For everyone who has beautiful plants indoor

Zingaling

How the hell do you keep them alive! I bought 2 indoor plants, a variegated ficus and schefflera goldfinger and they both ended up dying. They were labeled as low light to medium light. I keep my enclosure close to a window so there is light coming in. Also I don't have a grow light. Could this be the reason? I don't want to have to run 3 lights for my enclosure. Please give me some pointers. Thanks in advance.

What cage sizes and lights are you using? I have variegated ficus's for all three of my cages and they're doing great. Do you move them around, they like to be put in one spot and left there. So put them in and don't take them out. What's your watering schedule? I run my mistking 30 minutes a day and I still have to water them.

A 6500k plant light might be your solution :D I have one and my plant loves it hope this helps :) oh and some members actually have an extra plant outside and every other week they switch out plants so the ones in the cage can air outside hope this helps too but I don't see you doing that unless you got a hibiscus or plant that needs a lot of sunlight so getting a 6500k plant light could your solution :)

From what I've seen ficus don't like to be over watered, your only ment to water them 1-2 a week so I don't water mine what so ever as they catch the water from my mistking and mine are always growing, I have to cut them back every few months

From what I've seen ficus don't like to be over watered, your only ment to water them 1-2 a week so I don't water mine what so ever as they catch the water from my mistking and mine are always growing, I have to cut them back every few months

This is my experience as well. Are your plants getting proper draining?

When I repotted I added about 50/50 organic pottingsoil and sand so the roots want stay water logged. Also mine are by an east facing window. All my plants do be East facing.

Some people have drainage issues and that gives them plant issues. All my plants are sitting about 1/2to 3/4 off the bottom of the cage. It is hard for a plant to drain when it is flat on the floor. I use pieces of PVC pipe cut to the size I want. I use 2 inch PVC and cut the size I want. Nice flat, stable & cheap.

Ok so when I water it seems it drains too fast causing the soil to dry up too fast. I'm thinking its the soil. Also I tend to water it whenever the soil is dry. I check by sticking my finger about 1 inch down to feel if its dry. Also when I feel the leaves they feel dry and stiff. They don't turn brown only after the leaves have fallen is when it turns brown. Another thing is when I bought the plant they were in sunlight. Not direct. This might have been also been a problem. I've heard plants drop leaves when they are lacking light from when they had before.

Do I'm thinking of 3 causes. No grow light. I didn't repot with better soil. Or when I bought them they had adapted to too much light so when I brought them home the lack of light kills them.

So what do you think and if there is anything else I can do?

If its draining really quick and the soil feels dry, i'd re pot. Sounds like they are not getting enough water.

I dont use grow lights and mine came from direct sunlight as well. No problems so i'm betting water

Hmm ok ill repot the next plant I get. Hopefully it doesn't die. If It does I'm gonna give up on live plants and go with fake.

i would not give up on live plants. They are much better than fake. If these dont make it, try getting a pothos. THey are usually easy to keep alive and great climbing vines.

Back
Top Bottom