Furry caterpillar

Newynewport

With my charmelon I like to feed him spiders and snails from our back garden I have spotted a furry caterpillar I'm not sure this would be a good idea to feed him ? ,if not would it be a good idea to keep the caterpillar till it becomes a moth or butterflie for him to eat ?

All spiders are classified as poisonous for a reptile/amphibian to eat as they all carry venom. Snails are ok as long as they're not full grown. There is a choking risk with their shells and therefore smaller ones are recommended to minimal the risk and make the shell easier to crush.
You can post a pic of this caterpillar for the community to identify it. Some hairy caterpillars are irritating to the skin etc so I have seen people suggest to be careful with those and as with all wild caught insects, make sure you don't live in a area where insects etc. get sprayed with toxins or have the chance to eat anything toxic like nightshade etc, you get the point.
I gave my cham a hairy caterpillar during the summer and I have never seen him so exited about any kind of food before :D Some people would recommend to give the moth instead cause some chams seem to like that better :)

Snails should only be fed if hatched. Pigglett79 can give you more precise reasoning. Parasites abound. I do know the jax love them. Wait for the caterpillars to turn to butterflies, then feed. Your cham will thank you. Every cham has this bumper sticker on their cage: If it flies, it dies.

Last edited:
Thanks for your info guys I think I'll keep the caterpillar till it becomes a moth/butterfly I'm supprised about spiders as I thought these were part of their natural diet but it's good to know thanks again much appreciated :)

Thanks for your info guys I think I'll keep the caterpillar till it becomes a moth/butterfly I'm supprised about spiders as I thought these were part of their natural diet but it's good to know thanks again much appreciated :)

Jacksons seem to be able to handle some, but nervous about other chams.

You guys are insane! Hairy caterpillars have hair because it stings! Absolutely do not feed hairy caterpillars! I can't beleive what I'm hearing.... spiders are ok but NOT hairy caterpillers! Even nonhairy caterpillars often feed on poisonous plants. If you dont beleive me, pick the hairy caterpillar up, if it doesn't sting you immediately, then it's a species that has sliver in hairs and within a half hour you'll feel it and have a rash where each hair is stuck in your skin! Tweezers rarely work in removing them. Please don't do it! I breed moths but I won't ever touch hold or keep species with hair, my experiences as a child who thought if he held them carefully enough that I wouldn't get slivers are bad enough that I'll never deal with them again. Takes over a week for symptoms to subside.

Dro, the concerns us was to wait until the caterpillar turns into a moth. Not to feed hairy caterpillar.

Back
Top Bottom