Fogger question

Sarahcwilson

Hi everyone!

I am a proud new owner of a Nosy Be panther boy and have a question about foggers.

My father excitedly bought me this ultrasonic fog generator:
http://www.exo-terra.com/download/high_res/products/images/PT2080_Fogger.jpg

I knew it wasn't necessary and explained that I can't do a waterfall or anything and I'd be better of doing a rain system, but he was super excited about fog and bought it anyway. Side note: he helped me set everything up and bought me a second big cage for home (Steve is in the classroom during the week) so I'm not going to complain!

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out ways to make this thing useful. I've come up with running it occasionally between mistings on top of the cage so the mist gently falls into the cage along with a few water droplets. These things put out quite a spray so I used a cover so this spray doesn't go into the cage. So, it's kind of pointless but boosts the humidity a little bit and Steve (my Cham) likes to sip the water droplets it makes.

So, my q: I've read people saying that foggers are bad and can cause infections. Is this only when they are in the cage and can get yuckies in the water? Do you think it's okay since I use clean water to refill it each time and keep the container on the outside of the cage and clean?

Thank you in advance!!!

The problem in all cases is stagnant water/moisture. If it stagnates in the hose that runs to the cage or in the cage itself it can get bacteria growth.

I used to run my ultrasonic humidifiers almost all the time in my reptile room to keep it humid. In the morning there would be a really beautiful fog in the cages and then it would dry off like a sunny day!
Aric

Eric, thank you for responding! In this setup, the device sits in a cup on top of the cage and fog drifts over the edge of the cup (I keep the cup clean) into the cage. It doesn't add any visible moisture except a few drips that hang from the top. Do you think this is okay? I just figured since I have it, I might as well use it but only if it's not harmful!

Right now, I wipe down the bottom of the cage after each misting and let it dry out between mistings. I am going to do a drainage system (drill holes in the bottom, lift cage, and drain pan underneath) though to make it easier. :)

Eric, thank you for responding! In this setup, the device sits in a cup on top of the cage and fog drifts over the edge of the cup (I keep the cup clean) into the cage. It doesn't add any visible moisture except a few drips that hang from the top. Do you think this is okay? I just figured since I have it, I might as well use it but only if it's not harmful!

Right now, I wipe down the bottom of the cage after each misting and let it dry out between mistings. I am going to do a drainage system (drill holes in the bottom, lift cage, and drain pan underneath) though to make it easier. :)

Foggers or ultrasonic room humidifiers (same technology, just different sized machines producing the fog) can help you maintain cage humidity between misting cycles or at least keep it from bottoming out as often during drier seasons (such as winter when we are all heating our homes). There isn't any risk from the fog or the unit itself unless:

your cage is totally enclosed to air exchange so it sits stagnant
you run the thing 24/7 so the cage can't dry out
the reservoir is exposed to loose feeders
you don't keep it clean: it helps to use RO filtered, demineralized, or distilled water
the cham can touch the nebulizer disk

I can't imagine keeping chams in large screen cages without having ultrasonic humidifiers on hand. You may find that smaller fogging machines don't last all that long if you use them several times every day.

If your cage bottom is plastic you can weigh it down in the center with larger plant pots, may even be able to melt it slightly to form a depression, and drill your drain holes at the lowest point and put a bucket underneath. Simple!

Congrats on your new Nosy Be! I run an ultrasonic fog producing humidifier 24 hours right now because of dry conditions from heating home. I also run one that does not produce fog and its good for air flow. My humidity stays around 55-60% and after misting goes up to 80-90% and comes back down.

Forgot to attach pic to last reply. You can see humidifiers to the right.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357092121.720066.jpg

Back
Top Bottom