first cham, help pls

kathizzy

Hi there ive just got my first ever chameleon that was supposed to come with full setup. He was delivered at t time today. The thing is he didnt have a basking light at all,:eek: i know he needs one, and ive gave him a made do one for now,but im worried as he's had him a few months with no basking light,he had a uv light, will he of come to any harm without this heat? Ill get him a proper one tommorow, is the best thing to get one of those with a shade thats sits on top, or one to go inside the viv with a cage round it? Also he is on a soil substrate, and i dont think it looks right clever, whats the best thing to use. Also he's nearly 1 year old, and he feeds him livefood every day, and i found a lot of wax worms in there, so he wont get many of them from me, but he's never feed him much fruit or leafs ect, what do you guys feed as well as livefoods? And when should i slow his livefood down to once every other day? He's a lovely friendly little fella who didnt want to go back in his viv, how long is it ok to let a cham roam? Obviouslynot alone. Thanks very much

Hello & welcome. Since I am in the US, Miss Lily, from the UK is going to talk to you about chams UK style. She is a super doll and very knowledgeable. That will help now, but i am always ready to help. She sent the reply on the UK forum. We have you covered no matter where you are.

Reactions: Hoj
Yeah she's been a great help on the uk rep forums, is the cham forums american then? Ill prob still come for help tho :D thanks

Welcome to the forum!
Here is some information that I hope will help explain supplements and a couple of other things that are indirectly involved....its one area that newbies seem to have a hard time with...
Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite which has beta carotene.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/
If you can't access the sites above that have the word "archive" in you can do it through the WayBackMachine.

Hello & welcome. Since I am in the US, Miss Lily, from the UK is going to talk to you about chams UK style. She is a super doll and very knowledgeable. That will help now, but i am always ready to help. She sent the reply on the UK forum. We have you covered no matter where you are.
So does this mean there is a canadian site? or is this the NORTH American site(for both countries?)

:eek: Thank you Laurie! I had already replied on the other forum before I signed on here. I just love chams and want to help where I can.

Yeah she's been a great help on the uk rep forums, is the cham forums american then? Ill prob still come for help tho :D thanks
Welcome! This forum is mainly made up of American members, but there are more and mroe cham owners in the UK signing on allt he time! There are keepers from all over the world on here! Due to the environment in the different countries - some keep chams differently to others, such as housing, etc. I find this forum much better for chameleon information as it's a dedicated forum. Everyone on here is really passionate about their chameleons and wants to do the best for them!:D

So does this mean there is a canadian site? or is this the NORTH American site(for both countries?)

Currently we limit membership to people on the planet earth. There hasn't been anyone from someplace other that earth try to join....... well not that I know of.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We really do have members from all over the world. That is just a part of what makes this forum great.

Back
Top Bottom