Female veiled, don't know what's going on

kaytiller

Okay, so my cham has been acting odd lately. She's only about 6-7 months old (which is when I know they can produce eggs), however I don't know what they look like when they do that. Can someone help me? Today I found her at the bottom of her cage, and lately she's been less welcoming to me, like when I go to mist she turns all dark. What do gravid females look like? Or receptive ones? I've never really gotten a good look at the warning signs. Does anyone have any photos they could post that would help? I would appreciate that very much!! The only thing that makes me think she isn't carrying is that she's still eating perfectly fine (which people told me she wouldn't)

Also today after she came off the floor I noticed this weird bump, but didn't touch it. It could be nothing. I'm posting a pic, I'm talking about the thing above her hind leg. Does anyone think she could be carrying? Should I put a laying bin in? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really worried. I wasn't prepared for a female, I was kind of suckered into it, but I love her regardless, and trust me, I'm doing all I can to make her life perfect!

Any help is so greatly appreciate!

image.jpg

My female Veiled is the same age and is doing the same things, less welcoming even hissing, she is showing spotty or black most of the time. I put a egg bin in her cage and it was not even ten minutes before she was digging in it.
I cannot see the bump you are talking about but my female is rather plump right in front of her back legs.
she is also eating less at one time, basically saving the crickets to eat one at a time throughout the day. She is about to lay her first clutch of infertile eggs for sure.
I read in a blog here and a link from that blog that buying a gram scale or small kitchen scale and weighing my female on a weekly basis is a good way to determine if she has eggs in her. They will gain grams during and drop grams after. Once she is adult it will be easier using the scale method because her weight should be pretty stable.
I would get her a egg bin ASAP.

Don't wait too long before you have an egglaying Site set up for her. You don't want her to become eggbound. You will need an opaque container of washed playsand at least 12 " deep by 12 " by 8 ". The sand should be just moist enough to hold a tunnel.

scale

I agree the scale is a wonderful idea. i bought two of them at an expo for like $35 each. so they will probably be cheaper online. most don't seem to mind being weighed, even the females. just make sure it will weigh in grams. 60-180 range at least.

Back
Top Bottom