For everyone who KNOWS you can't keep chams in glass

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

Chris if you wouldn't mind a personal question-how do you manage to balance this collection with your vigorous work and academic life that involves lots of travel? You must have your own place for them and contacts who are able and willing to care for such a large and diverse collection.
I hope those are not picked up in the wild D: amphibians are highly endagered World wide.

I have 2 different cages by design enclosure 48x72x24 . One has a grate floor and the other has a solid floor, the sides and doors are plexiglass .There are two vents in the bottom corners and two in the top corners of each enclosure . I have one 3 yr old veiled Cham. Would one of these cages be appropriate for this species.

It depends a lot on how large the vents are. Could you post photos of the enclosures and the vents?

Chris

Hey Chris,

Would a panther cham be okay in a 36x18x36 glass exo-terra terraium?

I am in Canada and as you can imagine having trouble with the humidity..

Also I am using a mistking, do you use RODI water when misting? or just tap water with the reptisafe?
I ask because our water in Canada is very hard, high Alkalinity and has calcium in it.

Last question... the water that feeds the mistking comes out very cool.. what are your thoughts on using a water heater in the bucket to warm up the water before it is sprayed into the tank?

Hey @RcManChild,

Yes, that sized enclosure should be fine for a panther chameleon, although you will undoubtably encounter people who's knee-jerk reaction would be to tell you know. It is very similar in size (internal volume) to the 2'x2'x4' "standard" that is recommended for them.

RO water would be excellent, but you can use tap water. I don't put reptisafe on my water, but it shouldn't hurt.

I wouldn't worry about a water heater in the bucket. Room temperature water should be fine (and natural)

Chris

@Chris Anderson Can I please get your feedback on a cage design that incorporates a large glass panel?

For some context, I live in San Diego and we have an average annual relative humidity of ~50-60% With the summer and autumn months dipping down to 40%. This specific enclosure will be in a non climate controlled room. Current misting schedule is 3x during daylight hours for 3 mins at a time. I plan to scale that back to one minute sessions.

My motivation for the glass panel is primarily aesthetic, but I am concerned that the humidity may still be too high. What is your opinion?

Thanks!

@kuhyay - Are the other 3 sides of the cage and top screen, or what are they made out of? The reality is you'll just have to experiment with it and see. Watch for the enclosure not drying out sufficiently between misting, or an increase in water accumulation. Those will be clues that you need to cut back on your misting.

Chris

An adult male panther would really need the 36"x18"x36" model, which is their largest.

Chris

I know this thread has died down a bit, but I was curious if you feel like this is actually and ideal enclosure for a panther? I'm heavily considering getting a baby Panther sometime within the next several months, so I'm starting my research now. I very much like the idea of using one of these Exo Terras, but I want to be certain that a Panther will be happy in one. Also, assuming that it would be fine to keep an adult Panther in the specific enclosure you mention, would it be alright to raise it in said enclosure? Or, would it be better to raise it in a smaller on and then transfer it to the larger size as it matures? Many thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom