First Time Handling

Sammy Grigio

Avid Member
Finally thought Jimmy was comfy enough to come out for a mini photo shoot. He is so damn mean. Anybody else have a super grumpy panther?

Attachments

• IMG_20191226_190227.jpg
    IMG_20191226_190227.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20191226_190246.jpg
    IMG_20191226_190246.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 76
  • MVIMG_20191226_190314.jpg
    MVIMG_20191226_190314.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 59
Finally thought Jimmy was comfy enough to come out for a mini photo shoot. He is so damn mean. Anybody else have a super grumpy panther?
Absolutely. My female has earned the nickname of "Pit Viper". She will launch off a branch to bite - without a hint of warning. Shes almost gotten my wife a few times, and did get her the day she unboxed her. Mind you, shes just at 6 months now and fairly petite. I've had to catch her a few times after she lunged a little too hard and forgot to hold on to something, then she gets even more angry that I've "helped" her.

My WC is a grumpy gal, but she will puff and hiss. You can actually poke her and she won't bite you, she's all show. Odd the difference. But, I've noticed that wild chams don't bite when they fight, assumingly because the mouth and tongue are too important to damage.

All my other guys and gals readily climb out to a steady hand, they have learn to associate it with food or outside time. The little one doesnt get outside much as she can still fit through the bars of my cham prison (bird cage) or she's too active to stay on the true free range.

My 2nd male used to puff and hiss, but no longer does. He has become more "docile" than my first of late. Like anything, it takes time and patience.

Best wishes!

I'm pretty sure that out of his entire clutch he's the only one that came out with those solid black eyes of death :ROFLMAO:. By the breeders account he was the hardiest and healthiest out of the bunch and thus was chosen as the one with the best chance of surviving a journey from Maryland to Alaska. In the winter no less.

As far as why I like panthers? Well, their really pretty, duh! However I'm not big on handling chameleons at all. I really enjoy the act of creating their mini ecosystem and cage and all that jazz. I enjoy the process of keeping a chameleon as much, if not more than, the actual chameleon. I would rather not do anything at all to stress him out or piss him off, but of course we all know that's nearly impossible. You can fall down the stairs three rooms over and it would still somehow piss him off because the air moved .0000000132 times faster than usual around him hahaha.

I have a nose be that I bought of kammer , when I first got him he was in a quarantine cage for about a month . this cage is about 32 inches high and he was super friendly , this cage only has fake plants to make it easy to clean and isn't the prettiest cage out there .. after his fecal came back clean I put him in a 2x2x4 cage . this cage is heavily planted and is honestly one of the best cages iv put together . long story short , he turned really aggressive and would dash as soon I go in to feed him ... so bad that once he saw me he would hide for the rest of the day . after a couple months of letting him settle in I had enough and put him back in to the smaller cage ,(he was about 8 months old ) after about a couple weeks he would let me hold him and would come out to bask and would run away as soon as he saw me . he was still abit shy but not aggressive , the biting stopped and the jumping stopped .what I learned is that they get territorial over a cage they really like ! so now I im thinking about keeping them in smaller cages till they reach adulthood (about a year old ) cage size 32 in high , reason being it was a lot easier to feed him weigh him and clean his cage ! I could be wrong about his but this as he's the only panther chameleon I have ever owned that's mean and shy !!!!!

Hmm, very interesting observation about the territorial thing with their living space. I could see how any creature would be more or less agro about their space based on how much THEY really want to call it THEIR home. He does have a pretty sweet pad and I'm sure it's a big upgrade, in size at least, from what the breeder had him in. I'll keep my a close on this theory. Very interesting stuff! Thanks for all of your guys input and sharing your experiences with the colorful grinches.

Back
Top Bottom