Female Panther - Receptive

Randers88

Established Member
My female panther is seven months old now, and has got her eye on my ten month old male. There is a trellis in the males cage with vines that help block the view of each other but they are both spotted each other and are very interested. Shes grown very quickly the past few weeks... up to 64 grams now and is showing a very receptive salmon/pink color. I feel that shes probably too young / small to breed right now. Shes constantly roaming her cage and hanging on the walls closest to his so that he can see her, she's even been seen roaming the bottom of her cage even though we've been keeping a lay bin in there at all times for the past few weeks in case she becomes gravid.

We'd like to pair them but I'm afraid shes just to young/small currently as she hasn't even been gravid with an infertile clutch yet. I'm curious as to everyone else's experiences with breeding.

What age/size do you look for with females? Even though she is showing that she's receptive, I still want to look out for whats best for her health-wise.

Id wait until a year. It will do no harm and it will only benefit, if shes 64g now and showing receptive colors at 7 months she will most likely be a beautiful breeder in the future. Chameleons have amazing eye sight id advise putting a visual barrier so they can not see each other at all.

If your concern is health then wait a year before breeding. But if she starts to lay infertile eggs and you would eventually like to breed them then I would go ahead and do so. It will be no easier or harder on her if the are fertile or infertile eggs.

Ive read differing opinions on both letting them see each other and not. Now I wish I would have done better at keeping them out of each others site.
She’s been very receptive, to the point of trying to get to him. I’ve tried harder at keeping them apart but they both already know the other is there unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom