FINALLY got my very first cham!!!

He looks great! Congrats. Good thing you got him while the wather was nice before more snow tomorrow! This better be the last snow... I had to take down the outdoor cage so the plants don't freeze.

Thanks! I know its getting pretty old, pretty old indeed. Although in a few months its going to be a billion degrees and we'll be begging for this kind of weather.

Today was much more along the lines of what I was expecting. He's stayed pretty much black all day so far and didn't do nearly as much exploring. He also didn't eat, at least not that I saw, but I left a cup in his cage kind of precariously and when I came back from running errands it had fallen and all the bugs were gone, so I don't know if he got any. He was exactly where I left him so I don't really think so. I did see him drink though! Here's a picture of what he looks like now, dark and with a water droplet on his nose.
IMG_0823.jpg

So I think I misinterpreted his darkness as stress, when it was really basking. Later on yesterday he lightened up and let me hold him again and stayed pretty light for the rest of the evening.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Today was even better, he came out again and I tried to do some hand feeding. Still not there yet, but he did eat a phoenix worm off my lap and a superworm off my forearm while he was on my hand, so that’s pretty close!

IMG_0848.jpg

He then repaid the favor by pooping on me. Does it look normal? It looks pretty different from the one he passed on the day he arrived. That one was much darker and had an orange urate, so he was probably dehydrated from being shipped; I just want to make sure. Also with this one it looks kind of like there is a little patch that didn’t quite get fully digested, you can see it best in the second pic.

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Then he had a little impromptu freerange on my bamboo while I washed my hands, then we chilled for a bit more.

IMG_0867.jpg

Now he’s back in his cage and doing this, which I would say is basking.

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

So far so good!!

Things are going well, little Aesop is developing more of an appetite (seven phoenix worms!) and I think he’s starting to map out his enclosure because he’s been moving around with much more confidence. Once again he let me hold him, and it seems like his colors are getting brighter every day! (which I guess they technically are…). I think a shed is coming; he’s been opening his mouth every now and then, and rubbing his eyes on branches. Also when the mister came on he immediately went and got as much exposure as he could, as opposed to yesterday when he ran for the hills.

IMG_0902.jpg

Breakfast!

IMG_0908.jpg

Communicating with the gods?!?

IMG_0910.jpg

Just cruisin

IMG_0933.jpg

And a little hide and seek.

Aesop is very, very cute and seems to be settling in nicely! Glad he's come to trust you so quickly - that is the basis for a long and fruitful relationship! Keep us posted on his growth and color formation!

Thanks! I've never had any other interaction with any other cham except for briefly holding a veiled at store, so I don't really have anything to compare him to, but he seems really outgoing! (the one at the store was clearly freaked out, which is why it was brief). I definitely will keep the pics a-comin, he is pretty much a never ending kodak moment and he doesn't seem all that bothered by the iphone. And on that note...

You can see the beginnings of a shed on his cheek in this one and the next one

RED

Look at his little knee!

I think I'm going to enter this into the next contest

And some feeding videos from this morning

Thanks! Me too, I was definitely prepared to have a pissy little gremlin when I opened the deli cup. I feel super lucky, although I've got to give a huge shoutout to Bruce over at Cham Paradise; there is no way Aesop would be this nice if he hadn't had an awesome life before coming to me.

Today was a fairly rambunctious day. He made a bodily deposit; the urate was gleaming white. As you may have seen in my other thread, I got him to eat out of my hand. It seemed the trick was letting the grub crawl around on my palm instead of holding it between my fingers for him. He ate about a dozen, as opposed to about twenty crickets yesterday, although the grubs are bigger so I suppose that adds up. He also went on a little adventure up my arm/sleeve and ending on my head! After this and the handfeeding, he seemed a little higher energy then usual and kept hanging around the door (I keep it open when I'm around) and showing a lot of interest in the cymbidium orchid next to his enclosure, to the point that he even tried to make a little escape attempt. I rearranged things so he couldn't get to one from the other, but he just kept staring at it so eventually I gave him his wish and put him on it for some free range. He didn't know what to do lol. Eventually I plan on setting up a more strategized and deliberate FR area, but this worked for now; he loosened up after a while and clambered around a little. Not the greatest plant for climbing on though, especially since it's not in bloom. Not the greatest pics either, but you can see the beginnings of color starting to make itself known...

Up on my noggin

Free rangin!

Some quick hand feeding videos

He does look like a Kandiroo baby! I'm glad your guys adventurous cause Renly wont leave his cage! Awesome hand feeding too!

