Female Panther "Rescue"

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, I'm a sucker. I went to a pet store to pick up my 36x18x36 ExoTerra to start my bioactive build, and I walked out with a somewhat poorly female panther instead! Surprise! Amanda's a bleeding heart and just loves sickly things that no one else wants! o_O I just felt so awful for her that I teared up, and I just had to take her home with me.

I didn't think to take any pictures before I boxed her up and I'm currently on the way home (4 hour drive), but according to the pet store she's a female ambilobe panther chameleon and they recieved her as a juvenile during the summer last year. So, assuming they have their timeline straight, this little lady is about a year old. Apparently she hasn't laid eggs yet, and she isn't currently displaying gravid coloration... but I know that can't be entirely trusted.

According to the assistant manager of the store she eats and drinks readily, but frequently has her eyes closed as of late. She opens them back up when she's disturbed, but her eyes are slightly misshapen... likely some sort of vitamin deficiency. I saw her cleaning her eyea and scratching them eyes on a stick, so they're likely irritated as well. She was in a 16x16x30 screen enclosure with the dreaded combo dome and a water bowl, so her husbandry definitely hasn't been the greatest... but she doesn't look terribly far gone yet. She's even a bit on the chunky side!

This isnt exactly what i intended when I said I was going to get a panther... but my big terrarium can wait another month. I guess this little lady's going to get the royal treatment! Animals in need always have been good at finding me. Most of my pets have been unintentional!

I haven't quite decided on a name yet, but I'm considering something spring/Easter themed. "(Easter) Lily" and "Tulip" come to mind! Maybe "Lady Luck". :)

~Amanda

Interesting! I'll be sure to double check all of my supplements. Everything should be ok, and have all been purchased/opened within the last 5 months and stored in a dark cupboard at room temperature.

I'll dose the little lady with some vitamin A and maybe some BeneBact for good measure. Probably tomorrow, after she's had a chance to de-stress a little!

LILY is a great name ..they usally bloom in the muddy pound...I know u have a very kindly heart ( softy sounds better than sucker)...so I wont try and stop u to get this panther female.
Do ur best to find out every bits information from that assistant manager.things like lighting schedule..what type of feeder they been feeding her..how did she gets sick from the first place..etc..etc
Water bowl is definitely a no no
..im sure u already know
Please drive safe in the mean time..when u get home U can post more picture of her..and I will do my best to help you with my valuable unconditional thoughts.
Say hi to Lily for me if that is the name u choose after all.

Thank you! Yes, I do like the name Lily. It's growing on me! She's already on my lap (in a box of course) and we're hours from the store, so there's no going back now haha! I really cant help myself some days. At least I'm not the one driving!

The lights seem to have been 9a-9p, though I'd have to call to confirm. She was eating large crickets, silk worms, hornworms, and superworms at the shop, but I didnt think to ask them what they gutload with. My time was limited and I really wanted to get her out of there! I can always give them a call later. I'm sure her issues were husbandry related, given the lighting and water source, and the employees told me she's been slowly getting worse over the last month and they had been planning on taking her to a vet "soon" :rolleyes:

Unfortunately she'll have to put up with a 16x16x30 enclosure for another month or two while I get my bioactive enclosure together (so close!!), but at least the weather has been nice enough that she can come outside and hang on the porch with me if she feels so inclined.

Ohhhhh Amanda! I just love you and your heart! She will have the best chance with you. And Vets that will care about her as well!
So are you holding off on the little boy you were looking at?

D'aw, thanks Becca!! :love: I think I'll be holding off on my baby boy for now... there will be other babies, and this girl needs me more. Sometime in the future, though!!

It's so funny - this is the exact same thing that happened when I took in Monty! I had contacted a breeder and had a baby on hold, went to go and look at a cage, and ended up with a rescue bird! :LOL:

There is a thing call telephone so plz give them a call n find out everything u need to know...I will recommend early lighting schedule..since the sunrise are much earlier after daylight saving hours...for example if the lights goes on at 7...u can start feeding her at 8 so this way she can get enough time to warm up and its better for her digestive system before she retired to bed ..the food wont sit cold in her stomach over night and leads to problems for Lily.
One thing about the vitamin A..from what I learn is too much vitamin A can cause Edema..cause the fat soluable type will sit in the liver n possibly other organ not used up if its too much..Moderation will be your best choice...gutloading will be another subject if u are all ears with alphakenc.

Look up..."telphone"

As in "I'm not returning her" haha! :p it may come a as a surprise, but I can and do use a phone on a regular basis. ;)

Dont worry, I've done my research. I was originally going to bring home a male panther in August.. I'm just accelerating my timeline. I'll make a thread properly introducing her sometime either tonight or tomorrow (depending on whether I can get the night off work) with my proposed care regimen to have you lovely people double check me.

And thank you for the link! I recall reading that awhile back when I was researching vitamin A. It's good to have a refresher. :) I'll get her checked by the vet before I go dosing anything, just to be sure. Lily's a beefy lady, so getting a blood sample from her should be a breeze!

As in "I'm not returning her" haha! :p

Dont worry, I've done my research. I was originally going to bring home a male panther in August.. I'm just accelerating my timeline. I'll make a thread properly introducing her sometime either tonight or tomorrow (depending on whether I can get the night off work) with my proposed care regimen to have you lovely people double check me.

And thank you for the link! I recall reading that awhile back when I was researching vitamin A. It's good to have a refresher. :) I'll get her checked by the vet before I go dosing anything, just to be sure. Lily's a beefy lady, so getting a blood sample from her should be a breeze!
You got This! You have the support and a vet on standby every evening lol. She is one lucky lady!

Back
Top Bottom