First question here!!

Not trying to embarrass you at all. You have no idea how many people like you come on here with a setup like that but it's already too late and the chameleon is near death. If you bought gutload at petco or Petsmart thats not sufficient. And chameleons are born in the wild so they can have an adult cage day one. You need more than just the calcium.
He’s near death? What can I do

Thank you this is awesome. How many do you buy at a time? And what’s the easier way to get them out? Egg crate pieces?

I buy like 1000 at a time but I have 3 chams and a bunch of other animals to feed so you will only need like what he eats in a week or 2. You will want to add in variety of bugs as well.

To get the crickets out I use toilet paper and paper towel rolls and fold one end over. Then you can just pick it up and dump them into a cup.

Small chams will climb the cage but it’s not safe for them to bask that close to light. They can get burnt. The basking branch should be about 8 or so inches from the light. The basking spot should be about 85f at that age. Take into account it should be 85 at the top of his casque.

Yes take the carpet out. They harbour bacteria. It’s much easier to clean the bare floor. Also take out that water bowl. Chams don’t drink standing water they drink water droplets off leaves. You should be misting his cage at least a couple times a day.

Here’s a picture of one of my more simple cages the same size as your.

62DD7A31-B360-445B-A308-18D4BA2A9BD4.jpeg

I use a cricket keeper and have little die off. I believe the key is keeping it clean. I never realized just how much poo bugs do. I use a paper towel on bottom of keeper and change it when soiled. When all the crickets are gone, I wash with dawn and rinse well. I have the large size which can hold 100 crickets but the most I’ve put in is 6 - 7 dozen. I feed with fresh greens, fruits and the occasional orange cube.
Ignore everything that Petco has told/sold you and listen carefully to those here and follow their advisements. Chams are their passion and they really know their stuff.

This is the most help anyone has given me on here so far- thank you so much. I just wrote everything down in my notebook & am going tomorrow to get what I need so he can thrive! I love him so much I just want him happy. I do mist his cage! But I will be buying a little dripper because it seems more beneficial. Sorry one more question, for the crickets, does it matter what greens/ fruits I give them?

This is the most help anyone has given me on here so far- thank you so much. I just wrote everything down in my notebook & am going tomorrow to get what I need so he can thrive! I love him so much I just want him happy. I do mist his cage! But I will be buying a little dripper because it seems more beneficial. Sorry one more question, for the crickets, does it matter what greens/ fruits I give them?

No problem. Ask as many questions as you like. Sometimes people on here may seem rude or short with people (myself included) but we all see so many people with the wrong stuff it starts to ware on people. You just have to look past those comments to the vast amount of knowledge everyone on here has. I would be lost without these forums.

“Gutloading ingredients should be higher in calcium than phosphorus, as well as low in oxalatesand goitrogens. High phosphorus levels inhibit calcium absorption.
Each time you [choose ingredients] get two or three options, then rotate them for something else next time. Make sure you wash all produce to eliminate pesticide residues and cut off the peel of fruits and vegetables as they have waxes and pesticides you can't wash off.

Suggested Ingredients
Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalatesand goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload:
mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category:
sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

These fresh fruits and vegetables can be combined with dry gutload mixes or home made mixes for optimal well-rounded nutrition. Dry ingredients can include:
bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds.

Avoid These Ingredients
Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates. “

No they are just saying when new people come on here and have set ups like yours it’s because the Cham is sick. It’s just a matter of time, but you are I good hands! @Lennoncham has posted some really great info for ya! :)
Yep!! I wrote down 2 notebook pages filled of stuff. Already put the trash bag on the 3 sides of the cage, am getting rid of the cage, and tomorrow doing as much as I can to make his cage better for him!! Thank you

Haven’t been on this thread in a while, but wanted to show you all how far my cage has come :) She’s elevated, new lights, gut loaded crickets, SO many leaves, live pothos! And so so thankful to you all for helping me along the way. Lots of work still to put in, but super happy at how filled the cage is looking

Attachments

• B50EB04E-F667-475C-A834-415C6F52332C.jpeg
    B50EB04E-F667-475C-A834-415C6F52332C.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 155
Haven’t been on this thread in a while, but wanted to show you all how far my cage has come :) She’s elevated, new lights, gut loaded crickets, SO many leaves, live pothos! And so so thankful to you all for helping me along the way. Lots of work still to put in, but super happy at how filled the cage is looking

Whoa you have been busy! Looking awesome!

Back
Top Bottom