Found Red eared slider Baby turtle

rachelk

So I found the cutest little baby turtle today while I was walking my dogs, it is probably no bigger than a quarter... I think it is one of those red-eared sliders cause it has a tiny red stripe right behind it's eyes. It is so cute, I just had to take him inside a bit to take pictures, he is so small my camera can't focus up close on him... He is not scared of anything!

ye58z.jpg

They poop a lot, but they'er fun to watch! You keeping it then? I went ahead and deleted other thread, btw, as it was a duplicate.

Turtles smell horrid! They only grow as large as their enclosure however. We had 6 of them, softball sized once that we caught as quarter size. Neat but smelly.:) And make sure you wash your hands. They can carry salmonella.:)

my water turtles have never been smelly, maybe you dident have a good enough pump/filter.

I love turtles :)

my water turtles have never been smelly, maybe you dident have a good enough pump/filter.

I love turtles :)

We used 2 turtle canisters specifically made for turtles by Drs Foster and smith. Maybe it was just too small of a setup for 6 hue turtles but everyone I know has complained about the smell....like sewage.

No I'm not keeping it, I've had turtles before and they can be stinky that's for sure, but since I found the little buddy outside I figure that's where he best belongs... he sure was cute though!

I have had my red-eared terrapin for 28 years and he is still going strong! He needs a 100% water change three times a week though. I don't enjoy cleaning him out but because I do it regularly he doesn't smell ever. I think most people are not prepared to clean them out enough and then dump them in rivers etc. Shocking behaviour really...

I have 16 turtles. Some big some small. Filtration is the main problem when caring for water turtles. I use filters that are 3x larger than what they should be used for. For instance I use 150 gal. filters for 50 gallon tanks. Filters are made for fish and turtles make alot more waste. I have 2 tanks inside and they never ever smell. I change the water maybe once a month. The ponds have huge filters that I made. Also the statment about they only grow as large as their tank is sooo wrong. A turtle that is well taken care of will grow no matter what they are in. Provide UVB, food and clean water and they will grow.

I have 16 turtles. Some big some small. Filtration is the main problem when caring for water turtles. I use filters that are 3x larger than what they should be used for. For instance I use 150 gal. filters for 50 gallon tanks. Filters are made for fish and turtles make alot more waste. I have 2 tanks inside and they never ever smell. I change the water maybe once a month. The ponds have huge filters that I made. Also the statment about they only grow as large as their tank is sooo wrong. A turtle that is well taken care of will grow no matter what they are in. Provide UVB, food and clean water and they will grow.

Yeah... the "grow to the size of their environment" seems to be a common misconception. This probably started with a Pet Shop employee trying to make a sale... I have heard the same for fish and snakes, it's bull honkey. If this is the case why don't we have 400 lb Red Ear Sliders living in the lakes, since they will grow to their environment? And why does the gold fish kept in a 1 gal bowl grow until it can't turn around anymore?

~Joe

I am not saying they stay proportionate to their environment. I am saying that they will be stunted if their environment is not adequate. I should have worded it better. And this information comes from the Raleigh Science Museum, not myself.

Im sorry they wont be stunted by cramped conditions either, simply miserable.
A lack of growth, especially in such conditions, is far more likely to be the result of poor/incorrect/insufficient diet & poor husbandry, and any deformity the result of MBD calcium deficiency, lack of uv etc.
I understand what your saying, however, more often than not growth continues regardless. The result of that is that the overall health suffers, the immune system is compromised and secondry issues set in, such as shellrot, infected wounds, nails falling out, swollen eyes and so on.
You were simply misinformed Betty. :)

Just on the issue of 'stunted' chelonians, many that are considered so, are infact not.
The reason behind this is that captive turtles are just as often as not, overfed.
I once had a woman tell me proudly, her two yo turtle was already 30cm in diameter.
It turned out she fed it three times a day, year round and kept it at its maximum temp.

Inspection of the turtle showed its shell was badly domed (MBD) and when out of the stagnant water she kept it in (with no land area) it was unable to move on land.
Xrays would certainly have shown a weak under developed skeltal structure.

Turtles in such conditions grow faster than the bones and shell, and due to the accelerated growth they lack calcuim from the diet sufficient to match. These turtles a very unhealthy, and wellmeaning but incorrect advice from petstores and the like, are the major contributers.

This particular species would not reach that size for around 15 yrs in the wild.
This is not often considered when people look at a small turtle and assume its stunted.

:)

Back
Top Bottom