum in particular and try again when you have more knowledge about them.
Thank you, for now I’m going to focus on being a better caretaker for the animals in my life. My mom is caring for an African sideneck turtle that was my brother’s pet. She’s a little too busy to spend a lot of time and energy on him so I’m going to do some research and see how I can improve his life. The hardest part for me right now is knowing that I let Moldy down by not taking proper care of him or getting him to a vet sooner. I love animals and it’s painful knowing that I failed him, but if I can just focus on being better to the animals in my life, maybe I’ll feel confident enough in my abilities to raise another chameleon one day.

So sorry for your loss. We all make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes are worse than others. This doesn't make us bad people. What makes us bad people is doing the same mistake without caring and knowing the results. We all know you were meaning well. You were less informed than others. Now you are more informed and mistakes like this will never happen again. We can tell how heart broken you are and that you meant well. Seeing as how you did everything you could in the end, shows that you understood what went wrong, unfortunately it was to late.

Thank you for doing what you could. Next time it will be better. Until then stick around here and read all the topics you can and learn from those mistakes too. Good luck and again so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom