Frank's Husbandry!

a.gxg

Hello everyone! Sorry about the wait on completing this form. I wanted to make sure I had all the accurate information including the results of her fecal test!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled chameleon about 6 months old, took her home June 12, 2020 so almost a month.
  • Handling - I try not to handle her often; however, whenever I open her cage to clean or place/remove her food bowl she ends up crawling onto my arm wanting to come out! I do take her out for the occasional sunbathing session usually after she ends up on my arm!
  • Feeding - I currently switched to feeding her about 7-8 feeders every other day in the morning instead of everyday. I have Dubia roaches, crickets, black soldier fly larvae, and have given her 2 hornworms already which she enjoyed! She is a great eater!
  • I am currently gut loading with turnip/mustard/collard green, carrots, oranges, sweet potato, green beans, zucchini, and bee pollen. I blend the veggies together and add some gelatin to make little bug burgers for the feeders.
  • Supplements - I currently have Reptical Calcium with no D3 or phosphorus given with each feeding, Fluker’s Calcium with D3 twice a month, and Reptical herptivite twice a month as well. These are just what were available to me at the time, does anyone have recommendations on better supplements?
  • Watering - I have observed my chameleon drinking the droplets of water. I have the monsoon which is set for 30 seconds every 2 hours.
  • Fecal Description - Her feces is normal and I just got it tested yesterday to which they told me she had no parasites!
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I currently have her in a Thrive enclosure that is a 16x16x25.5 which I understand is too small to keep much longer. I have ordered the hybrid dragon stand cage and it should be arriving sometime next week! The enclosure is all glass besides a screen top so I purchased a single screen top that I have placed on the front of the cage with the glass door open to allow air flow. It is just being held with some twine!
  • Lighting - I currently have a T5 HO single fixture with a Zoomed reptisun 10.0 HO T5 for UVB, a grow light and a 75 watt incandescent bulb for basking in a double dome fixture. I have the grow light and UVB on at 7:30 am, then the basking light on at 8:00 am. All the lights are shut off by 7:30 pm.
  • Temperature - The temperatures range from 72-85F. I measure these temperatures using an infrared temperature gun
  • Humidity - The humidity usually stays around 50% This is maintained solely by the monsoon misting system and live plants. I use a Zoomed dual thermometer humidity gauge. Any recommendations on better hydrometers?
  • Plants - I have about 3 plastic plants and 3 live plants: golden pothos, monstera deliciosa, dwarf schefflera, and a dracaena. I am looking to replace all the plastic with live plants once the dragon stand cage arrives! I currently have the monstera removed because she completely destroyed it!
  • Placement - The cage is in the corner of my room by a window but does not receive any direct sunlight. There is only a ceiling fan and small floor fan that I use occasionally. The only thing moving past her is me as she is in my bedroom. Her enclosure is on a bookshelf that is about 3 feet tall so she is not close to the ground.
  • Location - I am located in Phoenix, Arizona
Current Problem - Any critique on my enclosure is welcome! I understand the enclosure is too small but her new 2x2x4 enclosure is arriving next week! I recently saw her at the bottom of the cage and was worried that she may be ready to lay infertile eggs! I have a mixture of plantation soil and natural play sand in a big pot with a dracaena ready for her.

1B3A0924-068B-4304-A740-18A797C1A6A3_1_105_c.jpeg
09164B1F-60F3-480B-B721-6A615F9165AA_1_105_c.jpeg
C6456EF6-28D7-4534-84BC-7F247D9C2B13_1_105_c.jpeg
3D4BF703-DBA7-4D77-AC2D-E2F8CE08DD01_1_105_c.jpeg

