Furcifer Verrucosus Gravid Coloration? Or....

I just received a pair of Verrucosus a last wednesday and the male is doing great but the female is acting a little funny. She sits with her eyes closed most of the day and her body puffed up with some very pretty coloration. When the misters come on she opens one eye and will move around, but still stays puffed up almost bloated looking? Does anyone have any pics of gravid verrucosus? I don't know if she is gravid and egg bound maybe? Or if there is a more serious problem. In my opinion, it is probably a problem either way judging by her keeping her eyes closed all the time. I am not a novice keeper and have kept this species before. The male is doing excellent since arriving so I think the problem resides with her.

Thanks!
-Justin

I just received a pair of Verrucosus a last wednesday and the male is doing great but the female is acting a little funny. She sits with her eyes closed most of the day and her body puffed up with some very pretty coloration. When the misters come on she opens one eye and will move around, but still stays puffed up almost bloated looking? Does anyone have any pics of gravid verrucosus? I don't know if she is gravid and egg bound maybe? Or if there is a more serious problem. In my opinion, it is probably a problem either way judging by her keeping her eyes closed all the time. I am not a novice keeper and have kept this species before. The male is doing excellent since arriving so I think the problem resides with her.

Thanks!
-Justin

I'd treat her as if she's gravid and give her every chance to get rid of those eggs as soon as possible. But if she shows no intent to lay she is definitely in trouble. Did the seller say she was gravid?

No, they didn't say anything about it. If I saw some gravid pics then it would help but, but is keeping the eyes closed even a sign of that? I've never seen this before.

No, they didn't say anything about it. If I saw some gravid pics then it would help but, but is keeping the eyes closed even a sign of that? I've never seen this before.

No, closed eyes during the day mean she's in trouble. Just what the trouble is...hard to say. She could be seriously stressed from the shipping, dehydrated, egg bound, an infection, etc. Sorry I can't help with a gravid pic.

If she won't open her eyes she obviously won't eat or drink. If you give her a really private cage heat and UV light, a bushy plant over a large tub of moist sand (so it doesn't just cave in on her if she digs). Mist her often and try not to pester her. If she doesn't show any signs of wanting to dig she will need a vet.

If you visit my profile-contact information-"my web page", you will find some pics of a gravid female.

I will upload a few pictures of my gravid verrucosus later. I will upload some when she is resting/basking and when she gets mad, as she gets mad as soon as I look in her cage.

Back
Top Bottom