First vet Visit

renzo0684

Avid Member
Tomorrow is going to be Jaspers first visit to the vet and I am scared. I dont know why but I am. I have to drive with him for about an hour. I dont want to stress him out with driving that long. What would be the best way to bring him on a road trip that is that long?

The basic idea when transporting chams is to cut down the visual stimulation to reduce stress. If you put him in a box padded with paper towels and put the lid on, he will be fine. You can poke a couple holes in the box if you like.
Depending how big he is, a simple brown lunch bag padded with paper towels will do the same thing.
In both of these cases, the cham will fall asleep during the ride as he will be in a dark spot.

I used to put my chameleon into a shoebox. I put a little branch in it, too so he could hold it and fall asleep. There were some holes for breathing as well- small enough to let the air in but not too big to let much light in.

If you can get a fresh fecal, take that along with you so your vet can check for parasites. It would also be helpful to take the "ask for help" form that we have on here so your vet can see have you have everything for your cham.

I have small travel cages that I take my chams to the vet in. My vet is 2 hours away. My chams don't get stressed and enjoy looking around. You could try a short car ride in advance to see how your cham reacts. If he turns dark and stresses you may have to put him in something dark.

If you can get a fresh fecal, take that along with you so your vet can check for parasites. It would also be helpful to take the "ask for help" form that we have on here so your vet can see have you have everything for your cham.

I have small travel cages that I take my chams to the vet in. My vet is 2 hours away. My chams don't get stressed and enjoy looking around. You could try a short car ride in advance to see how your cham reacts. If he turns dark and stresses you may have to put him in something dark.

Could I take some fecal from today? I will print out that "ask for help form" I will also keep you all posted on Jaspers health. Oh and one more thing that burn spot on Jaspers side that had the scab on it, the scab came off and it looks good where the scab was. That silvadene really worked well!!!

Could I take some fecal from today? I will print out that "ask for help form" I will also keep you all posted on Jaspers health. Oh and one more thing that burn spot on Jaspers side that had the scab on it, the scab came off and it looks good where the scab was. That silvadene really worked well!!!

Yes, todays will be fine IF he doesn't give you a fresh one in the morning. Just put it in the frig. in a zip lock bag with a moist tissue.

Jan it's official, you have spoiled chams if they enjoy car rides. lol

Renzo, I use cheap disposable styro coolers to transport my guys. Like what has been said, they go to sleep once in the dark. The styro is a good padding and will prevent any injuries if the cham should thrash around any before he dozes off. It also acts as an insulator and keeps the cham from experiencing drastic temp changes. I do not put any sticks or anything that he may be able to hurt himself on in with him. I put something cloth like a towel in the bottom for him to grasp with his feet. The big guys go in a reptile sack (old pillow case) before I put them in the cooler. I use zip ties to close the bag up. Rubber bands are a bad idea, because they can work the tips of their tails in to the closure and pinch off the blood supply to the tip of the tail.

I see you are in Colorado. If it's getting cold up there, you may want to tape a hand warmer to the top of the box lid. You can find them online, Walmart, or any out doors/sporting goods store. I also understand up in the colder regions you might be able to find them at minute markets.

Also, I just thought about this.....did you find a good chameleon vet? Some vets know absolutely nothing about chameleons......but they will take your money anyway.

Jan it's official, you have spoiled chams if they enjoy car rides. lol

Renzo, I use cheap disposable styro coolers to transport my guys. Like what has been said, they go to sleep once in the dark. The styro is a good padding and will prevent any injuries if the cham should thrash around any before he dozes off. It also acts as an insulator and keeps the cham from experiencing drastic temp changes. I do not put any sticks or anything that he may be able to hurt himself on in with him. I put something cloth like a towel in the bottom for him to grasp with his feet. The big guys go in a reptile sack (old pillow case) before I put them in the cooler. I use zip ties to close the bag up. Rubber bands are a bad idea, because they can work the tips of their tails in to the closure and pinch off the blood supply to the tip of the tail.

I see you are in Colorado. If it's getting cold up there, you may want to tape a hand warmer to the top of the box lid. You can find them online, Walmart, or any out doors/sporting goods store. I also understand up in the colder regions you might be able to find them at minute markets.

In Colorado you can find those hand warmers at gas stations year round :D
That was going to be my next question so thanks for answering it before I could ask!

Also, I just thought about this.....did you find a good chameleon vet? Some vets know absolutely nothing about chameleons......but they will take your money anyway.

Yes I called all around the state and everyone I talked to recomended this vet in Colorado Springs (1 hour awa) and one in Denver (2.5 hours away) if this vet I am going to tomorrow is a joke I have made a temp appointment for the one in Denver.

In Colorado you can find those hand warmers at gas stations year round :D
That was going to be my next question so thanks for answering it before I could ask!

Minute Market is Southern for gas station. :p lol

Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom