First time posting

Celia

Good evening everyone and happy new year.

Can anyone help me please. I just can't get the humidity up in my tank with out turning the botton into an aquarium.

Many thanks

Celia

What are the normal conditions of the room where he is kept. A Fogger may be what you want. But lets start with the Room as it sits.

First, what type of chameleon do you own, and what is the humidity usually at in the cage?

He is a yellow tip 3 horn chameleon. He humidity should be around 80 and is currently 40/50. The temperature is perfect. He is in the lounge with no drafts or direct sunlight. He is in an extra large terrarium with lots of plants

He is a yellow tip 3 horn chameleon. He humidity should be around 80 and is currently 40/50. The temperature is perfect. He is in the lounge with no drafts or direct sunlight. He is in an extra large terrarium with lots of plants

So I don't know this species, but is it 80% at night or at all times ? Generally it is just night time, but I would need to know more about this species to say for sure what to do.

So I don't know this species, but is it 80% at night or at all times ? Generally it is just night time, but I would need to know more about this species to say for sure what to do.
He is a Jackson chameleon. I will have to post pictures tomorrow as the light is off.

Hi there welcome to the forum!
I recommend reading through the entire husbandry program on this website: https://chameleonacademy.com/
In addition, I'd also refer to the Jackson's care sheet on the same website: https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

Know that their humidity should be lower (30-50%) during the day, and then it should spike up to close to 100% at night.

What kind of enclosure do you have? If it is an all screen cage, you can wrap some shower curtain over 1 or 2 sides- this is what I did to help regulate & hold in humidity. You should be able to achieve higher humidity at night with a fogger. How often are you misting & how long each time?

He is in a glass terrarium with a mesh top. I have a mister that comes on every 2 hours for 20 seconds. I have tried changing how often it comes on but there is little change unless the bottom is swimming. It was recommended I put kitchen roll on the bottom as soil impact him

He is in a glass terrarium with a mesh top. I have a mister that comes on every 2 hours for 20 seconds. I have tried changing how often it comes on but there is little change unless the bottom is swimming. It was recommended I put kitchen roll on the bottom as soil impact him
Where is your humidity probe located within the enclosure?

The probe is about a couple of inches from the top
Try getting a few readings throughout the cage. If it's in the basking area/ at the top where there is no coverage it may read significantly lower than the rest of the cage.

Try getting a few readings throughout the cage. If it's in the basking area/ at the top where there is no coverage it may read significantly lower than the rest of the cage.
The basking light is one the left and the probe is on the left. I am just worried he is not getting enough water as he is not defecating very much.

The basking light is one the left and the probe is on the left. I am just worried he is not getting enough water as he is not defecating very much.
Can you post a photo so we can see what you're talking about?
By not defecating very much... how often is he going? What color are his urates?

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 20210103_221825.jpg
    20210103_221825.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 65
One of the whole terrarium
Another reason you might be struggling with humidity is because those plants are super small and aren't providing much coverage. I'd get one or two larger ones too.

Another thing that jumped out to me based on the photos is the lighting. However, instead of playing 20 questions, Can you fill out the form below? This is really important because having the right lighting is essential to a cham's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom