Five little chamies jumping on the bed....

Thank u,and Im a very proud of alpha "Mama",I been dreaming of crickets every night all because these hungry babies,my step sis think Im a monster to feed them crickets,she on purposely went to Petco bought 100 crickets n let them loose on my front yard,she saying I shall feed them non live items or I will be curse by the crickets.

I think I spend more on crickets a month for one veiled than I do on dog food for two dogs. It seems like there are always quite a few crickets that die too. I give them fresh fruit and vegetables and dry cricket food and water. I throw away almost. as many a day as I feed Fiona.

I think I spend more on crickets a month for one veiled than I do on dog food for two dogs. It seems like there are always quite a few crickets that die too. I give them fresh fruit and vegetables and dry cricket food and water. I throw away almost. as many a day as I feed Fiona.

Have you tried raising their Temp's. Honestly i would just switch to roaches they breed easy, easy to care for, don't die as much/easy, and don't smell. Plus they are better food.

Have you tried raising their Temp's. Honestly i would just switch to roaches they breed easy, easy to care for, don't die as much/easy, and don't smell. Plus they are better food.

Besides the fact that roaches really creep me out....I live in Florida and only one type allowed and they are expensive. Just put in an order @ mulberry farms for some butterworms, hornworms and superworms. Thanks for the advice on temps...I will try that.

Besides the fact that roaches really creep me out....I live in Florida and only one type allowed and they are expensive. Just put in an order @ mulberry farms for some butterworms, hornworms and superworms. Thanks for the advice on temps...I will try that.

All Roaches are expensive not just Discoid. Discoid last I checked cost the same as Dubia. You dont buy roaches that is the point :). You buy a few like a mixed large nymphs pack, Then you wait for them to grow up and they breed. Once you get a breeding colony going they are free.

You also have to keep in mind that 1 Discoid is EQ to 6 crickets. That makes a big difference when you are pricing them. They are not too expensive when you look at that. Crickets cost a whole lot more when you factor in they eat way more of them and half of them die.

EDIT: just checked Discoid is a tad pricier, you could also mix it up with GBR they are legal in Florida. Get colonies going and they are free, they dont stink and dont die and are easier to care for. The EW factor is easy to get over, honestly I thought I would have the same problem as you (it is gross).

My wife did too, since having them, I actually pefer the roaches. I dont find them all over my house like I do with the crickets, they dont smell, they dont jump like crazzy when I go to pick them up. They are 1000x a better option.

Handling them, you get it over it quick. Once you do it its fine. At first I could only handle the babies, the adults were big and I wasn't ready. Then after I finally handled an adult I was over it. They dont bite they are not dirty they are fine. If anything handling crickets should be scary they are dirty, they do bite.

Here is some FL legal roaches, http://capecodroaches.com/t/florida-legal-roaches

Last edited:
Besides the fact that roaches really creep me out....I live in Florida and only one type allowed and they are expensive.
Not wanting to handle roachs is one thing that I can't argue with but there are a number of roaches you can get shipped to FL. Just not dubai and a few others. Green Banana Roaches, Surinam Roaches, and you mentioned Discoid are just a few you can get shipped here. Just in case you ever give up crickets you have more than discoids to choose from.

Take it from a female, GBR or Green Banana Roaches don't really look like roaches in my opinion. They are a really pretty light green with beautiful wings...almost too beautiful to feed off. Nick Barta sells them here on CF.

I agree with ^, I was scared of holding roaches too. As I grew up in Phoenix AZ which has serious German roach problems. I hated them as a kid, and have always since. They are horrible, when you turn the lights on in an infested house and they scurry all over, its bad nightmares bad.

I wont lie the first week of having Dubai I had nightmares of being covered in roaches, but after a bit and holding them it goes away.

GBR.jpg

See, aren't they beautiful?!

Green Banana Roach

I find that my dubia aren't all that expensive when I buy 500 at a time and I don't have any die on me like the crickets did. I hated crickets. It didn't take me too long to get over the fact that they creeped me out. I think of them more like giant pill bugs. I still can't stand the adult males with the wings but I just don't touch them. I used rubber cloves when I first started using them and I still use them when I do a bin cleaning but it doesn't bother me anymore to pick them up. I know you can't get dubia in Florida but I'm sure this translates into other roaches too.

All Roaches are expensive not just Discoid. Discoid last I checked cost the same as Dubia. You dont buy roaches that is the point :). You buy a few like a mixed large nymphs pack, Then you wait for them to grow up and they breed. Once you get a breeding colony going they are free.

You also have to keep in mind that 1 Discoid is EQ to 6 crickets. That makes a big difference when you are pricing them. They are not too expensive when you look at that. Crickets cost a whole lot more when you factor in they eat way more of them and half of them die.

EDIT: just checked Discoid is a tad pricier, you could also mix it up with GBR they are legal in Florida. Get colonies going and they are free, they dont stink and dont die and are easier to care for. The EW factor is easy to get over, honestly I thought I would have the same problem as you (it is gross).

My wife did too, since having them, I actually pefer the roaches. I dont find them all over my house like I do with the crickets, they dont smell, they dont jump like crazzy when I go to pick them up. They are 1000x a better option.

