DIY Corner Vivarium

kuhyay

I'm in the process of a new vivarium for our new Panther, Napoleon.

The vivarium will be made of walnut hardwood and walnut veneered MDF.
The top side and bottom and bottom screens will use UltraVue screens which provide better airflow.
The front door will have 1/8" low iron glass which has similar clarity properties as acrylic but is far more scratch resistant. I also evaluated P99 anti-reflective acrylic, but it proved to be too "hazy".
As for the bottom it will be a screen over a drainage system (not pictured here). As far as that goes I'm planning on building a pvc tray that has a slight grade which empties into a 5 gallon container.

I haven't decided whether to use some white PVC sheeting for the back or to use the walnut. I like the water-resistance and brightness of the PVC but am concerned about the aesthetics. What do you guys think??

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 3.36.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 3.35.30 PM.png

A big shout out to Todd at lightyourreptiles.com who will be supplying the lighting for the build. He has been incredibly helpful consulting on the lighting setup.

I've opted to use the following rig:
  • 1 - 90 Watt Chromalux Halogen Flood Basking Bulb
  • 1 - HO T5 36" Quad Fixture W/ Arcadia 12% Bulb & 2x Daylight Bulbs & Plant PRO
  • 2 - Jungle Dawn® 40w MEGA Plant Grow Spotlight
  • 2 - HUF Herp Utility Fan
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 3.35.55 PM.png

I would love your guys' feedback!

Looks very dope, I have that light fixture and it's very bright, plants do amazing. For the background the white will help reflect that light throughout you enclosure, it's all a matter of personal choice as long as it's functional.

This is gonna be awesome!

Heads up on that chromalux halogen bulb. That thing is HOT. I bought it and put it in a dome with dimmer. I had to turn the dimmer down so low to get the prefered temp, that there was barely any light coming from the bulb. Now, if you plan on having the basking spot down far enough in the cage, it may work for you.

I have 'sketchupped' some corner vivs when I was wanting to build a water dragon enclosure but never build it because the corner would not give them a lot of space compared to a square enclosure... For chameleons this will work perfectly!

Good luck building it!

I'm in the process of a new vivarium for our new Panther, Napoleon.

I haven't decided whether to use some white PVC sheeting for the back or to use the walnut. I like the water-resistance and brightness of the PVC but am concerned about the aesthetics. What do you guys think??
I would love your guys' feedback!

First of all, that is going to be one Very nice enclosure. I see you have Cabinet maker talent Guru(y) Awsome:)
Now you mentioned PVC sheeting for background. Just a suggestion .I used 1/2 inch foam sheeting from Home Depot ,glued in with Aquarium safe Silicone.
Next I used a propane torch to give it a tree bark look, a lttle heat makes a better job. Practice on a piece first, Also afterwards applied Spray Foam Insulation in a can. Once dryed cured,I then carved it like a rock. The fun part next painting, base coat acrylic spray.Your choice of colours ,Greys,brows,tans,forest greens.
Applied water down Black Acrylic for wash. It goes in the crevises.Let dry, Next work with colours by drybrushing lighter tones to give it a 3D look.
All these Ideas are from years Model building and Detailing. Once your happy .Seal it with Acrylic spray sealer Satin,or Semi Gloss.
All this cures for couple of weeks. Getting Rid of the VOC from paints. Google bacgrounds:)
Example of mine.

Attachments

• IMAG0237.jpg
    IMAG0237.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 476
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 513
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 452
Ok Everyone,

Here is a quick "teaser" of the finished product. This took a little longer than I wanted to construct, but everything came out well in the end!

The plants are:
  • Shefflera Arbicola
  • Nepenthes Lux
  • Ficus pumila
  • Medusa Fern
  • Maidenhair fern
  • Scotch, Feather, and Cushion mosses
  • Various air plants
I opted to spring for a MistKing system with two conventional, one dual, and one rain nozzle.

Not pictured here is a corkbark-based feeder cup that was inspired by @mikouba's. (ref)

More progress and finished pictures to come soon. Let me know what you think!

IMG_20170307_161537.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I'll be curious to see how that Maidenhair does. I find that plant to be finicky. Once that pumila spreads....man that will look awesome. I would get some more broms and put in the foam. You could deck it out. The nepenthes is a great touch as well.

Nice build!!

Back
Top Bottom