FINALLY got my very first cham!!!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing Kronk grow up :)

So I’ve got a fair amount of pictures because this is a two day update so I’ll get right down to it, but first I just want to plug that PureShot app again because I really like it. I’ve more or less gotten the hang of it and its made taking good pictures way easier. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to get the most out of their Iphone camera. Here’s a screenshot of the UI to give you an idea of what its like.

Anyway, down to business. Yesterday was pretty uneventful, I offered him grubs and I think he ate a few but he mostly turned up his nose at them, so I switched to crickets, which are his favorite, and he ate about fifteen over two servings. His eye was also starting to look a little flakier.

I sit right by a window when I feed him so one side turns a little darker. Maybe I should have named him Harvey?

Imminent doom.

He looks like candy…

He turned very green and did a lot of exploring/romping, including actually going on the floor, which freaked me out because I know they basically don’t go down there unless something is wrong, but he only poked around for a few seconds before deciding it wasn’t for him and climbing back up.

Today was super exciting! He shed for the first time under my care! It’s a relief, because I was expecting it to happen much earlier. I woke up to snapping…

…and stretching. (lol)

The flaking on his eye had spread to most of his face, and his tail was starting to peel off as well.

He gave his branch a security lick in this time of discomfort.

Then things started to go down.

It’s weird, he’s been acting all sulky lately, which makes sense now, but when he was actually shedding he was super social, hanging around the front of the cage and eating enthusiastically from my hand. Strange.

His eye and grabbers and tail were the first to go

Then he took a quick break to reenact a few scenes from 300…

…And pretend he was some sort of crazy pirate/mad scientist.

Then he got down to it. “GET THIS **** OFF OF ME!!”

REALLY wish this were in focus :(

His ex-tail, still where he left it.

I’m really glad that humans shed constantly in little tiny flakes so we don’t have to go through stuff like this.

Makin progress. I stood there watching and picking up the pieces.

…and out came a beautiful butterfly!

…won’t be needing this anymore…

That’s all I got for now! Hopefully he should be more outgoing again now that that’s done with, and the weather is going to go back up into the cham-friendly range again tomorrow or the next day, so things seem to be looking up for the near future! I’m having so much fun watching his colors come in, and this was a big jump, his resting colors are more along the lines of what his fired colors were before…

Congratulations on your new little one. I love how he popped into his new colors :)
It has been a joy to watch this thread and see him grow and bond with you!

He looks wonderful! Those stripes he's showing are already lovely, can't wait to see the little thing grow up :]

Thanks guys! I'm really means a lot to hear you're liking it, its cool to be able to share him growing up :) It will be interesting to see how he ends up!

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah he’s got some pretty bold stripes, my breeder said he thought he would be pretty deep and dark, and so far he’s right! (He also said he thought he would be pretty big!)

The last few days have been pretty busy and have kind of blurred together for me, and I haven’t had time to update. I was, however, taking pictures! He’s really been starting to show some amazing colors since the shed.

He’s got this whole new green color scheme that he uses a lot now, especially when feeding; I haven’t been seeing as much of the yellow lately

That being said, he can still turn almost white when he wants.

Crazy that this is the same animal. He has this funny pale patch by the base of his tail. I had noticed it before, but it’s become much more pronounced since he shed. His tail in general seems to be lighter then the rest of him

When he does use his “old colors” there is a lot more red, especially in his armpit/shoulder area, and the blues are much deeper.

I’ve never seen him go all the way down this branch before…

He can definitely get pretty dang dark when he wants. You can really see the pale patch in this one

More o dat green

Some outdoor pics! More stinkeye…

Baskin

I really like this one

Decided to do a little macro crop since it’s so easy to get a crisp shot outside. Too bad his sunbathing colors are not his most attractive.

So yesterday I was chillin with him outside, and I decided to go get a snack. I was thinking to myself “should I really disturb him by moving the plant back into the porch? I’m only going to be gone for a second.” followed immediately by: “YES, IT ONLY TAKES A SECOND”, so I moved him to the porch. And boy am I glad I did, cause here’s the sight that greeted me when I got back!

I let him chill there for a while since he was in dappled sunlight and its where he wanted to be, but eventually he started to try and go higher and I nixed the whole thing since he didn’t have a great grip and brick is not the ideal landing pad.

Enjoying, or at least tolerating, some roaches. His favorite foods seem to be, in order: crickets, grubs, then a huge step down to roaches, silkworms and superworms.

That’s yesterday and the day before (I think); today was pretty exciting and I will post pics later tonight, but for now I need to look at something a little farther away then my computer screen for a while haha. Thanks for looking!

Here are today’s pics.

Showin off his red throat

We were chillin outside, and he started to make a slow motion break for it!

I stood back and watched, since he was leaf walking the whole way

…and we’re off on a grand adventure!

Pictured: Aesop on the road to adventure

While he was on the bricks he lunged and snapped up something that I totally didn’t see. It was small and really crunchy, and looked to be a black beetle when he was chewing it up. Hopefully that’s ok.

Eventually it became clear that he was going for the apple tree so I decided to put the kibosh on his odyssey

Here he is climbing onto my phone as I tried to get a closeup. He was very rambunctious after his exploration, and was trying to crawl all over me.

Hunkering down for the night. So cute.

And finally some vids of him on his adventure

(Ignore the power tools in the background, I have no idea what my neighbor was doing lol)

More to come!

Thank you both! Of course I don't mind :) I don't have an exact hatch date but he is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5-5 months.

Your so lucky im planning on bying one I just need to choose between a panther cham or a veiled cham. I want to go with the one easiest to care for that grows the less big and one that can eat a bit of lettuce like that when I leave on vacations I dont have to worry about the amount of insects I put in his cage.

Please recommendations?

Thank you thank you :) Well I'm pretty far from being an expert, but from what I understand Panthers and Vieldes are basically the same difficulty, and that Vieldes are pretty much the only cham that eats veggies, but they also get bigger then panthers. Hope that helps! (Also going away on vacation will probably require more than that)

thanks

I don't know if were I live is a very good place and weather for them. I live in Edmonton, AB, Can... and it can be a bit chilly in winter with the snow and all. So... obviously I won't bring him to close to a window but I need some peoples advice. Should I bye one?

And congrats for your new cham

Back
Top Bottom