Foggers, a Tool or a Danger?

The only thing I can think of that sets our captive chameleons from the wild is AIRFLOW. This is where I think the RI stems from with the hot+humid+stagnant air that we get with captive chameleon enclosures.

A couple fans or vents is not going to replicate the power of Airflow that Mother Nature creates. It’s just like us trying to replicate our SUN with bulbs. No matter what we do we have to realize these creatures are meant to live OUTSIDE. We can replicate the wild as much as we can in our little biodomes but in all honesty we are kidding ourselves if we think we can replicate whats exactly going on in the wild. This is why I think we see these problems in Captivity compared to our wild counterparts.

Last edited:
I’m sure many of you have listened to this podcast but I find it very informative for a thread like this. I love how he talks about each species and how their needs for the amount of fog and airflow differ from one another. He also gives out an observation on some of his chameleons getting ill from fogging during the day with lights on. He says because of airflow. This is just one concrete observation I’ve read or heard from. Its not really a fact in my opinion but it does makes sense.

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-110-fogging-and-airflow-with-mario-jungmann/

I live in Europe and Asia
So I can hardly advice what is available in the Us where most of you guys are

i have however. It boticed any dofference in the usage of foggers be it from regular store fir household use tomindustrial ones. As long as they lrodice cold fog they work
The only thing I can think of that sets our captive chameleons from the wild is AIRFLOW. This is where I think the RI stems from with the hot+humid+stagnant air that we get with captive chameleon enclosures.

A couple fans or vents is not going to replicate the power of Airflow that Mother Nature creates. It’s just like us trying to replicate our SUN with bulbs. No matter what we do we have to realize these creatures are meant to live OUTSIDE. We can replicate the wild as much as we can in our little biodomes but in all honesty we are kidding ourselves if we think we can replicate whats exactly going on in the wild. This is why I think we see these problems in Captivity compared to our wild counterparts.
I think what you will see with keepers that have issues is either the chameleon it’s self is compromised wether it be stress , bad genetics , or illness from hatchling . Or no air flow with bad husbandry .

I think you have no issues is do to good husbandry , air flow even if it’s small fans if you’re adding bioactive to the enclosure your even better . No it’s not going to take care of tubing and reserve so that’s up to the keeper , not to get lazy !.

I think what you will see with keepers that have issues is either the chameleon it’s self is compromised wether it be stress , bad genetics , or illness from hatchling . Or no air flow with bad husbandry .

I think you have no issues is do to good husbandry , air flow even if it’s small fans if you’re adding bioactive to the enclosure your even better . No it’s not going to take care of tubing and reserve so that’s up to the keeper , not to get lazy !.
I agree 100%!! You have to put the time and research into these animals and have your husbandry as close as you can to replicate to nature. I think if that’s accomplished you shouldn’t have any problems as long as your chameleon is healthy to begin with.

I just brought up Airflow because I Think its the contributing factor in why we see chameleons get RI with high humid and hot environments in our enclosures. This might be why we preach high humidity only at lower temperatures. Maybe the airflow we give our chameleons through screens,fans, and vents is not replicated enough to what actually happens out in the wild.

Disclaimer: I’m just a young adult with no certificates on any reptiles or the biology of reptiles so please this is just all my opinion and what my mind thinks makes sense.

I agree 100%!! You have to put the time and research into these animals and have your husbandry as close as you can to replicate to nature. I think if that’s accomplished you shouldn’t have any problems as long as your chameleon is healthy to begin with.

I just brought up Airflow because I Think its the contributing factor in why we see chameleons get RI with high humid and hot environments in our enclosures. This might be why we preach high humidity only at lower temperatures. Maybe the airflow we give our chameleons through screens,fans, and vents is not replicated enough to what actually happens out in the wild.

Disclaimer: I’m just a young adult with no certificates on any reptiles or the biology of reptiles so please this is just all my opinion and what my mind thinks makes sense.
I believe it’s 100% the Culprit airflow . I’m an old girl , with little knowledge . My opinion is not recognized from most like @PetNcs me being a moron however is !.

Yep that seems to be the conclusion with came to with that, we had a thread on it before this one, Here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/heat-humidity-ri.173549/

Sorry, late reply. A hot water line broke that lead to the shower, and was causing a leak. In my brilliant attempt to fix it, I broke the cold, which while fixing that, broke the other cold...

Old Pex Water Lines, this has likely been a long time coming, replacing the old breaking crimped fittings, with Sharkbites, but everytime I fix one, I break another lol... Might have to cut the floor out in the bathroom now :(.

2DACA426-2219-41E8-9967-F44D02076921.jpeg

This was posted on another group and I thought it was ironically relevant :)

^ as to the other part.

Common Chameleons right?

Chamaeleo chamaeleon?

I must admit, I have never seen them in the hobby, and rarely seen information or photos of them at all. I only know of them, by accident. I was scouring EOL one day for Veilied info, and thought they were interesting and did a little digging. However again, never seen them in the hobby, and my interest lies in Malagasy species mainly, so my digging was little :p. Very pretty though.

Fun and interesting fact, something you have said quite often Petr. You will not find "Velied Chameleons" under that name on EOL, that was how I found the Common Chameleon (searching just "Chameleon". They come up under Yemen, and Cone Head I think it was.

Are they more common in the hobby over the pond? I believe I have read they may have some EU population of introduction?

Last edited:
I believe it’s 100% the Culprit airflow . I’m an old girl , with little knowledge . My opinion is not recognized from most like @PetNcs me being a moron however is !.
I have no clue what are you talking about. Me myself I do not recognize your opinion?
air flow is indeed an important factor
No question

Back
Top Bottom