Finally, success!!

Mom

Today is a glorious day! I am super pleased to have finally bred crickets!
I've tried multiple times in the past to breed and raise crickets to feed off to my jackson's. The end results were always the same, failure. I'll admit that I had given up attempting to breed my own feeders.

When I received my baby panther two months ago, I decided to give it another whirl. This time I was more prepared after learning from my mistakes in the past. However, I had a few set backs.. My dog had taken a few bowls of potential hatchlings and ate it... Discouraged once more, I gave breeding crickets one last final effort. Unfortunately no luck, or so I thought. A week or so later, I have little nymphs running around looking like grains of rice.

Since this is my first time with baby crickets, does anyone have any pointers? Do I feed them differently or in a different way? At the moment I have gutloaded fruits/veggies in their container.

Thanks for any tips! And feel free to share any of your stories about your feeders :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 80
Congrats on your success! I have never breed crickets but when I buy pinheads I feed them Cricket Crack, a dry gutload and put a moist sponge, in a plastic lid, in with them for water.

I was unsuccessful for my first few attempts until I realized my temps were off. The original material I read said to keep crickets at 75-80F, which I found out later was why they weren't breeding. Another source I read said to breed, increase temps to 82-86 F, which worked for me.

Incidentally, now I breed dubias and just buy crickets from Backwater since I don't need as many anymore.

Congrats on your success! I have never breed crickets but when I buy pinheads I feed them Cricket Crack, a dry gutload and put a moist sponge, in a plastic lid, in with them for water.
Thank you for the tip, Jann! I will be sure to give them a dry gutload. My next attempt is breeding hawk moths. In a week or so they should emerge from their cocoons. Hoping for a better outcome on this first try than I had with my crickets. Lol.

Im envious! I cant seem to have luck breeding mine!!
I read a lot and watched a lot of videos before I got right. I was worried I was misting the dirt to much or not enough. then I worried about the adult crickets eating the eggs before I had the chance to remove the container. My advice to you is to keep trying! Haha.

I was unsuccessful for my first few attempts until I realized my temps were off. The original material I read said to keep crickets at 75-80F, which I found out later was why they weren't breeding. Another source I read said to breed, increase temps to 82-86 F, which worked for me.

Incidentally, now I breed dubias and just buy crickets from Backwater since I don't need as many anymore.

I live here in Florida, so I keep my feeders outside. Because of this, I don't have to really worry about controlling heat or humidty at the moment. One day I plan on getting dubias.. Even though they are illegal in Florida. I'm just worried about any escapes that might happen. I can be a bit clumsy sometimes. Haha. Which is why I always keep my feeders outside ;-)

Back
Top Bottom