See my feedback in red bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Female Veiled chameleon about 6 months old, took her home June 12, 2020 so almost a month.
  • Handling - I try not to handle her often; however, whenever I open her cage to clean or place/remove her food bowl she ends up crawling onto my arm wanting to come out! I do take her out for the occasional sunbathing session usually after she ends up on my arm!
  • Feeding - I currently switched to feeding her about 7-8 feeders every other day in the morning instead of everyday. I have Dubia roaches, crickets, black soldier fly larvae, and have given her 2 hornworms already which she enjoyed! She is a great eater! great so keep her on this for another month. Then you want to slowly curb her back to 3-4 feeders 3 days a week by the time she is about 10 months old. So you can start by just reducing your feeders by 1 every two weeks over a two month period and then when you hit 9 months old work her over to 3 days a week feeding.
  • I am currently gut loading with turnip/mustard/collard green, carrots, oranges, sweet potato, green beans, zucchini, and bee pollen. I blend the veggies together and add some gelatin to make little bug burgers for the feeders. Great just make sure the gelatin is a safe one.
  • Supplements - I currently have Reptical Calcium with no D3 or phosphorus given with each feeding, Fluker’s Calcium with D3 twice a month, and Reptical herptivite twice a month as well. These are just what were available to me at the time, does anyone have recommendations on better supplements? Your schedule is perfect. I am not fond of herptivite because it does not have preformed A in it. I like reptivite. They have a with D3 version or without D3. If you want it with d3 then you drop the Flukers calcium along with the herptivite and give reptivite with D3 two times a month, so every other week on one feeding. Or if you want it without D3 you just replace the herptivite with it.
  • Watering - I have observed my chameleon drinking the droplets of water. I have the monsoon which is set for 30 seconds every 2 hours.
  • Fecal Description - Her feces is normal and I just got it tested yesterday to which they told me she had no parasites! Wonderful!
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I currently have her in a Thrive enclosure that is a 16x16x25.5 which I understand is too small to keep much longer. I have ordered the hybrid dragon stand cage and it should be arriving sometime next week! The enclosure is all glass besides a screen top so I purchased a single screen top that I have placed on the front of the cage with the glass door open to allow air flow. It is just being held with some twine! Wonderful you will love the dragon strand. Make sure you use the vertical branches to add support to the ledges. You will like this link because it is how Bill sets up the particular size your getting. Only difference is yours will have solid sides as well as the back https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/
  • Lighting - I currently have a T5 HO single fixture with a Zoomed reptisun 10.0 HO T5 for UVB, a grow light and a 75 watt incandescent bulb for basking in a double dome fixture. I have the grow light and UVB on at 7:30 am, then the basking light on at 8:00 am. All the lights are shut off by 7:30 pm. So with this 10.0 bulb you want to have basking about 12 inches below where it sits on the cage. I prefer arcadia bulbs because they only need to be replaced every 12 months. I would get a 6% bulb. You would need the 22inch bulb for your fixture. THen basking would be 9 inches below the fixture sitting on the top. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-6-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html I also really like this fixture if you want to add plant lighting and it comes with the daylight bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html Just keep in mind the T5's will effect temps. For a female this is important to dial in correctly.
  • Temperature - The temperatures range from 72-85F. I measure these temperatures using an infrared temperature gun So temps at basking need to be 80 for her since her basking temp and food intake directly effect her egg production. Smaller clutches is what we are trying to achieve by reducing temps and limiting feeding. You want to get a wired temp gauge with probe to tie in at basking. The thermal guns help but only tell us the surface temperature.
  • Humidity - The humidity usually stays around 50% This is maintained solely by the monsoon misting system and live plants. I use a Zoomed dual thermometer humidity gauge. Any recommendations on better hydrometers? You want 30-50% during the day. the new cage will help your humidity fall within this range. I use all thermpro guages. I love this one... The base stays out of the cage where you want to place it and the guage is in the cage. I set mine on a dragon ledge where it can not be sprayed by water https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L82PF1Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Plants - I have about 3 plastic plants and 3 live plants: golden pothos, monstera deliciosa, dwarf schefflera, and a dracaena. I am looking to replace all the plastic with live plants once the dragon stand cage arrives! I currently have the monstera removed because she completely destroyed it!
  • Placement - The cage is in the corner of my room by a window but does not receive any direct sunlight. There is only a ceiling fan and small floor fan that I use occasionally. The only thing moving past her is me as she is in my bedroom. Her enclosure is on a bookshelf that is about 3 feet tall so she is not close to the ground.
  • Location - I am located in Phoenix, Arizona
Current Problem - Any critique on my enclosure is welcome! I understand the enclosure is too small but her new 2x2x4 enclosure is arriving next week! I recently saw her at the bottom of the cage and was worried that she may be ready to lay infertile eggs! I have a mixture of plantation soil and natural play sand in a big pot with a dracaena ready for her.

