For those of you with humidifiers

PedroANDAshley

So I scrounged up enough money to buy a warm mist humidifier for Pepper to help her get threw the worst of her URI, so that she can breath better while the reptaid does its work, she cuaght the URI from the URI that Fuego had when I got her :/

Now Ive never use a humidifier before and I was wondering how should I set it up to get the most out of it?
It doesnt have a hose or anything like a fogger :/
Like should I tilt it?
Or have it stand just straight up?
Any suggestions welcome :p

You can see shes already trying to get close to it :(

Also my UVB fixture is kinda close to it. Do you think the steam will ruin it?

0826001943-1.jpg

UVB fixture should be fine as long as condensation doesn't form on it.

As far as getting the mist closer to her, I use something similar to this on my boa cage and what I did was found a piece of PVC that fit in the output hole of the humidifier and got a long enough piece to go to the top of the cage and then put a 90 degree attachement on the end and then another attachment so that the output was flat on the screen. That way the mist slowly fills the cage and it works great.

I got all the PVC at Home depot after measuring the hole to make a good snug fit.

When I have to use a humidifier, I place it inside the cage so the cham can move in and out of the mist as they choose. I use the exact same one that you have in the pics.

@hun73r
That sounds perfect but I pretty much maxed out my spending money on the humidfier and my husband would chop my hand off if I spent a penny more :/
Maybe I could talk him into it.
How much did it cost in total?

@Heather
That also sounds like another good method but I would be scared she would burn her self, its warm mist (I was told by a very experienced person that warm mist is best for URIs) and if shes too close it'll burn her and putting it in with her wouldnt be something I would want to chance, also its not water proof and Pepper will only drink if I spary her good :/ plus the cage is a small sized reptibreeze.

I told you a good while ago about the warm mist humidifer. She needs to be able to get into the mist. It can burn if it's to close. At night she will sleep and not be moving around. I always position the humidifer so the cham sleeps in the mist. It really helps to open up the lungs and eases their breathing.

P.S. That humidifier has 2 settings, hi and low. Use it on low at night.

Last edited:
LOL that was you then :)
I have horrible memory :/
It was when Fuego first was brought home I remember now :p
Now pepper was given the uri :( its a very nasty contagious thing.

Anyways how close it safe for her? Like I said its only a small reptibreeze so its prolly on 24-30 inches or so high and the humidifier is a good half of that. :/ and she tends to sleep in the middle of the cage.... :/

No worries! I have used it in a 30" high cage with NO problems. Just get it as close to her as possible, the leaves on the plant will disperse some of the mist. Obviously you don't want it like 2 inches from her, so use good judgement there. Again, use it on the low setting. Also, it came with a little thing that hold vapor medicine that fits into the top that the mist comes out of. Keep that in place so she can't fall in on accident. Again, never had this happen! Just a precaution. On low, the water will last all night, in the even it doesn't the safety shutoff will kick in and turn the machine off. You should be fine.

I would just keep it outside the cage and let the mist arc up and then fall into the top.
That should be enough to not burn the cham and still have plenty of fog for the URI.

Harry

Is this a good general solution to keep humidity up?

Raising humidity and slightly increasing temps with a RI is recommended. The increased humidity helps to loosen the mucus in turn helping the cham breathe better. Increasing the temps slightly is the same idea as a fever in people because a reptile can not produce a fever to fight infection.

So thats the best I could do. It barely fits LOL!
What do you think about the UVB light?
Is it too close to it? Will the mist ruin it?
Cuz the mist goes straight up then kind fans out on the top of the enclosure. :/

downsized_0826002040.jpg

downsized_0826002039.jpg

Is this a good general solution to keep humidity up?

Alot of people use COOL mist humidifiers to keep the humidity up, because in some places you would have to mist 109840984023 times to keep it perfect.
Or certain seasons of the year are dryer than others.
If you do decide to use a humidifier you must make 100% sure the humidty isnt to high and what your using to measure humidity is 100% accurate because that will ultimately result in a URI.

So just to keep humidity up I should get a cool mist humidifier? My cham does not have a Uri, just looking at solutions to stabilize humidity without misting so much. Or I may get a pond pump and make my own mist system but the humidifier may be best right now until I can expand my drainage system to accomidate the massive amounts of mist systems

Only if you really need it.
My humidity thingy says it went form the standard 50-55% in my house to 80% humidity at the middle/higher-end of the mist NOT the base I would imagine that to be like 100% LOL.

I would talk to people who use humidifiers often like I know jdog uses one, I saw it in his vid. and hun73r obviously uses one :)

We've talked about humidity before lol. Ok I use a walgreens cool mist placed outside of the cage and when it's on it gets the cage humidity at around 55 with plants inside. When I was first setting up my cage all i got was 30%. After auto mistings and the humidifier being on it goes to 75-80%. It then takes about three hours to get back to 55%. I like to leave 3 hours in between to kinda let everything dry up and it not to be real humid and make em sick. I hope Pepper feels better.

Back
Top Bottom