Thank you thank you! :D If he's eating from your hand I feel like its only so long before he builds up that food association. It can definitely take a little bit of coaxing sometimes. I just hope he doesn't get too adventurous, I think we both like being able to keep the door open.

Todays theme was food. I offered him about twenty supers. He looked at them for a while and even made some striking movements with his head but ultimately wasn't havin it. Eventually I decided the worms were too big (I got them a while back before he was delayed) and dumped them back and switched to crickets. Staring at those worms must have got his appetite up, because when I offered the crix he DEVOURED them. Like 25-30 in under ten minutes, just pop pop pop, two or three at a time strike after strike. I put him back in and he chilled for a few hours then I offered him some grubs for lunch and he had four out of my hand, although he wasn't down to leave the cage again. Eventually I saw him rubbing his eye, which he has been doing infrequently since I got him, and I think (?) that he's going to shed soon, so I put him in the shower for about 25 minutes. He turned pretty dark and didn't like it much, but I think it was probably good for him. Now obviously he's asleep, and I've put a wet towel on top of his cage under the usual sheet I use for darkness to keep the humidity extra high. Here are todays pics

Ugh his colors are being such a tease! That tiny little patch of geen-blue is killing me! You can see the peel on his leg that was there when I got him, and the white on his head that I assume is the precursor to a shed.

Being a goggly-eyed weirdo

"oh hai"

Giving me the stink eye...

Now you see it...

...now you don't

I went in for some close ups to show how plump he was and I do believe he told me to take a hike...

Jokes on him though, because I still got the pic. He's not puffed up here, like I said he just straight up gorged himself.

And hangin in the shower. This is before he darkened up. I hope he sheds soon!!

Hey Jupitor and Aesop! I think thats what's left from his shed, on his leg. I think they were shedding right before we got them cause Renly has the same on his head and it looks like its from his old shed and not from an upcoming one. (but im not 100% sure) He'll lighten up soon enough and he looks just like his brother and acts like him too it seems like! Renly likes to tell me to take a hike all the time!

Thanks drcross! My plan is to have it be like the 365 days of threads except a little more in depth. "The Life and Times of Aesop"

Fonz: this is good to know. I was beginning to worry why nothing more was happening. Now I get to worry about why its still there... It's tough to resist the temptation to take it off for him, even though I know not to. It's cool to get to see a "preview" of what he will look like in Renly. That was the first time he had ever really done that. He doesn't seem to have a problem with me, I think its the camera he doesn't like; he was shying away from it today too but was fine with being handled. It's an iphone and only has digital zoom, which is worthless, so I have to stick it up in his face to get a closeup, so I don't blame him.

Ohh im glad hes being nice, Renley is still being a **** lol. And yeah the iphone is not the best to take a pic with and it doesnt stay perfectly focused for me

Yeah its tough. One thing I've found that helps is to take like six in a row haha. Then you get some choice, and a better chance of getting a good one

Yesterday was pretty slow and uneventful. He seemed calmer and only ate three or four grubs when I had him out to feed, which makes sense given that he was still probably recovering from his feast the day before, but I left several in his enclosure. I used a different cup because I've been using the clear deli cup he came in and he's tried to shoot feeders through the sides before. The only thing is that this one isn't as tall and it got a little moist when the mister came on, and the grubs were able to climb because of that. I think some got out and fell into the plant, which may mean I can expect them to pupate into flies? Or he may have just gotten them all, in which case good for him. He definitely got a few that I saw.

Freeranging on the bamboo. Seemed pretty ambivalent about it.

Pretty darn pale. Better then the alternative I suppose.

So yesterday was a fairly standard day, fed him some crix for breakfast and some grubs for lunch, nothing super exciting. I'm going to give him another shower today I think, he's still doing a little eye rubbing. I'm also going to fill out the help form as well, partly just to check in and make sure I'm doing things right, and also because I'm a little worried about his gaping thing. I also found a nice trick to using the camera, even though I only have digital zoom, I only have to use it a tiny little bit to get nice closeups without sticking it in his face too much. Anyway, took a fair amount of pics, I'll probably update again later today if anyone cares; I'm not sure to what extent I'm talking to myself here.

I love seeing all of the pictures and hearing your updates.

It makes me even more anxious and excited to start showing pictures of my little guy (once I get him)

Nope, your not talking to yourself ;) I'm enjoying your pics :)
Where did you get your little guy, or did you already say?

Back
Top Bottom