No eggs yet. I am sure she is just touring her cage. Here is my build thread on the Large hybrid atrium I just got. Might help you with yours https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-dragon-strand-hybrid-large-atrium-for-my-beman-3.176158/

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Let us know if you have any questions as well. :)

• I am currently gut loading with turnip/mustard/collard green, carrots, oranges, sweet potato, green beans, zucchini, and bee pollen. I blend the veggies together and add some gelatin to make little bug burgers for the feeders. Great just make sure the gelatin is a safe one.
  • Lighting - I currently have a T5 HO single fixture with a Zoomed reptisun 10.0 HO T5 for UVB, a grow light and a 75 watt incandescent bulb for basking in a double dome fixture. I have the grow light and UVB on at 7:30 am, then the basking light on at 8:00 am. All the lights are shut off by 7:30 pm. So with this 10.0 bulb you want to have basking about 12 inches below where it sits on the cage. I prefer arcadia bulbs because they only need to be replaced every 12 months. I would get a 6% bulb. You would need the 22inch bulb for your fixture. THen basking would be 9 inches below the fixture sitting on the top. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-6-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html I also really like this fixture if you want to add plant lighting and it comes with the daylight bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html Just keep in mind the T5's will effect temps. For a female this is important to dial in correctly.
No eggs yet. I am sure she is just touring her cage.

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I really appreciate it! I do have a few questions if you wouldn't mind chiming in.

Feeding: Do you have any recommendations on safe gelatin? I read on here somewhere that Knox unflavored gelatin was used but am leaning more towards agar agar to be on the safer side.

Lighting: I actually have the 24'' Vivarium T5 HO Fixture for my UVB (sorry, I should have mentioned the brand). I was unsure of the purpose of the daylight light bulb that it came with so I replaced it with the Zoomed 10.0, what exactly are you saying the daylight bulb can be used for? Sorry I am a very literal interpreter.

Eggs: Oh thank god! I was worried she may be starting early as I had read a few instances of that happening. Hopefully the feeding and temperature changes will delay a clutch for a while longer.

Feeders: I also need help figuring out how to properly house my feeders, specifically crickets and dubia roaches. I currently have them in plastic tubs with paper towels and empty toilet paper rolls. I guess I am just looking for the most efficient and cleanest way to house them (although I do understand that at the end of they day they are bugs in a box which can get messy lol).

I have processed all of your feedback and already have a to-do list of all the changes I need to make regarding the husbandry. Thank you again for any and all help!

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I really appreciate it! I do have a few questions if you wouldn't mind chiming in.

Feeding: Do you have any recommendations on safe gelatin? I read on here somewhere that Knox unflavored gelatin was used but am leaning more towards agar agar to be on the safer side.

Lighting: I actually have the 24'' Vivarium T5 HO Fixture for my UVB (sorry, I should have mentioned the brand). I was unsure of the purpose of the daylight light bulb that it came with so I replaced it with the Zoomed 10.0, what exactly are you saying the daylight bulb can be used for? Sorry I am a very literal interpreter.

Eggs: Oh thank god! I was worried she may be starting early as I had read a few instances of that happening. Hopefully the feeding and temperature changes will delay a clutch for a while longer.

Feeders: I also need help figuring out how to properly house my feeders, specifically crickets and dubia roaches. I currently have them in plastic tubs with paper towels and empty toilet paper rolls. I guess I am just looking for the most efficient and cleanest way to house them (although I do understand that at the end of they day they are bugs in a box which can get messy lol).

