Finally Baby Superworms!!! It works!

Picasso

It took forever but my Superworm project is working and I finally see baby superworms!! Very cool! :D

5-7-09040.jpg

5-7-09041.jpg

5-7-09050.jpg

5-7-09047.jpg

Nice setup with the shelves. I was thinking of going that route once my pupae finish morphing. Looks like you have a bunch of things mixed in with the oats, what is all that?

Cool, how long from worm to beetle when you started forcing them to pupate? how long since you put all the beetles in till now?
I have my first batch of about 80 turning now, only about a week or so in, I plan to use a large tub for the beetles.

You donn't need a big tub for the beetles. I use a tub that is a little larger than a shoe box for about 20 beetles.
It seems to take longer from Beetle stage to start seeing small worms than it takes to see the "adult" worm go from worm to pupate to beetle. So just be really, really patient.
I am estimating my colony took 3 and a half months before I saw any tiny worms. Once I see movement I scoop up the beetles and put them in a new tub along with some new beetles that transformed.

Wow 3 months? do the little worms grow that slowly too?
may take me all winter to see my first batch. I wonder how long before it will be self sustaining for dozens of animals ? LOl
Looks like im in it for the long haul :)

look like you put in rabbit food or something?

Jo i read somewhere that someone did it in about a months, but i think that was applying heat to them to increase growth rate.

Intresting, I know they dont like cold, the room there in goes to about 70f at night.
maybe thats too cold is why theyre slow, I may try increasing the temp a little, see if that speeds them up. :)

Intresting, I know they dont like cold, the room there in goes to about 70f at night.
maybe thats too cold is why theyre slow, I may try increasing the temp a little, see if that speeds them up. :)

i seem to see mine growing a few milimeters everyday. i have a 40w lamp on top of them, and they eat like crazy. I have them in a clear shelf organizer thing, and i can see a lot more movement with the heat on them.

you know its funny when they run around for some reason they remind me of horses, but its entertaining either way hahaha

I am working my group but they sure are slow. I don't mind waiting but those ugly beetles give me the creeps. The things I do for my chams!!!!

can someone explain the beetle to superworm thing? ive noticed those black beetles show up in the bottom of the chams cage but didnt know where they came from

can someone explain the beetle to superworm thing? ive noticed those black beetles show up in the bottom of the chams cage but didnt know where they came from

thats an adult "super worm" worms rarely reproduce as worms. the only worm i can think of is an earth worm that actually stays a worm

I ask this because I am thinking of raising silkworms since a have a huge mulberry tree in the back yard. I am still researching the best way to grow my own food for my panthers

thanks for sharing your experience! I would love to do this, but I just have one question... how badly does it smell?

I hate keeping a few dozen supers at a time. For some reason, their particular smell gets to me X-[

Back
Top Bottom