Free Range - No Going Back?

d3s5

Avid Member
I have been free ranging my 5 1/2 month old panther for a little over a month. He loves it. No problems. But now when I take him outside for some sun, he seems incredibly unhappy in his outside enclosure. He was perfectly fine in it several times a week when he was caged. But now he paces in it by the door and rubs his nose on the screen. It's 3x3x6 so it's not a tiny place for him to be!

So, does he just hate being "caged" now that he has so much freedom? And how should I weigh him getting sun with him seeming so miserable? Take him outside for shorter times? Or just let him be unhappy so he gets sun? Has anyone else who has free-ranged had this dilemma?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Deb

I have trees outside and I sit and watch mine on the trees for 30 minutes or so in the mornings or evenings.

Sounds to me like you need to build him a huge outdoor cage!!! I had one for a panther male that was 3x3x6 ft. He was also a nose rubber in a cage that was "standard (SMALL)" size for a male panther.

I have a few that nose rub when they have to be caged. A few dont mind either way but they seem to perk up when they are out. What kind of screen do you use? Perhaps plastic coated hardware cloth would help the lessen any issues that the nose rubbing would bring.

Thanks everybody. Perhaps next spring I will work on a HUGE outdoor enclosure. I really hesitate "just watching" him outside because there are so many dangers around here - kids, loose dogs, hawks. Maybe when he gets a bit older - and slower? The mesh on the cage is plastic coated so he isn't hurting himself when he rubs against it. Plus I take him out right when I see him do it.

Back
Top Bottom