First question here!!

Hi everyone, I just got my first chameleon, he’s about 3-5 months old. I give him around 12-20 crickets a day. I just bought super worms too. I’ve watched so many videos on chameleons, and researched lots about them too. I just want my little guy happy! His name is bingo. I’m wondering what is the best way food wise for them. I know crickets is the most popular, but I don’t find it efficient going back to the store every day. However, I do have a cricket keeper but when I used it (and bought the food & water for the crickets) they didn’t stay alive. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. And I want the most efficient $$ way of feeding my little guy! Thanks a bunch

Attachments

• E2C559F5-24BC-4572-A878-6C53D78F392D.jpeg
    E2C559F5-24BC-4572-A878-6C53D78F392D.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 124
Hello and welcome to Chameleon Forums! Please fill this out so we can better help you help your Bingo.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

He is a male, and I think 3-5 months old. I handle hi. Maybe once a week? But I want to do so more because since he’s a baby I want to get him used to me. When we first got him there was no problem handling him, now he seems a little more scared (it could be because he just recently shed).i am feeding him 12-15 crickets a day usually, and just got some small super worms for him. I must his leaves a few times a day so there’s drips on it he can drink. I use the Petsmart brand calcium powder and dust it on his crickets before giving them to him. I only use filtered water bottle water to fill the spray bottle. It seems as if he poops once a day and pees as well, a white cream color.
For his cage, I will take a picture that will be easier. (The white is a mixture of his shedding & some extra calcium powder that fell out of the bag when I put it on the crickets)- I will be cleaning it tomorrow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 184
On a completely new setup. Your lighting is wrong, your cage will need to be upgraded in about 4 months due to size restraints. I'm assuming you bought the ZooMed Chameleon Kit? You're going to need some good gutload for your feeders, a multivitamin,a calcium with D3 and a live plant at bare minimum.

I have calcium powder, and gut loaders for the crickets. Cage I will buy when he gets bigger which makes sense but he’s too small now so I feel I can wait until he grows. I didn’t know that about the lights so thank you! Now by seeing the pictures I will get him more leaves & things to climb on. I came on here to get HELP, not be ridiculed & embarrassed. I want the best for Bingo and that’s why I made this account. Thank you to anyone being respectful & informative.

I have calcium powder, and gut loaders for the crickets. Cage I will buy when he gets bigger which makes sense but he’s too small now so I feel I can wait until he grows. I didn’t know that about the lights so thank you! Now by seeing the pictures I will get him more leaves & things to climb on. I came on here to get HELP, not be ridiculed & embarrassed. I want the best for Bingo and that’s why I made this account. Thank you to anyone being respectful & informative.
Not trying to embarrass you at all. You have no idea how many people like you come on here with a setup like that but it's already too late and the chameleon is near death. If you bought gutload at petco or Petsmart thats not sufficient. And chameleons are born in the wild so they can have an adult cage day one. You need more than just the calcium.

No one was trying to ridicule or embarrass you. We see people with these kits all the time. I was one of them.

So as you can see from the pictures you need a lot more vines and branches for him to climb around on. As it is now he can’t get close enough to the lights to bask or absorb uvb.

For supplements you should use a calcium without d3 every feeding. A calcium with d3 every 2 weeks and a multivitamin every 2 weeks on alternating weeks.

He is a male, and I think 3-5 months old. I handle hi. Maybe once a week? But I want to do so more because since he’s a baby I want to get him used to me. When we first got him there was no problem handling him, now he seems a little more scared (it could be because he just recently shed).i am feeding him 12-15 crickets a day usually, and just got some small super worms for him. I must his leaves a few times a day so there’s drips on it he can drink. I use the Petsmart brand calcium powder and dust it on his crickets before giving them to him. I only use filtered water bottle water to fill the spray bottle. It seems as if he poops once a day and pees as well, a white cream color.
For his cage, I will take a picture that will be easier. (The white is a mixture of his shedding & some extra calcium powder that fell out of the bag when I put it on the crickets)- I will be cleaning it tomorrow!
That setup is not good bro. He need a hiding spot more coverage to feel safe he needs a dripper cuz they don’t drink still water. 3 sides of cage covered white shower liners. small computer fan for circulation. t5 light bulb and at least one live plant to help with moisture. lil by lil make him feel comfortable and you’ll be good you just need some time

For your original question about the crickets you will want something like this. I put a small computer fan over top to help with air flow.

28233D2C-AC5E-4D58-B0B9-359BC6A75C9F.jpeg

That setup is not good bro. He need a hiding spot more coverage to feel safe he needs a dripper cuz they don’t drink still water. 3 sides of cage covered white shower liners. small computer fan for circulation. t5 light bulb and at least one live plant to help with moisture. lil by lil make him feel comfortable and you’ll be good you just need some time
Is there any way you could send me a picture of your cage? That’s what I want to improve most on right now, so he feels secure & safe. Thanks so much!

No one was trying to ridicule or embarrass you. We see people with these kits all the time. I was one of them.

So as you can see from the pictures you need a lot more vines and branches for him to climb around on. As it is now he can’t get close enough to the lights to bask or absorb uvb.

For supplements you should use a calcium without d3 every feeding. A calcium with d3 every 2 weeks and a multivitamin every 2 weeks on alternating weeks.
This is helpful thank you, I’ll buy things tomorrow to improve his cage. I do have a question though, he is able to climb up the sides of the cage & get close to the light? Is that common? He stays there & warms himself during the day! Also, can I order those multi vitamins off amazon? I’d like to use whatever vitamins you suggest

Get rid of your carpet it’s a breeding ground for bacteria. Also if you are trying to keep insects they also require good husbandry heat food and water.
Should I just take out the green turf/carpet? And leave the black plastic on the bottom? Or what do you suggest to put on the bottom of the cage

Back
Top Bottom