First enclosure. Is this too much? Ideas, thoughts to improve?

devol

This is my first time setting up an emosuremfor a Cham, how does it look? Too much foliage? I'm using a 75w repti basking spot lamp, a 18" reptisun 5.0 and ill be using a low profile rain dome. Nothing is actually sitting on the bottom of the cage and ill be drilling some small drainage holes and using a heavy rock to create a drainage point at the bottom. Figure the bowed bottom will direct water.

I'm looking for pointers, suggestions on how to make this the best habitat I can until he's ready for a bigger cage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 289
Very nice, a potho plant would be nice.... and the plant alone will make that weight to gravitate to the center.
I have a similar set up to my baby panther. Congratulations

It looks pretty good and like Yak said, a Pothos would be a good last touch. Also, I can't really tell from the picture but that green thing on the bottom, if that's repti carpet or something like that you should probably get rid of it because in a humid chameleon cage it could mold and cause respiratory problems. At least that's what I've read, and it might just be a piece of green plastic :p.

It looks pretty good and like Yak said, a Pothos would be a good last touch. Also, I can't really tell from the picture but that green thing on the bottom, if that's repti carpet or something like that you should probably get rid of it because in a humid chameleon cage it could mold and cause respiratory problems. At least that's what I've read, and it might just be a piece of green plastic :p.

It's just green plastic

Thanks for live plant suggestions I'm going to pick up a live plant tomorrow. Think a backsplash behind the cage is a smart move?

Looks like your raindome is positioned in the back so a backsplash on the back side is probably a good idea. Or you could even attach the backsplash to the wall instead of the back of the cage. Either way you want to protect your wall.

Live plants not only add realism, but humidity too. I have pet peeve about plastic plants. I know chameleons can tell the difference.

Your basking lamp is not placed correctly. A good portion of it is hanging off the top, not sure why.

Your thread title made me laugh....fist enclosure=glove or mitten.:D Good luck with your new cham!:)

There is not enough room on top of the cage for the rain dome and the basking light to sit flush so it rests on the edge of the cage slightly angling the light to the right.

There is not enough room on top of the cage for the rain dome and the basking light to sit flush so it rests on the edge of the cage slightly angling the light to the right.

Get rid of the rain dome , add better lighting, use a hand sprayer, and of course, real plants for real chams. Nice idea about the pot free bottom.;)

You are on your way.

I see your quandary. You could just put a mist head inside the cage to free up some room. Hand misting would be a step in the wrong direction. Automation gets you healthier chams and frees you up for unexpected emergencies without your animals suffering for it.

Hand misting would be a step in the wrong direction. Automation gets you healthier chams and frees you up for unexpected emergencies without your animals suffering for it.

Can you show us the study proves your claim? The healthier chams part. I'd like to see it. Or is that just your opinion?

I would put more branches at different heights by the basking light, so the Cham can choose his heat level.

Definitely would go with Pathos as the plant.

Think about a mist head instead of a dome; the domes take up too much room and limit being able to position lights.

If you want the drips instead of mist, run the 1/4 inch misting hose into the cage, and use 2-3 feet of 1/4 inch black soaker hose (available at Lowes/HD). Dripping rain inside the cage, wrapped through the branches and Pathos.....priceless!

Can you show us the study proves your claim? The healthier chams part. I'd like to see it. Or is that just your opinion?

No need to get upset.

It is a well documented fact that many chameleons do better with extended misting cycles, so unless you hand spray for an extended period you will not get the same effect. There are also many observations of shy chameleons that will not drink deeply while a human is standing in front of their enclosure spraying them.

Also, if you have an emergency and need to go away for a weekend, or want to spend quality time with your family, you don't have to worry about the health of your chameleon. Or hire someone to mist them and wonder if they are doing it right.

Not judging you..........

No need to get upset.

It is a well documented fact that many chameleons do better with extended misting cycles, so unless you hand spray for an extended period you will not get the same effect. There are also many observations of shy chameleons that will not drink deeply while a human is standing in front of their enclosure spraying them.

Also, if you have an emergency and need to go away for a weekend, or want to spend quality time with your family, you don't have to worry about the health of your chameleon. Or hire someone to mist them and wonder if they are doing it right.

Not judging you..........

No one is upset here at all. I just thought that by your statement it was more than an opinion. Automation helps in certain circumstances by I haven't heard anywhere else in the hobby that its healthier, like you said. Just clarifying.

No one is upset here at all. I just thought that by your statement it was more than an opinion. Automation helps in certain circumstances by I haven't heard anywhere else in the hobby that its healthier, like you said. Just clarifying.

Yes, I can soundly say it is of my opinion that an automated watering system makes for healthier chameleons compared to hand watering. Many other keepers I know have noted increased health after installing an automated system, however we have not done an official study because we are only mere keepers of chameleons, not involved with promotion of any brand of misting system.

Our observations are only anecdotal and not based in any fact or studied literature. There may be studies and literature out there, especially among EU chameleon keepers or zoological institutions that I am not aware of.

Please accept my apologies for such a gross overstatement.

Back
Top Bottom