How To Ask For Help / New Member Chameleon Information

IMG_1129.JPG Getting a MistKing system soon - So a question concerning placement of the mists head in Clydes current enclosure - It's 18"x18"x4' screened - Pictured above.
Question: How many misting heads? My thoughts are 1 for this size enclosure; pointing down from top front so the sheffelera plant can get the effects of the spray. I'm assuming the spay / misting should not be over the basking spot? Also, I would like to get rid of the manual dripper and have the MistKing take it's place.
I have seen on several youtube videos the MistKing having the ability to create a sort of rain drop effect from atop the screen. Should I consider this in addition to a mist head?
Any thoughts?

View attachment 188639 Getting a MistKing system soon - So a question concerning placement of the mists head in Clydes current enclosure - It's 18"x18"x4' screened - Pictured above.
Question: How many misting heads? My thoughts are 1 for this size enclosure; pointing down from top front so the sheffelera plant can get the effects of the spray. I'm assuming the spay / misting should not be over the basking spot? Also, I would like to get rid of the manual dripper and have the MistKing take it's place.
I have seen on several youtube videos the MistKing having the ability to create a sort of rain drop effect from atop the screen. Should I consider this in addition to a mist head?
Any thoughts?

Senior Chief,

Good call on a Mist-King. I've had mine from the beginning and haven't had any problems with it. If it crapped out at this point, I'd buy another. I run one head in a 24"x24"x48" set up. The plants and Lucky get all the water they want. You might start with one head and if you don't have the coverage you're looking for, you can always add another. I run my stock nozzle pointing slightly up and diagonal across the enclosure. You can do both the dripper and the Mist-King (I do), but the Mist-King should put out a sufficient quantity, depending on your watering schedule. You can try a "rain dome." It's not needed, but you can try it if you have time. Every chameleon is different and some like the rain dome vs. the mister.

MSMorgan - thanks for the info - I think I will start with one nozzle as you recommend and see how that works
BT
On another note - ordered my first Silk Worms and Eggs - a little excited to try my hand at raising and breeding them. Once I get the hang of them - gonna move on to Horn Worms. Any experience with either?

MSMorgan - thanks for the info - I think I will start with one nozzle as you recommend and see how that works
BT
On another note - ordered my first Silk Worms and Eggs - a little excited to try my hand at raising and breeding them. Once I get the hang of them - gonna move on to Horn Worms. Any experience with either?

No experience with Silks, but Lucky can't get enough hornworms. I usually order a cup a month (24 smalls) and feed him one every other day, or so. The horns are great for hydration and the blue/green coloration is irresistible to him. They usually come in pretty small, so I leave them at room temp. to let them grow and then transfer to wine cellar @ 50* to keep them from getting too big. Usually works out and never have extras.

I like the mistaking raindome. It sprays through the top of the screen, and creates droplets. It looks like a foggy rain. My chams love it!

James - Whats the make up of the rain dome? I do like the sound that and doesnt sound like it sprays water outside of the enclosure.

it's basically just having the nozzle spray the top of the screen instead of being inside of the cage. Mist still goes into the cage, but droplets form as well. I kind of did it out of laziness, but decided I like it better.

No experience with Silks, but Lucky can't get enough hornworms. I usually order a cup a month (24 smalls) and feed him one every other day, or so. The horns are great for hydration and the blue/green coloration is irresistible to him. They usually come in pretty small, so I leave them at room temp. to let them grow and then transfer to wine cellar @ 50* to keep them from getting too big. Usually works out and never have extras.

Well that sounds like a winner - Who do you order from?

rainbowmealworms.com is my go to as they are in CA and get to me pretty quickly. Depending on where your located, you might do some checking, or someone here might have a good line on them. One of the site's sponsors may be closer to you. I've gotten a couple "whoopsies" from them, but they've always taken care of me if something goes sideways.

I 100% second @MSMorgan on rainbowmealworms they are so great, even up here in Maine, I can order on a Sunday night and have them here by Tuesday with just their regular shipping rate. They are super healthy bugs too! Word of caution though if you order crickets in a higher number amount they may just come free range in the box, I was not aware of that and let's just say there are crickets still floating around the house! I also just ordered silkworm eggs from Mulberry farms to raise, they were quite easy. I did get an incubator like they suggested and only 10 did not hatch out of 500. You really would not need an incubator if your temps stay warm but we had 40 degrees the other night so incubate we must!! I did follow their directions from the website under the faq. Sorry this is so long I ramble..;)

To all - thanks for sharing your resource choices - I ordered my silkworms from coastal - a forum sponsor - we'll see how they work out.
"Steady as she goes"

IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1136.JPG Well folks - Ole Master Chief Clyde has been onboard a week and 1 day. Some evidence he's liking the chow and he took a shower this morning. He's ready to start standing watch!

IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1160.JPG Master Chief had his first shed today since he reported aboard - I would think this is another good sign of being a healthy Chameleon - all systems look normal

IMG_1168.JPG Morning folks - Been a few days since my last post on this thread - Master Chief Clyde is doing well - Had his first Wild Caught Katydid - I live in a county in Virginia with no Traffic Lights - not one and I live on 4 acres mostly wooded areas around me and so I'm not so worried about feeding WC insects - from my research and IMO I think the benefits nutritionally outway the risk.
Today is calcium w/ D3 and Vitamin day - I'm usimg the Rep-Cal Herptivite
Multi-vitamin w/ Beta Caratine and the instructions states to mix with a 1:1 ration of calcium
Question: Can I mix with Calcium w/ D3?
My initial plan is to do this bi-monthly.
Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom