First enclosure. Is this too much? Ideas, thoughts to improve?

Most people say their chams like the rain dome better than hand misting and most notice that they drink more too, that's from what I've read here. Hand misting isn't an option for me anyway. I am going to fix the light to the wall, just slightly above the cage and just aimed to the left a bit to better penetrate the cage. I also picked up a small pothos and umbrella plant. I'm thinking the umbrella under the basking lamp and pothos hanging on the other side of the cage. I'll remove the fake plants in a few weeks aftervthe real plants have eatablished themselves. I may have to use some fake plants as filler ar first. I have the main basking branch, a really sturdy vine and I'm going to add one more small branch caddy corner to the basking area. Should I go lower than the existing basking branch or higher?

I'm going to add one more small branch caddy corner to the basking area. Should I go lower than the existing basking branch or higher?

Now your over-thinking it.:) Besides the basics of just providing a good basking height, proper lighting, watering, and foliage, climbing branches, it should just look as natural as possible and allow him easy access to all parts of the enclosure without resorting to climbing on the walls. After the basics are covered, go with what "looks good".

You never said what kind/size of chameleon, unless I missed that. The distance from the highest branch to the basking bulb will be determined by the size of the chameleon and the temperature requirements of that species as well as the bulb wattage used.

Live plants not only add realism, but humidity too. I have pet peeve about plastic plants. I know chameleons can tell the difference.

Your basking lamp is not placed correctly. A good portion of it is hanging off the top, not sure why.

Your thread title made me laugh....fist enclosure=glove or mitten.:D Good luck with your new cham!:)

Lol sorry I even read the post twice. Lol I guess I didn't double check the title. Forgive me. Lol

Lol title says "first enclosure" had me thinking it said fist.

It did say "fist", someone changed it. :)

On your highest basking branch the temperature should be ~85F-90F or so. Just be sure he can't get up real close to the bulb or they can toast their dorsal crest. They don't have much if any feeling in the spikes, so if they are going to get thermal burns, that's where it will be. Good luck.

Well, I decided to remove the fake plants and go with some live plants instead. I'm in southern az and I need all the humidity I can get. I'm rinsing and reporting now. I will post pics as soon as I'm done. I already feel MUCH better about the enclosure!

Back
Top Bottom