How To Ask For Help / New Member Chameleon Information

Ok folks - not sure if this is the correct way to post this information as I am told to provide the following information in the Health Forum - cannot find a form to provide the following so I am posting as a new thread. If this isn't the correct way - someone please respond and guide me in the right direction.
Thanks

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon:
The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? -
  • Panther (Ambilobe) - Named him Master Chief Clyde - I'm retired Navy thus the naming for my little guy
  • Male
  • 3 Months
  • Arrived Friday 8/11/17 (FL Chams is the source I purchased from - seemed to have a good reputation from what I researched)
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? -
  • Twice daily for a couple of minutes each time - when he's basking I won't attempt to handle - only while he's chilling in the scheffllrea

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? -
  • Crickets (Small - 10-12 Daily) - staple of the his diet and supplement with Superworms and Silkworms
  • Superworms (Small - once so far and intend to use more as a treat intermingled with the crickets 2-3 times per week),
  • Silk-Worms (Ordering this week and will introduce next week to add variety - rotate with Superworm routine)
  • Morning to early afternoon (using both feeder cup and having a cricket on a small stick within visual range of my Chameleon - eventually I'll not hand feed as I will not be available during the morning - my Son is helping out until late September when he leaves for Pensacola FL to active duty w/ the USAF - he's a newly commissioned 2nd LT; couldn't resist bragging a little - proud Dad, ya know; we believe Clyde will be able to feed from his feeder tray exclusively by then as he should be familiar with that routine)
  • Gut loading all insects with the best and good recommended vegetables on this site
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? -

• Zoo Med Calcium Without Vitamin D3 Reptile Food - Daily dusting for all insects
  • Zoo Med Calcium With Vitamin D3 Reptile Food - Twice per month
Question: Is there another vitamin I should be supplementing?

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? -

• Dripper System - (Drips 24/7 at a rate of one drop per 8-10 seconds and drips directly from above into a Pothos plant)
  • Hand Mist 3-4 times throughout the day for a couple of minutes per misting (Purchasing a Mist King next month if not sooner)
Question: Do I mist directly onto Clyde in conjunction with misting all over the plants?
  • We have observed Clyde drinking from the dripper several times and assuming that he continues to do this based on that observation
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? -

• Observed Clyde pooping twice now - he did have a fecal dropping in the container he arrived in with same descriptors mentioned below with a white substance attached
  • Color is dark brown (espresso color) and is firm; noticed one Poop has white at the tip of the fecal dropping
  • Has not been tested for parasites
History -

• Nothing that I'm aware of - as stated previously purchased Clyde from FL Chams and he arrived healthy with a fecal droppings in the container
Cage Info -

Cage Type -

• Screen Enclosure 18" x 18" x 7' over all w/ the main screen enclosure being 4' tall

Lighting -

• Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Dual Kamp Fixture
  • Basking: 60 Watt Incandescent Flood Lamp
  • UVB: ReptiSun 5.0
  • Lights are on a timer - 6am-6pm
NOTE: Lights are placed 4" from the 1/4" screen top in the enclosure - I do not have the fine aluminum screen in the top of the cage in order to allow as much UVB and basking light as possible

Temperature -

• Cage floor Temps: 70-75
  • Basking Spot: 85-90
  • Overnight temps stay in the 70-75 range (We live in Virginia and Clyde's enclosure is on our screened in back porch - I'll move him into the Goat Locker (my name for my man-cave above detached garage) in late September once overnight temperatures drop into the mid-high 60s / daytime temps will still be in the 80s range
NOTE: We'll monitor the environmentals more as we move into September but for now it's hot and humid in the Old Dominion; perfect humidity for Clyde

Humidity -

• Humidity fluctuates between 60-90 percent
  • I have 2 nice sized live plants (Pothos and Scheffllrea) combined w/ misting helps maintain humidity; plus it's just humid this time of yea
NOTE: I use a dual analog thermometer and hygrometer

Plants -

• Scheffllrea - Medium Size
  • Pothos - Medium Size
Placement -

• Screened back porch
Location -

• Virginia - Tidewater Area

Clyde (Close Up) 3-months.jpg Clyde (hanging on) 3-months.jpg Clyde (stealth) 3-months.jpg Clyde's Enclosure.jpg

As a note I forgot to mention earlier - I will be building Clyde another enclosure for when he's mature - 4' wide x 8' tall x 30" deep - his main pad in the Goat Locker and will use his current enclosure during the summer months to allow him more exposure to the outside environment.

Sounds like you're on the right track with everything! To answer your supplementation question, yes, you'll need to find a phosphorous free multi-vitamin to dust twice per month on the weeks you do not dust D3.

For the vitamins...i recommend a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A be used twice a month. PrOformed sources wont build up in the system like prEformed sources of vitamin A can and this means you don't have to worry about overdosing the chameleon with vitamin A. However...it leaves it up to you to decide if/when you want/need to use a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A.

For the vitamins...i recommend a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A be used twice a month. PrOformed sources wont build up in the system like prEformed sources of vitamin A can and this means you don't have to worry about overdosing the chameleon with vitamin A. However...it leaves it up to you to decide if/when you want/need to use a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A.

Thanks for the clarification - looking for a good vitamin supplement now

I use Rep-Cal products. Rep-cal Herptivite is what I use for both my cham and leopard gecko as far as multi-vitamins go.

Folks - Have a feeding issue:
As of now my Son feeds Clyde in the AM
But come late September - He will no longer be available - I leave for work super early, 4:30am or 0430 for us Military folks. So my question is this:
Can I feed Clyde or at least put his food in his feeder cup that early without fear of these critters bothering him? His lights come on at 0600 - We do turn a few crickets loose as free range and hell who am I kidding those dang crickets are escape artist from his feeder bowl as well.
Thoughts anyone?

Folks - Have a feeding issue:
As of now my Son feeds Clyde in the AM
But come late September - He will no longer be available - I leave for work super early, 4:30am or 0430 for us Military folks. So my question is this:
Can I feed Clyde or at least put his food in his feeder cup that early without fear of these critters bothering him? His lights come on at 0600 - We do turn a few crickets loose as free range and hell who am I kidding those dang crickets are escape artist from his feeder bowl as well.
Thoughts anyone?

I would't be concerned about that. If you throw in 10 crickets having a few escape for the few hours until lights on should be fine. In my opinion. the bigger he gets the less i would worry too. Maybe put a carrot at the bottom of the cage so the ones that escape will go to the bottom and eat?

I would't be concerned about that. If you throw in 10 crickets having a few escape for the few hours until lights on should be fine. In my opinion. the bigger he gets the less i would worry too. Maybe put a carrot at the bottom of the cage so the ones that escape will go to the bottom and eat?

Copy all - sounds good and the carrot trick is an excellent idea.
Thanks, Mate

Back
Top Bottom