I have processed all of your feedback and already have a to-do list of all the changes I need to make regarding the husbandry. Thank you again for any and all help!
So Feeding yes @Chameleomom uses the knox so your good there because she knows her stuff.

Lighting you will need light for your plants. So I would get another one of the fixtures and daisy chain it with the connector cord or run it separately on a different timer so it turns on a wee bit later and off earlier then the uvb. The plants need the light and you will get die offs just running the UVB. Since you have the fixture I am using I highly recommend the lower strength uvb bulb. These have some serious output with their reflectors. I have basking down a full 10 inches and am still getting readings of 4.0 at his back. So a 10.0 is going to be very strong.

eggs: yep exactly fingers crossed that she will have small clutches all of her life.

Feeders... So I do not put anything on the bottom of crickets or dubia. I have a second empty container of the exact same set ups... This is how I rotate my bins. one straight to another then I use dawn soap and hot water to clean everything out once I empty it in the trash. My dubia stay very clean so I rotate them every two weeks. My crickets I rotate every 3 days cause they are nasty lol. Crickets get toilet paper rolls and dubia get the egg cartons.

I am very visual so here are some pics of my bins. I use the lids from sour cream or cottage cheese containers for my food dishes this limits the food mess. lol Although I do food processor my gutload so it makes it easier.

IMG_5066.jpg IMG_5067.jpg

Hakuna matata, What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna matata, Aint no passing craze
Its our problem free philosophy
Hukuna matata!!!

Uggg me too! :hilarious: :banghead:[

Lighting you will need light for your plants. So I would get another one of the fixtures and daisy chain it with the connector cord or run it separately on a different timer so it turns on a wee bit later and off earlier then the uvb. The plants need the light and you will get die offs just running the UVB. Since you have the fixture I am using I highly recommend the lower strength uvb bulb. These have some serious output with their reflectors. I have basking down a full 10 inches and am still getting readings of 4.0 at his back. So a 10.0 is going to be very strong.

Feeders... So I do not put anything on the bottom of crickets or dubia. I have a second empty container of the exact same set ups... This is how I rotate my bins. one straight to another then I use dawn soap and hot water to clean everything out once I empty it in the trash. My dubia stay very clean so I rotate them every two weeks. My crickets I rotate every 3 days cause they are nasty lol. Crickets get toilet paper rolls and dubia get the egg cartons.

I am very visual so here are some pics of my bins. I use the lids from sour cream or cottage cheese containers for my food dishes this limits the food mess. lol Although I do food processor my gutload so it makes it easier.

View attachment 271866View attachment 271867

Lighting: I do already have a grow light inside the double dome along with the basking light. Is this sufficient enough for the plants or are you saying the plants would do better with a linear fixture? Also, I will be purchasing an Arcadia 6% bulb in the future as I do understand now that 10.0 may be too high. I guess I was just worried about not having enough UVB as I have seen many on this forum with MBD ?

Feeders: Thank you so much for the thorough explanation including pictures! I, too, am a visual learner and do better with more details! I think it's the perfectionist in me :rolleyes:

Lighting: I do already have a grow light inside the double dome along with the basking light. Is this sufficient enough for the plants or are you saying the plants would do better with a linear fixture? Also, I will be purchasing an Arcadia 6% bulb in the future as I do understand now that 10.0 may be too high. I guess I was just worried about not having enough UVB as I have seen many on this forum with MBD ?

Feeders: Thank you so much for the thorough explanation including pictures! I, too, am a visual learner and do better with more details! I think it's the perfectionist in me :rolleyes:
If you start seeing plants die off then typically they need more light. Just watch your temps closely anything you add for lighting will mess with temps so it becomes a game of keeping it at 80 lol

I promise you need a 6%. I do have a solarmeter and I would not steer you wrong. I do understand your reason though. :) Since you have the same fixture as I do your looking at needing the same type of distances. I would personally do between 9-10 inches.

And thank you for putting up with us weirdos going off topic in your thread. :hilarious:

Back
Top Bottom