Fiberglass screen - cup feeding / won't get hot = ok?

ncosper

I can't get past the internal debate in my mind here. Everyone suggests aluminum screen because crickets can't chew through it and it won't melt like aluminum, but what is the downside to fiberglass if you only cup feed and use an alternative material on the top?

I can't seem to find aluminum locally, home depot says its an online only product, but I have a huge roll of fiberglass in my garage. I also never used to like how aluminum would dent when you bump it (I have a 19month old son that I know will touch and ultimately dent from him). I've also heard fiberglass is more transparent... Seems in my situation the two downsides to fiberglass are irrelevant and there are several advantages to fiberglass.

Should I still avoid fiberglass?
Thanks!

I think the possible benefits you are going to get from using fiberglass far outweigh the benefits you are going to get from seeking aluminum screen in your situation. I'm not too sure about the melting under heat source (you could test it before applying to the whole cage). As for crickets chewing the fiberglass, I have yet to hear about any occurrences of this happening, after all these years being a cham hobbyist. Hopefully, its a myth. :eek:

the problem i had with fiberglass *bottom of the cup feeding cup* is the crickets chewed through it really quick, and i had holes every were.

you could probably find it at a ace hardware, or possibly another home repair joint.

you want the alluminum.

the problem i had with fiberglass *bottom of the cup feeding cup* is the crickets chewed through it really quick, and i had holes every were.

you could probably find it at a ace hardware, or possibly another home repair joint.

you want the alluminum.

Do you have any organic material in your cage or real ground with soil ?

hmmm.... Everyone seems gung-ho on aluminum, but other than crickets chewing I don't see any other reasons.

No offense intended to anyone, and I'm really not one of those that is going to do whatever I want anyways, but I'm still honestly seeing more upside to fiberglass.

I don't intend on feeding crickets except on a very rare occasion as a treat. I hate crickets and should have a very high producing dubia colony going before my chams get here. Crickets chewing through my cage will not be an issue.

eisentraut: I won't have any substrate if that is what you are referring to with organic material. I will have live plants, in pots, but past that no organic material.

Marty: Apparently home depot stocks aluminum screen in some places but not all. The two home depots in my city do not carry it, only fiberglass.

Vertex: thanks. 8 yrs or so ago when I had a bunch of cages, several of them were fiberglass and I never had a cricket chewing problem. I don't doubt that it happens, but I've never seen it either.

If you only cup feed, you could consider using a much more open wire screen rather than a dense mesh. less to obstruct your view, less to block UVB, better for the chameleon to climb on (no toenails caught/lost on screen)

If you only cup feed, you could consider using a much more open wire screen rather than a dense mesh. less to obstruct your view, less to block UVB, better for the chameleon to climb on (no toenails caught/lost on screen)

I really had been considering that, I think the only reason I am leaning towards keeping a finer mesh is so I can feed some flies as a treat. I have a 20 month old son that I know will get a major kick out of watching the chameleons eat flies. That will be the only potential "loose" feeder these guys see. The longer I kick this around though the more I favor a more open screen.

Sang, I was actually thinking more along the lines of Blue Bottle Flies, but its neither here not there, screen with hold any feeder fly, hardware cloth might hold a junebug, but thats about it...

I think I have made my decision. I am going with the fiberglass. I know this isn't the popular choice but it just seems most logical for me. With the design I'm using for my cage, screen will be quite easy to replace. If I end up not liking it or needing to change, it should be only a few hours process....

Thanks for all the input every bit helped!

I have open wire for the tops of the cages. I ususually cup feed in the morning, and supervise free range feeding in the afternoon so that I can catch and remove anything uneaten. For those rare occassions when I use flying moths and such, I lay a piece of fine mesh over the top of the cage.

the walmart near me carries aluminum, fiberglass and pvc screen. just a tip

also, Home Depot had what looked to be an odd shaped (smaller than usual) wood/screen door for <$20. Four of those bad boys screwed together (one side hinging...) would make a wonderful cage.

Nick,
Thats the kind of info I was hoping to hear about fiberglass (well hoping not to hear, but something other than the crickets chewing and heat issues).

Do you know what leads to splintering? Wear or just time? And if its just time how long does it take? Like I mentioned I'm planning a design to easily change/replace the screen, so if necessary I can replace screen every so many years...
Thanks!

I beleive in direct sun it takes a season or 2. Of course where crickets chew holes or a hole is punched in the screen, the fiberglass slivers are immediately looking to stick into something. The concern i would have is that they are light enough to float in the air, possibly getting in an eye. If you have ever worked with fiberglass, you know it is like getting stung by nettles!

As a different option, the large hardware stores sell Pet Screen, which is more expensive, but is small enough grid to keep all feeders in but fruitflies, and is a stretchy, rubbery material. The only downside is it may let in less UVB than normal screen. I have only seen it in rolls of about 25 feet or so, and 3 or 4 feet wide. Great stuff.:D

Nick

http://super-screen.com/

This screen looks pretty good. Have not used it myself but plan to when I build my cage. It blocks out more UV than most as it's used mainly for outdoor porch screening, so you should use something else for the top.

Back
Top Bottom