First time posting

Can you post one of the whole cage?

Maybe create a way to help drain the water out of the cage. I’m not too familiar with Jackson’s care, but shouldn’t you be misting for a little longer and less frequent?

Maybe create a way to help drain the water out of the cage. I’m not too familiar with Jackson’s care, but shouldn’t you be misting for a little longer and less frequent?
Just now seeing those other posts..

I do have a USB for the day time but the temp drops to 18c at night as we are in winter so I have the red bulb for the night. The heat mat is not keeping it warm at night

Hi there. :) I’m not familiar with Jackson’s husbandry, but in general just looking at your enclosure, I can see you need to make some upgrades. Chameleons are arboreal...they live in trees. You have all of that empty space where you should have lots of branches and vines for you cham to travel and sit on. You need to recreate a little forest tree for him. While aware of the challenges in attaching things to glass, you could get a garden trellis and somehow secure it to the sides, which you can then attach horizontal branches to. In addition, you’ll need some plant cover up higher. Try a vining plant like pothos or philodendron which you can guide the vines up and around branches.
Colored lights are not good for sensitive chameleon eyes. I don’t see your uvb. What are you using? @JacksJill or @Kaizen can better guide you on husbandry.

I have just ordered a load of plants which I hope will arrive this coming week. The uvb light is off at the moment as it is night time. I have also just ordered a digital humidity and temp reader

3M Command Mini Hooks work very well for attaching branches and vines inside glass cages. Be sure any sticky parts of the adhesive is covered.
It is fine and even desirable to have your night time temperatures drop for this species. 50 degrees F or 10 C is fine overnight. If it often goes lower you can use a ceramic heat emitter but it is rarely necessary and gives of no light but fits in a standard bulb fixture. Any light at night will affect your chameleons sleep patterns even if his eyes are closed. Eventually he will start sleeping during the day and can become ill from there.

I have just ordered a load of plants which I hope will arrive this coming week. The uvb light is off at the moment as it is night time. I have also just ordered a digital humidity and temp reader
What kind of UVB light do you have?

I just wanted to say a BIG thank you for all your help. I now have more plants, (to the point I can't get any more in) I have large plants and small plants. The humidity is up to 80%, the light has been changed and I have a digital reader as suggested by one of you.
Thank you again 💓

So you don't want your humidity at 80% during the day FYI.

Can you take a picture of the new setup (including lights) for us and fill out the form?

New set up.

Attachments

• 20210108_181842.jpg
    20210108_181842.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 56

I have changed the misting to every 3 hours for 30 seconds

You did a great job adding plenty of plants to your cham's enclosure, but if I can make one suggestion it would be to add more horizontal branches so they can take advantage of all of the space in their enclosure!

I have changed the misting to every 3 hours for 30 seconds
It is now between 75 to 79 humidity

Increase the misting duration to 2-5 minutes so that your cham has enough time to start drinking, and mist less often.

75-79% during the day is too high. You want it lower during the day, and have it spike up to 100% at night with a drop in temperature. Heat + humidity= respiratory infection which could be fatal for a chameleon. @JacksJill

I highly recommend filling out the husbandry form to ensure that everything is set up properly. There are some great experts on this forum that can provide awesome advice. I know it takes time to fill out the form, but it's really the easiest way to get the help you need as well as confirm that everything is good.

I would read through the husbandry program on Chameleon Academy, and then refer to the Jackson's care sheet on the same website:
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom