fruit beetle grubs and indian stick insects

Chameleoco

I find it very hard to vary my chameleons diet, with me only being able to get crickets locusts and morio worms on a regular basis.
I have occasionally been able to get fruit beetle grubs, but are unsure of their nutritional value,(and they bite!) can anyone help?
I ideally would like to breed my own feeders and was wondering..
1. what are the best type of feeder insects to breed
2.are indian stick insects a suitable feeder, if so, as a treat or staple? or is this cruel (for the stick insects)
Thanks for any help!!!!

the easiest and least smelly, and least noisy would be dubia roaches for me, they are great feeders, have lots of meat, less chitin, stick bugs are a good feeder so ive heard, but also ive heard that they arent a good staple. dont quote me on that one.
but by far, any roach is very easy to breed, and they are extremely good staple.

1. what are the best type of feeder insects to breed
2.are indian stick insects a suitable feeder, if so, as a treat or staple? or is this cruel (for the stick insects)

Roaches are a very good choice, very easy to breed, no smell, easy to gutload.

Chameleons LOVE stick insects, they make for a good feeder, and are easy to raise. However they are illegal in many places, including the USA. Feeding any insect to a chameleon could be considered cruel to the insect, but its no more so cruel to one bug over another IMO.

I personally dont believe in having a "staple" feeder, preferring to offer a variety of insects. That said, I'd have no trouble offering stick insects once weekly.

Also consider silkworms - not quite as easy to breed and raise as roaches or stick insects, but still not difficult.

Back
Top Bottom