First Breeding and There is Blood, Is This Normal?

Blaze

Is it common for there to be blood whenever breeding occurs? This is the first time for both of my Virgin Ambilobe Panther Chameleons and there was blood the first time he pulled away from her!

Hi Blaze,

I had this happen and it wasn't good. You can search for my thread "Death of a female panther" from 2008. Maybe someone who knows how to add the link can do it for me.

We think she got an infection from the mating and it developed over time and eventually killed her. A preventative course of antibiotics might have saved her, but who knows? I would definitely consult a vet, because it was a very sad outcome. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Hi Blaze,

I had this happen and it wasn't good. You can search for my thread "Death of a female panther" from 2008. Maybe someone who knows how to add the link can do it for me.

We think she got an infection from the mating and it developed over time and eventually killed her. A preventative course of antibiotics might have saved her, but who knows? I would definitely consult a vet, because it was a very sad outcome. I hope you have better luck than I did.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/death-female-panther-warning-necropsy-photo-18634/

This happened to me while breeding geckos. It's called (if this is what happened to your guy) hemoejaculation. It happens in one out of every so many males the first time they mate, and end up ejaculating blood, which may end up sprayed all over the place if she pulls away.

When this happened to me I was concerned although I couldn't see any damage on either animal and took them to the vet the next morning. He didn't find anything either, and it wasn't until I contacted huge gecko breeders that they assured me that it is unusual but fairly normal. And that both parties are completely fine after the incident.

You can always take them in for a check-up to make sure everything is still good. But if this can happen to chameleons then I suspect it could be this hemoejaculation thing.

Back
Top Bottom