Free Range Set Up

Nicholasdeaan

Avid Member
Got the other free range done today for Sprite. The one with the spider plant and schlereffa is Stella's and the other with the pothos and spider plant is Sprites. Sprites spider plant is monstrous! It was over 4 ft. long! Lol I had to prune some of it. She's free ranged before but only part time. Now she'll be free ranging full time. Now the trick is to get her to eat out of her feeder cup! And it's much more lit up than it looks. The angle of the picture makes it look dim. I'll have two happy gals!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 337
Nick,

Great looking free-ranges. I'll have to give it a shot. On sunny/warm days I'll put Luck in the big ficus on the patio with me while I work, but haven't devised anything like you have. Is there any risk of the chams. climbing up the hangers and into the rafters above?

Nick,

Great looking free-ranges. I'll have to give it a shot. On sunny/warm days I'll put Luck in the big ficus on the patio with me while I work, but haven't devised anything like you have. Is there any risk of the chams. climbing up the hangers and into the rafters above?
Why thank you! And no there isn't. Those are floor joists that you see. It would take a mellers cham to be able to shimmy along them. They're much to big for a veiled to scale them. The most they can do is climb to the top of the plant hanger. But even then they wouldn't be in any harm. I have the lights suspended out of their reach. Free ranging full time makes for a more social and happy cham, glad I'm doing it. Hope you give it a shot!

Nick

Just an update of the FR. It now spans over 7 ft. long. An additional second or even third row of plants is getting added and will be all set within the next week or so. I made a simple drainage area for it as well. Started by constructing a rectangle about 3 1/2 ft. x 7 ft. long out of 2x4 I had lying around. I then added a sill so to speak to raise it off the ground about 10 inches. I then put plastic sheeting across it tightly with it sloping towards the center. There's two basking spots with different temps. Out of sight are 3 super bright LED 6400k light for the plants. Look on the left and you can see Stella sleeping lol Sprite is hidden some where out sight though! Since Sprite started free ranging she now finally hand feeds and actually prefers this sometimes. Happy to see some results from her. And I'd also like to mention that they have been getting monitored very closely and have shown no aggression or stress coloration either. Which surprised be because they're both full of attitude. In fact Sprite sometimes chooses to bask near Stella and vice versa. They have the room to get away from each other. And will have 3x the amount in about a week. Reason being I tossed that out there was for any new comers to the forums and so they know that it's ok to house any chams together. Will post more pics of the final products. And I may have to invest in some Arcadia lighting shortly! Lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom