Found this lizard today on street - Type?

what part of florida is sustaining veileds in the wild and are there alot ive heard of them but no details are they a god size population ? curious

Brevard county (where it's flooding - hence the thought he may be displaced).

Neighbor is retired vet tech - she'll help us care for him properly.
Thanks all for info.

Make sure she is a Vet Tech experienced with Chameleons-they are very unlike other lizards as far as care goes.

There are several members here with veileds that live in Melbourne but I think most are in Daytona for the reptile show. I have 2 veileds if there's anything I can do to help......like loan you a cage or food or anything. I will be driving up to the show in the morning. Jann

I love things like this on the forum. What a great place full of great people.

There are several members here with veileds that live in Melbourne but I think most are in Daytona for the reptile show. I have 2 veileds if there's anything I can do to help......like loan you a cage or food or anything. I will be driving up to the show in the morning. Jann

Appreciate the offer..husband has already purchased some food for him...so it'll probably be fine for now. Told me it's "fine" until you pick it up - then tried to bite him...so thinking if it wasn't born wild may have been loose for a bit and perhaps just stressed out - hence it's aggression.

If you have email contact for the Mlb folks that would be nice in case we have questions.

One member that's on line now is Justin Carl. You can just click on his name and send him a private message. I have an extra cage and dusting supplements if you change your mind. Jann

Veileds are just agressive, generally. I hope your vet tech neighbor knows what she is doing, not all of them do. I would take Jann's offer of a loaner cage.

I have 4 veilds here in Boca Raton - 3 females and a male. If you need a home for your find you can know he would be well housed with mine. A cham found roaming would need to have a fecal done to check for parasites and need a large screened cage with big plants to keep it happy.

Keep us posted.

Thanks all. For now hubby is interested in keeping him. :confused: Thinks he's neat, and although I'm not a fan he is cool looking. :eek:

Built a LARGE cage with live plants, working on an automated mister, etc.

He's been eating crickets, chewing on some pineapple, drinking water and climbing on the bamboo inside his cage (we grow bamboo on the farm). He also has a grasshopper as a companion (at the moment - may be too big to eat).

Let us know if you have in question about keeping him. Chameleons can be very difficult to keep alive. If you follow the Rasing Kitty blog it is the most helpful advice around and anything you're not sure about; just ask.
Best of luck with your new guy! He'a a handsome one! Jann

Is it a grasshopper or a locust? Isn't locust dangerous for a cham? I don't rememeber. Good for you building him a cage and getting a mister. Make sure u mist him at least 2-3 times a day and get him a dripper to drink. Also make sure he has the right supplements or you can end up in trouble in a month or two. Or he will have trouble in a month or two. Like someone said, the raisingkitty link is great on everything you need to know about veileds. Also, don't forget to gut load his food. Any questions everyone on here is great to help you and alot of them have had chams for years.

Good luck,
Debby

Locusts are the swarming phase of short-horned grasshoppers. There are some types of grasshoppers that are not good to use as feeders though.

Back
Top Bottom