For everyone who KNOWS you can't keep chams in glass

thanks Mellisa I actually have a dome light with a small 40w incandescent bulb and the dome light has a dimmer on it so I am able to get a basking spot about 4 inches from the bulb and keep it ~85-90, and the bottom of the cage stays right ~70 degrees this being said I have teh double compact and plan on getting the retisun 5.0 or 10.0 on one side and should I just leave the other side empty? My tank is a EXOterra 18x18x24 and I also ran a tube behind the foam decoration to the bottom of the tank connect to a small air super quite fiah tank pump, (barely feel the air coming out of the tube) to get if more airflow. The humidity in the tank with a quick misting stays at about 75-80% for three hours and I have a reptifogger set for when I am not home. If a am missing anything please let me know i plan on finishing the build later today, routing PVC to the top of the tank behind it and connected to the fogger. Here is some pics for now again I am getting the stand in the mail today and will complete the build by tonight.

You're welcome. :) To post a picture, hit the reply to thread button, and then on the tool bar of the reply window, there's a paperclip. That's to upload attachments. It's pretty easy, once you know which button it is. :)
See if you have enough light with the UVB and basking bulb, if you think it could use more light put a regular CFL bulb in, that will help your plants without making a lot of extra heat. 18 x 18 x 24 might be a little small for a panther when he's full-grown.

yeah for sure on the size, this is only until about 8 months Then im upgrading to 24x24x48. I am being pulled in two directions about the CPL versus T8 style hoods though, some are saying that the CPL cause blindness

You'll be fine either way you go. If it concerns you, use the T8 hood, and then you'll have one less thing to worry about. :) Can you use a 24 inch hood, and just have it over hang over on the ends of the exo terra? That way you won't need to buy another light hood when you upgrade to the bigger cage.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

Chris if you wouldn't mind a personal question-how do you manage to balance this collection with your vigorous work and academic life that involves lots of travel? You must have your own place for them and contacts who are able and willing to care for such a large and diverse collection.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

Chris if you wouldn't mind a personal question-how do you manage to balance this collection with your vigorous work and academic life that involves lots of travel? You must have your own place for them and contacts who are able and willing to care for such a large and diverse collection.

Ha, it can definitely be difficult at times. Fortunately since I'm in a biology department, there always seems to be people around who like animals (and usually have a decent amount of animal care, often reptile, experience) that I can convince to help me out when I am away. As for my work schedule, I have as many things automated as I can, have a routine I stick to and can do relatively quickly each day, and then spend a fair bit of time on the weekends doing odd chores.

Chris

I have the exoterra as well and love it.

The small one was a great for the salamanders my sons are always bringing home. I currently house my Veiled Cham in a medium x tall one. Do you think this is acceptable for a veiled?

110268d1438114699-veiled-chameleon-20150728_123808.jpg

I got a custom built glass terrarium made so I find it a little daunting to outwardly speak about it due to the negativity surrounding glass built terrariums...

Even though mine is quite large 48"Lx18"Wx36"H

Would I be able to house a Jacksons chameleon in a glass enclosure/terrarium. My house is usually pretty dry and my screen cage isn't keeping in enough humidity plus the bottom leaks and I can not figure out how to get it to stop. I am a new comer to owning reptiles and I want to make sure Regulus is as comfortable as possible and happy.

Would I be able to house a Jacksons chameleon in a glass enclosure/terrarium. My house is usually pretty dry and my screen cage isn't keeping in enough humidity plus the bottom leaks and I can not figure out how to get it to stop. I am a new comer to owning reptiles and I want to make sure Regulus is as comfortable as possible and happy.
I keep my Jacksons in a part glass, part screen enclosure. The Front and back are glass. The sides and top are screen. Never had an issue, and the glass actually helps with the humidity.

do you by chance have a picture of your enclosure and if you purchased it or know a good place to purchase from? I really want something that is a little more pleasing to the eye as well which is another reaosn I have looked at the partial glass enclosures as well.

Why not get a tray that fits your cage? Most screen cages aren't built to keep the water in without adding something to catch it. You can use a tray from one of the cage vendors that would be a custom fit, or improvise one of your own. Dog crate trays, rabbit hutch trays, or a tray from the hardware store (meant for using under a washing machine) will work. You can even use a fitting or drain to attach a hose or pipe, so the water goes in a bucket for easy disposal.

do you by chance have a picture of your enclosure and if you purchased it or know a good place to purchase from? I really want something that is a little more pleasing to the eye as well which is another reaosn I have looked at the partial glass enclosures as well.

My is an Oceanic reptile cage. I purchased it almost 13 years ago and it looks like it's discontinued….

I have 2 different cages by design enclosure 48x72x24 . One has a grate floor and the other has a solid floor, the sides and doors are plexiglass .There are two vents in the bottom corners and two in the top corners of each enclosure . I have one 3 yr old veiled Cham. Would one of these cages be appropriate for this species.

Back
Top Bottom