Handling them, you get it over it quick. Once you do it its fine. At first I could only handle the babies, the adults were big and I wasn't ready. Then after I finally handled an adult I was over it. They dont bite they are not dirty they are fine. If anything handling crickets should be scary they are dirty, they do bite.

Here is some FL legal roaches, http://capecodroaches.com/t/florida-legal-roaches

Thanks for all the info....still working on ewwww factor. Just incase I get over it...how do you breed....what do you feed...how do you keep and can they escape trough little cracks in the habitats?????:eek:

Thanks for all the info....still working on ewwww factor. Just incase I get over it...how do you breed....what do you feed...how do you keep and can they escape trough little cracks in the habitats?????:eek:

You breed by having a good mix of females to males (like 3 to 1, or 5 to 1). And raise the temps with a heat mat or something to like 80-90. They will breed just from doing that. They will have like 30 babies a month per female (thats for dubia, not sure about discoid I think they breed slightly slower) Then you just leave them together they are a social species. You could make 2 tubs if you want, 1 breeding 1 feeding. But you dont have too.

You feed cricket crack, Roach chow, fruits, veggies, basically the same stuff you feed the crickets.

You keep them in a medium sized to large plastic container, like the sterlites, with egg crates stacked vertically. Put some holes or a large rectangle in the top and some screen. They cant climb the plastic so really you dont even need a lid if you dont want.

No they are larger they crickets so they cannot escape from the habitats. They will try and hide so you cant free range them anyway, you cup feed them and free range crickets every once in awhile for some hunting exercise. And again like there box, they cant climb the feeder cup so they will stay right in there.

You only need to clean there enclosure once a month+, the less you mess with them the better off they are. They wont die, and dont want to be bothered. Just clean the tub once a month or so (and keep some frass for babys) and make sure to give food and water (or dryfood and fruit/veggies for water). And that is it, they could not be easier.

So after reading this, I defiantly feel like I am on Eharmony as a 3 rd party reader :p.
Eharmony my baloney,try that and stated on my profile.."chameleons lover....love holding him in the sunset ,walking on the beach sand ,love to joke n smile,friendy with all babies"....all the good stuff,the only reply I got is "this is not a reptiles hobby sites"I can't even have a true confession about myself,what so harmony about that.

Last edited:
Ur crickets are not too happy about their living situation,thats why they became suicidal,u will have to keep them clean n with the right temperature,lots gutloaded vegetables n fresh water,so they can all staying alive until u feed them to ur Fiona.

Feeder buffet are always good for the chameleons,the chameleons likes more variety food since they got tired of one type of food very quick,always spice their appetite up n keep them interested n happy,I dont think u want ur husband to just eat ham sandwich n drinking beer all day,surprise him n keep the fire going ,so they wont try to have affair that quick:rolleyes:

Not wanting to handle roachs is one thing that I can't argue with but there are a number of roaches you can get shipped to FL. Just not dubai and a few others. Green Banana Roaches, Surinam Roaches, and you mentioned Discoid are just a few you can get shipped here. Just in case you ever give up crickets you have more than discoids to choose from.
If u can clean ur dog and chameleon's poop,I doubt the roaches is that scary,they dont even smell like the crickets do,they are just some friendly brown dots comes in different sizes thats all.

Breeding is the basic female instinct,Alphakenc I love to breed,let me just put it this way to u ,if u give me 2pieces of rocks in an empty room,I will make sure the rocks will become 4....8.....16 with my magic mind:)

I find that my dubia aren't all that expensive when I buy 500 at a time and I don't have any die on me like the crickets did. I hated crickets. It didn't take me too long to get over the fact that they creeped me out. I think of them more like giant pill bugs. I still can't stand the adult males with the wings but I just don't touch them. I used rubber cloves when I first started using them and I still use them when I do a bin cleaning but it doesn't bother me anymore to pick them up. I know you can't get dubia in Florida but I'm sure this translates into other roaches too.
U guys be surprised in Disney world Florida probably have more roaches than elsewhere,since millions baby n kids be dropping their food n drink in that place everyday from open to close,they should have a Roach mascot in there just to remind all the kids not to "gutloading " anything and dropping on the ground ......Roach rules..Ha.

Feeder buffet are always good for the chameleons,the chameleons likes more variety food since they got tired of one type of food very quick,always spice their appetite up n keep them interested n happy,I dont think u want ur husband to just eat ham sandwich n drinking beer all day,surprise him n keep the fire going ,so they wont try to have affair that quick:rolleyes:

He likes his woman spicy not his food. Fiona gets crickets, horn worms, silk worms, black fly larvae, super worms, an occasional meal worm and her butter worms have been ordered. That's not variety....that's a buffet.....which by the way stands for " Big-Ugly-Fat-Fu#£ers-Eating-Together.:ROFLMAO:

Ur crickets are not too happy about their living situation,thats why they became suicidal,u will have to keep them clean n with the right temperature,lots gutloaded vegetables n fresh water,so they can all staying alive until u feed them to ur Fiona.

They have clean housing....I'm working on the right temp...Don't know what that is...I fix them wonderful healthy meals so Fiona gets wonderful healthy meals and fresh water. They are Fiona' s favorite...I gave her 8 large ones this morning.....she scorfed them down in minutes. later she was sitting with her front feet on her feeding cup looking at me like "feed me Seymour."

Back
Top Bottom