Female panther with puss on her eye...

Warrix642

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 22w-18d-36t

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Repti-sun 24"5.0 uvb 35w house bulb for heat something like 12-1 not to steady of a sched.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
High is around 80-84 low is around 72-74, I have multiple digital thermometors

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Lots of misting...no humidity gauge

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Ficus

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is in my bedroom with only me in here at night. The cage is about 3.5' off the ground. I run my fan at night, not by any vents or windows.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Dayton, Ohio

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
year old femal Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, I have had her for 9-10months

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Not often at all, maybe 2-3 times a month

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Mainly crickets, 8 med-large every other day, King -cricket gutload/Calcium water crystals

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
lightly dusting with Repti-cal w/o d3 almost everytime/T-rex calcium w d3 a few times a month

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Hand pumped mister for 2 mins 3 times daily with dripper everyday or so. She is a VERY good drinker, but hates the mistings...

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Fecal looks normal, not runny or dis-colored. Never been to the vet.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
She has been very healthy with no problems so far.

Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about

She is eating and drinking fine, but has something on the bottom of her eye hole. It looks like either skin(she hasn't shed recently and I dont think it is skin...) or some kinda dried puss. I tried to wipe it away and it was kinda stuck. I will post pics in an hour or 2. Does anybody know what this could be? I don't have a vet anywhere around that does chameleons... Hopefully the pics will help and I can get her healthy with a little help!!!

Thanks for your time,
Dustin

Here are some pics

It was hard to get a pic of the stuff on the eye. If you cant tell from this I can try to take more. Lmk what you think it may be and what I should do please. I heard to treat with tercymin(Sp???something like that) drops or ointment, prolly not a vit. A problem. I do want to add that it doesnt seem to bother her at all, she keeps her eye open all day, she still notices crickets and water fast and acts normal.
Thanks,
Dustin
View attachment 17120

View attachment 17121

View attachment 17122

View attachment 17123

I am a firm believer in taking my animals to the vet to diagnose their condition instead of just guessing at what medication to use, while the condition worsens if you are not treating with the correct medication. Extra misting are often recommended for eye problems along with cleaning out the eye. Some owners use Saline to flush the eye and the vets use terramycin or gentamicin depending on the problem......type of infection. In my opinion since she's not had a vets check up before anyway I would see a vet to get a check up and a fecal and get an experts advice on the eye.

I am a firm believer in taking my animals to the vet to diagnose their condition instead of just guessing at what medication to use, while the condition worsens if you are not treating with the correct medication. Extra misting are often recommended for eye problems along with cleaning out the eye. Some owners use Saline to flush the eye and the vets use terramycin or gentamicin depending on the problem......type of infection. In my opinion since she's not had a vets check up before anyway I would see a vet to get a check up and a fecal and get an experts advice on the eye.

I asked the vets around here if they have had cham exp. and all 5 said no but they can look at it anyways...Is this ok? Should I go to a vet that is just gonna be guessing? I figured advice from an owner that has been through this would know more that an iguana vet...I wish there was a good vet here but there isnt. What should I do, go to the vet that may mor may not know or try to treat it myself with help from here?
Thanks,
Dustin

I know that iguanas are very different from chameleons but most vets that see iguanas do have some knowledge of chams even if it is only book knowledge that is better than a dog & cat only vet. I work for a vet in Louisville, KY and we see many types of reptiles. Some one called and asked if we see many black throated moniters my answer would be no but we still treated it and it is back to healthy.

I know that iguanas are very different from chameleons but most vets that see iguanas do have some knowledge of chams even if it is only book knowledge that is better than a dog & cat only vet. I work for a vet in Louisville, KY and we see many types of reptiles. Some one called and asked if we see many black throated moniters my answer would be no but we still treated it and it is back to healthy.

I just found a vet and I have an appointment but if a vet is just getting this from a book why couldn't I just apply the knowledge myself as the vet would? He doesnt KNOW he is just reading, making a hyp. and following instructions...It would be a different story if I had a well known repected vet such as Dr. Greek(whom I call every once in a while) who KNOWS what the problems are and look like but some iguana vet just doesn't seem right. It makes me feel like we could be treating the wrong thing due to lack of cham knowledge...

Honestly, I'd make that two hour drivefor a vet. However, a vet expierienced in reptiles with some book knowledge is better than a plain dog and cat vet. Even the retile vet would be better than having us try to diagnose him. There are certain things that even an inexpierienced vet would notice that we could not because we only have pictures. Some things about all animals are universal, even more so with lizards even if they aren't from the same family. Try to find a good Cham vet, but if you absolutely can't a reptile expierienced vet is better than no vet.

Honestly, I'd make that two hour drivefor a vet. However, a vet expierienced in reptiles with some book knowledge is better than a plain dog and cat vet. Even the retile vet would be better than having us try to diagnose him. There are certain things that even an inexpierienced vet would notice that we could not because we only have pictures. Some things about all animals are universal, even more so with lizards even if they aren't from the same family. Try to find a good Cham vet, but if you absolutely can't a reptile expierienced vet is better than no vet.

Thank you I agree

Back
Top Bottom