Fish flies

Echoezra

Established Member
Ok guys, I'm sorry if this has already been covered, lol, in fact I'm almost sure I had asked about it last year, but I cant remember and i just tried searches with different spelling and whatnot and can't seem to find any posts on them. Maybe it's because lots of people around here call them 'may flies' or 'June bugs', but they're not what most people know as June bugs in the southern states as far as I recall a google search telling me once. I guess those are more like some kind of beetle?
I'm talking about the ones i know as fish flies. They're little Winged things that hatch in the water and then come out in massive swarms around this time of year and basically stick to gas pumps and stuff (and your hair! Lol!) and then die a day or two later. I guess they their existance reflects good water quality or else they don't hatch, so they must come from healthier water in the first place.
As far as I've read their lives are short, they just live a few days to mate, don't even eat I guess, so I imagine they're much less likely to have any herbicides/pesticides or even parasites? So I thought they might be good to give my chameleons some variety. Whatcha think? Anybody know anything more about them?

Do you need me to find you guys a picture or something, so you know which ones I'm talking about?

Nope - these guys :
http://www.mynewwaterfronthome.com/fishflies.aspx
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339551271.618765.jpg

I have never heard of these little creatures before, but they sound pretty gross, so I would not what to try one as a feeder for my chams ;)

People around here are grossed out by them sticking to everything, lol, but I dont mind them. :) I am totally creeped out by spiders. Dont like ants, or earwigs, flies are annoying and the idea of maggots makes me squirm and gag. But these guys are so harmless, they dont bug me at all. They're easy to pick off if they do get stuck on you, or your car or something. They dont bite, or eat anything icky, and i know they're not laying maggots anywhere, lol.
But it IS gross when you go to a gas station or something and they're all over the pump youre trying to handle, or worse there's a wet pile of them that they hosed off but didnt hose away so you're stepping all in them. In front of stores like that too. I remember the door at Subway last year was coated in them. I remember once about 15 years ago the sidewalk was so covered it looked like a building's shadow, but the street lights were shining the other way, from that direction, so the shadow would hae been on the other side of the building - it was ALL fish flies! Our friend went and ran and slid in them... And FELL DOWN. It was SO disgusting! Lol.

Anyway, gross to have plastering your town I guess, true. But as an insect themselves, any likely reason Not to feed to my gang, to add some variety?

These things swarm in the billions over by my marina! Driving down the road they all make little continuous popping sounds, kinda gross hearing it but they dont really bother me...

Back
Top Bottom